Gransnet forums

News & politics

No good reason still to vote Tory

(121 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:46:07

I have been reading and watching the various speeches at the Tory conference.

Blimey what a poor show it all is. The voter totally rejected them at the last election, and I can see absolutely nothing that will bring them back, particularly the traditional Tory voter.

Tax cuts everywhere together with spending cuts.

The voter knows exactly what that will bring - another 10 miserable years resulting in zero growth, getting poorer and continuing to turn their back on our nearest neighbours.

What a wretched message they are giving.

Primrose53 Wed 07-Oct-26 21:43:50

Meandrogrog

Pilgrimandrew

Can't believe the number of deluded left wing voters on this forum, especially when the demographic must be such that most are pensioners. Any vote for Labour is a vote for the continued down grading and destruction of our wonderful nation. Most of us on here must be old enough to know, and have experienced, that socialism doesn't work, it never has and never will.

Well said 👏👏👏👏

Oh I missed that post from pilgrimandrew but I agree too. As soon as I could vote I voted Labour because my parents did as did the whole neighbourhood.

I carried on voting Labour until the Blair years but nothing would convince me to vote for them now.

Meandrogrog Wed 07-Oct-26 21:24:08

Pilgrimandrew

Can't believe the number of deluded left wing voters on this forum, especially when the demographic must be such that most are pensioners. Any vote for Labour is a vote for the continued down grading and destruction of our wonderful nation. Most of us on here must be old enough to know, and have experienced, that socialism doesn't work, it never has and never will.

Well said 👏👏👏👏

petra Wed 07-Oct-26 20:59:43

I’ve never been a fan of Beth Rigby but I gave her full marks when she was interviewing some of the party faithful.
The came out of the hall like giggling schoolgirls high on Kemi.
They couldn’t wait to tell her how wonderful it all was.
Then Beth Rigby produced the sucker punch by quoting the polling figures. That dampened the euphoria somewhat.

WithNobsOnIt Wed 07-Oct-26 20:57:26

Would never vote Tory and think the party which was set up to serve the rich and landed gentry is almost finished.

However l think Kemi Badenoch is impressive and should set up her own Party.

JPB123 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:46:17

Well said Kemi .

NanKate Wed 07-Oct-26 20:42:06

I agree Primrose53 👍

Primrose53 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:03:22

I thought she gave a very impressive speech. She is a force to be reckoned with.

Suzieque66 Wed 07-Oct-26 19:49:17

Errr hello ... what about Kemi saying that no one would have to lose money with the Inheritance Tax ? Surely that's not bad ?

JamesandJon33 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:50:09

I have absolutely no idea what was said in that speech. I turned it off as everyone was clapping at the end of each sentence. Utterly stupid

Susieq62 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:45:50

Thanks Cossy. It is definitely man flu or man covid .☹️

MaizieD Wed 07-Oct-26 17:43:23

vegansrock

Tax cuts but increase in spending on prisons, defence, police etc etc not sure how that works…. Did she say anything about health and social care? As for the “Britannia Shield” it will henceforth be known as BS.

I'd really laugh if she manages to pull that one off. It's veering towards the MMT message that taxation doesn't fund spending.

I don't say that the media would murder her for it in the same way that they would go for a Labour leader, but there's far too much vested interest in the very convenient ;a country's budget is like a household budget' myth to let her get away with it.

Anyway, in her 'The Right Way' publication she's telling us that the country has, or is about to, maxed out its credit card (which is actually total nonsense) so I can't reconcile these two different ideas...

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 17:31:53

Susieq62

Cossy thank you for saying exactly what I think and feel plus experiencing even now as a volunteer in a primary school. Those on minimum wages/ universal credit/ stagnant salaries have to spend every penny they receive. So they actually put far more into local economies than any billionaire does. They are not in a position to hire accountants to hide wealth. What they earn, they spend.
I agree with Angela Raynor that empty properties should be taken off the hands of those who allow them to deteriorate, then given to people as a starting point on affordable rents. So simple yet effective. Plus, tough if you are a property developer sitting on long term land/ properties, You have ripped off enough people in our country already.
I could go on but the other half has either flu or COVID so requires some tic.

Hope your OH feels better soon. flowers

Giraffe01 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:22:19

The choice, ruthless, leftie Burnham, simplistic Liberals, changed beyond recognition Greens, Reform, who knows, I will go with Kemi!

Susieq62 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:14:02

Cossy thank you for saying exactly what I think and feel plus experiencing even now as a volunteer in a primary school. Those on minimum wages/ universal credit/ stagnant salaries have to spend every penny they receive. So they actually put far more into local economies than any billionaire does. They are not in a position to hire accountants to hide wealth. What they earn, they spend.
I agree with Angela Raynor that empty properties should be taken off the hands of those who allow them to deteriorate, then given to people as a starting point on affordable rents. So simple yet effective. Plus, tough if you are a property developer sitting on long term land/ properties, You have ripped off enough people in our country already.
I could go on but the other half has either flu or COVID so requires some tic.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 17:09:05

TerriBull

I think the connection to the thread Casdon is this, "No Good Reason to Vote Tory" maybe so! However, I'm also finding, for me there maybe no good reason to vote Labour either. As outlined above, I do not approve of the state acquiring privately owned property, I can understand maybe in the cases of landlords who haven't maintained their properties and leave them abandoned. Not in the case of inherited property where those who have been left homes in a will might be trying to sell. It just smacks of that nasty "possession is 9/10ths of the law" underhand procurement

Secondly my other reasons for struggling to vote Labour, and I await the budget, but I'd go along with GG, I think they've done nothing for business.

Thirdly, I'm appalled that the growth of welfare benefit payouts outpacing the salaries of those who are working.

You’re not wrong!
Labour have never really understood business it’s their main failing.

TerriBull Wed 07-Oct-26 17:06:32

StoneofDestiny

TerriBull
I think it's wrong for the state to acquire properties under such circumstances when the owners, may not be living there but are having the home acquired against their wishes

Have you the save view about the houses that were compulsory purchased to allow HS2 to be built? These houses were lived in and the owners had the houses taken. So many now lie empty as the HS2 route changed!

And who exactly benefits from HS2 - what part of the UK? Was it even necessary or just another vanity project?

Yes!

Agreed! an abysmal failed vanity project and a colossal waste of money,

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 17:05:51

GrannyGravy13

If posters are going to start with the hackneyed old trope of the right being selfish and entitled don’t be surprised when the opposite trope of politics of envy is used in relation to the Labour Party 🤦‍♀️

Personally I feel name calling in general and towards political parties is a sign of an argument lost 🤷‍♀️

Well said GrannyGravy13 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Casdon Wed 07-Oct-26 17:04:21

Explaining, sorry, that didn’t make sense.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:03:55

If posters are going to start with the hackneyed old trope of the right being selfish and entitled don’t be surprised when the opposite trope of politics of envy is used in relation to the Labour Party 🤦‍♀️

Personally I feel name calling in general and towards political parties is a sign of an argument lost 🤷‍♀️

StoneofDestiny Wed 07-Oct-26 17:03:48

TerriBull
I think it's wrong for the state to acquire properties under such circumstances when the owners, may not be living there but are having the home acquired against their wishes

Have you the save view about the houses that were compulsory purchased to allow HS2 to be built? These houses were lived in and the owners had the houses taken. So many now lie empty as the HS2 route changed!

And who exactly benefits from HS2 - what part of the UK? Was it even necessary or just another vanity project?

Casdon Wed 07-Oct-26 17:00:48

Thanks for explains your views TerriBull, your original statement makes more sense to me now.

StoneofDestiny Wed 07-Oct-26 16:57:09

Cringeworthy stuff from KB - flattered by a ‘nice outfit, nice speech’ email and reverting to herself as the no nonsense mummy to her party. Geezo - talk about paddling backwards.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 16:56:27

StoneofDestiny Crossed posts but 👍👍👍👏👏👏

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 16:55:32

No, selfishness isn’t the definition of the Conservative Party.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 16:55:13

Pilgrimandrew

Can't believe the number of deluded left wing voters on this forum, especially when the demographic must be such that most are pensioners. Any vote for Labour is a vote for the continued down grading and destruction of our wonderful nation. Most of us on here must be old enough to know, and have experienced, that socialism doesn't work, it never has and never will.

Perhaps you’re a fan of “austerity”.

I can assure you that having spent 13 out of my 14 years in the Civil Service, under the Tories, and can confirm many services were cut to the bone in many areas (during this time I was Chair of Finance and Deputy-Chair of a local primary school).

I was personally worse off year on year with my salary frozen for 10 years, yet my NI and pensions payments rising year on year.

At the primary school I governed (not part of an Academy) we watched with horror our healthy school budget decrease year on year and the services received from our local authority diminish, year on year, with the schools support services haemorrhaging staff til there were just two left to support our 26+ schools (unitary authority).

Even today at my daughter’s primary school (teacher not pupil), she regularly buys her own supplies and teaching assistants are down to their lowest levels.

It’s a deprived area and has many Special Educational Needs pupils, but due to cuts in their almost bankrupt LA, they’ve cut the staff required to assess children, so no extra money given to bolster school budgets in order to employ the staff needed to give both pupils and teachers the support they so richly deserve and require.

It’s not the Labour Party who’ve wrecked our country.

It’s not the politics of envy, it’s not even the division that the likes of Farage and Lowe have created, it’s sheer greed.

The greed that encourages people to build wealth, yet not to “share”.

The ridiculous myth that working all the hours god sends results in a high standard of living.

We are still a society of “haves” and “have nots”, and it’s not as simple as get a job!

Many many of those not doing well financially have jobs, full time jobs, work very hard and it’s those middle salary, hard working folks that teach, nurse, can our food, deliver our food, in many cases grow our food, cut our hair, clean our streets, bake our bread, many many jobs which leave families simply “getting by”, whilst those at the very top “hide” their money offshore or spend shedloads outside of our country.

People who create wealth inside this country aren’t always the people spending it here, inside our own economy.

It’s the “little” people who do that.

Whilst those in our privately owned utilities and services give lip service to its users and pay fat dividends to shareholders, take huge bonuses and leave us with tainted water, old, dirty public transport which rarely runs on times, postal services where we receive our hospital appointment notifications after our appointment has passed, and so many other failings.

Yet here we are, blaming people arriving on boats for all our struggles.

Frankly, it’s pathetic and not good enough!