Gransnet forums

News & politics

No good reason still to vote Tory

(156 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:46:07

I have been reading and watching the various speeches at the Tory conference.

Blimey what a poor show it all is. The voter totally rejected them at the last election, and I can see absolutely nothing that will bring them back, particularly the traditional Tory voter.

Tax cuts everywhere together with spending cuts.

The voter knows exactly what that will bring - another 10 miserable years resulting in zero growth, getting poorer and continuing to turn their back on our nearest neighbours.

What a wretched message they are giving.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 14:59:22

I will say this for Badenoch though - she does cluelessness with such an air of confidence😄

LemonJam Tue 06-Oct-26 15:18:53

I agree Badenoch is coming across as clueless on her Iron Dome 'idea' as her various media appearances evidence she neither has or knows any detail.

She represents herself on media rounds confeddnelty but unless she has any substance, knowledge of her policies or detail- she lacks credibility.

Some may buy into her confident presentation style if style is everything. But unless she presents credible detail, of credible proposals and she has the right policy platform she'll find it too difficult to turn around the current Conservative Party fortunes by the next GE. She has detractors in her own party over such matters.

Gran22boys Tue 06-Oct-26 19:07:38

Iron Dome? Goodness if it comes to this I’m off. Not sure where though. What a world we now live in!

MaizieD Tue 06-Oct-26 19:30:49

I have just forced myself to read the first section of her document. The Right Way, her analysis of the economic situation and how she would go about rectifying it. It's complete nonsense, but I'm sure those of you who firmly believe that a country should be run on the same lines as a household would be perfectly happy to vote for her on the strength of it. Cut the state spending and let all those businesses with printing presses in their garages 'create wealth'...

LemonJam Tue 06-Oct-26 19:48:36

OK MaiziD you've persuaded me to give it a go - quoted verbatim from the Conservative Party website:

Kemi Badenoch has today published The Right Way a major statement of Conservative principles setting out how the Party will govern Britain differently if returned to office.

“A new dividing line has been drawn in politics. Andy Burnham has misdiagnosed Britain’s problem. His answers - greater government control, more government interventions, more decisions taken by the state - are wrong, wrong and wrong.
Britain’s problem is not that government does too little. It has taken responsibility for too much and forgotten how to deliver” .
Published at Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham, The Right Way comes fifty years after Margaret Thatcher’s Conservative Party published The Right Approach in October 1976 and applies its lessons to the challenges facing Britain today. That document was published three years before the 1979 Conservative manifesto and subsequent election victory.

Rather than beginning with a shopping list of policies, it established the intellectual foundations from which the policies of the next Conservative government would follow.
The Right Way follows the same approach. Badenoch argues that ‘Britain has been heading in the wrong direction for far too long because of successive governments treating the symptoms rather than the causes, often to correct the very problems they themselves have created. The Right Way argues that no amount of tweaking will fix a country whose foundations require repair*.

Badenoch has obviously forgotten that her Conservative Party was in government for 14 years until July 2024 and she was a Member of that government! I can see nothing in her document that corrects the problems the Conservative government and their austerity approach created over this 14 years period. Answers on a postcard for anyone else who is willing to give it a read and supports her 😊

The Right Way 2026 v Maggie’s 1975 The Right Approach and Iron Dome v Iron Lady it’s all very bizarre.

MaizieD Tue 06-Oct-26 21:13:43

My problem with her analysis, LemonJam is that she is working on the premise that government spending is funded solely by taxation and borrowings. What she doesn't say is where all this 'wealth' to be created by business is to come from and what the source of the 'borrowings is.

I have a challenge based on this, but I think it would be better on a new thread..

nanna8 Tue 06-Oct-26 23:51:07

I find it hard to know who to vote for here in Australia. None of the parties are what you would call inspiring. We have to vote or face a fine here. If I lived in the UK I would be even more at a loss - I suppose it is a case of ‘least worse’. The Animal rights party is looking good- Animal Farm revisited?

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-26 00:03:37

Johnson destroyed the Conservative Party. He threw out so many good, decent MP’s and many who weren’t thrown out wouldn’t serve under him anyway. Then it was sad to see MP’s like Tobias Ellwood lose their seats last time. We need a strong non Reform opposition.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Oct-26 08:24:59

I think that regardless of what she says Badenoch would cooperate with Reform in a heartbeat.

Dickens Wed 07-Oct-26 08:38:14

Whitewavemark2

I think that regardless of what she says Badenoch would cooperate with Reform in a heartbeat.

I was of the opinion that she was too sophisticated to consider a party that has a few characters who are a bit less so (eg, Lee Anderson) - but you might be right.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Oct-26 08:44:03

There is so much about which Farage and Badenoch agree.

Tax cuts, welfare cuts, cutting even further away from the EU, leaving the ECHR, cutting workers rights, they are almost the identical party imo. From what I’ve heard this week.

AGAA4 Wed 07-Oct-26 08:45:16

If it meant getting into No. 10 Badenoch would cooperate with Reform if they oust Farage. I believe they would do this in a heartbeat to get more power.

Sarnia Wed 07-Oct-26 08:52:24

AGAA4

If it meant getting into No. 10 Badenoch would cooperate with Reform if they oust Farage. I believe they would do this in a heartbeat to get more power.

Yes, she was very cagey when Chris Mason repeatedly asked her that very question so based on her reticence to deny it she very likely would cooperate.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 09:25:43

I will be voting for Labour as usual come the next GE, but if I wasn’t then I would vote Conservative without a doubt.
All the other political parties are rubbish.

Casdon Wed 07-Oct-26 09:26:25

Sarnia

AGAA4

If it meant getting into No. 10 Badenoch would cooperate with Reform if they oust Farage. I believe they would do this in a heartbeat to get more power.

Yes, she was very cagey when Chris Mason repeatedly asked her that very question so based on her reticence to deny it she very likely would cooperate.

Farage is the issue. She will cooperate when he has gone I suspect. He personally will never be part of a Tory/Reform coalition of any kind.

Dickens Wed 07-Oct-26 13:30:47

AGAA4

If it meant getting into No. 10 Badenoch would cooperate with Reform if they oust Farage. I believe they would do this in a heartbeat to get more power.

Yes, that seems feasible - if she thought it possible to re-create Reform in her own image and dust-off the fag-ash and beer-stains - so to speak. She does seem very ambitious...

At the moment though it appears her ambitions outweigh her capabilities. The current stall she's set out appears more or less a re-hash of the same old dogma we got under Osborne - and she doesn't have the affability of a David Cameron persona.

I don't think the Conservative party will do well under her leadership. Unfortunately, because we need a strong Opposition.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-26 13:42:54

It isn’t good for the country to not have a strong opposition. And it isn’t good either for a ruling party have a huge majority either.

Olivebranch Wed 07-Oct-26 13:47:27

Of course we want tax cuts— we are being taxed to death.
Great conference and fab Kemi speech.

Susieq62 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:40:03

I remember Thatcher and her Right Policies giving us the housing crisis we have now! Plus decimated our industries and utilities.
I voted for my local Tory councillor as she does a great job for our local town within our metropolitan council. Our previous MP was Phillip Davies who placed a bet against himself winning at the last general election and he won a substantial amount.
We now have a very hard working, visual Labour MP who always responds to my emails/ concerns. 3 years is a long time in politics.

Earthmother9 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:50:08

They all lie.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 14:51:02

“Doodledog

Cossy
25Avalon
Not impressed by any party. Liebour, sorry Labour, tell lies, the Greens aren’t green anymore. None of them do what they were voted in for.
Honestly, do you really think jibes like that are in any way helpful?
It's not even an original insult, but copied from another 'wit'.”

Doodledog Indeed, I see it on fb regularly, and to use another really grim expression “it gives me the ick”.

I like to believe we here are “better” than fb grin

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 14:53:53

Olivebranch

Of course we want tax cuts— we are being taxed to death.
Great conference and fab Kemi speech.

Are we?

If you look to other European countries, such as Scandinavia and Austria and Switzerland, their taxes and cost of living are high, but their lives seem so much “better” than ours.

Even the ultra rich decent people in the UK have stated they are happy to pay more for the sake of the many.

vegansrock Wed 07-Oct-26 15:01:25

Tax cuts but increase in spending on prisons, defence, police etc etc not sure how that works…. Did she say anything about health and social care? As for the “Britannia Shield” it will henceforth be known as BS.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:02:31

MayBee70

It isn’t good for the country to not have a strong opposition. And it isn’t good either for a ruling party have a huge majority either.

I completely agree.

Despite our previous coalition leaving a nasty taste, for me anyhow, I’d like to see far closer cross party working and cooperation.

I’d actively support a two or three way coalition and a just a little more thought from all MPs, from all parties, as to their real roles!

It’s certainly not the ruination of our country nor playing to the cameras on TV.

It’s about giving all of our citizens a voice, ensuring every household has access to services, a roof over their heads, nutritious affordable food for them and their children.

We neither need nor want any more races to the bottom for many and the old privileged few laughing all the way to the bank.

I have zero issues with private enterprises, money making, choice, so long as this isn’t to the detriment of others.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:03:02

vegansrock

Tax cuts but increase in spending on prisons, defence, police etc etc not sure how that works…. Did she say anything about health and social care? As for the “Britannia Shield” it will henceforth be known as BS.

BS love it 🤣😂🤣