Gransnet forums

News & politics

No good reason still to vote Tory

(156 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:46:07

I have been reading and watching the various speeches at the Tory conference.

Blimey what a poor show it all is. The voter totally rejected them at the last election, and I can see absolutely nothing that will bring them back, particularly the traditional Tory voter.

Tax cuts everywhere together with spending cuts.

The voter knows exactly what that will bring - another 10 miserable years resulting in zero growth, getting poorer and continuing to turn their back on our nearest neighbours.

What a wretched message they are giving.

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 12:49:04

And yet, and yet....they have to get their heads clear and produce a set of policies that we saw to old style conservatism to produce the kind of appeal to those who care but would otherwise vote reform.

Reform totally lack social policies that convince in anyway, and there is an opportunity with Farage's greed and gifts and the Count Binface saga to provide a realistic alternative to those who do not support Labour

Fallingstar Tue 06-Oct-26 12:53:27

Whitewavemark2

Yesterday we had the uncomfortable spectacle of one shadow minister announcing that he wants yo get rid of the 20mph entirely.

Since the enforcement there has been a massive 34% drop in death and injury particularly amongst children overall and Edinburgh and Hill are reporting an overwhelming 64% decrease in child casualties.

What planet are these Tories living on to want to inflict this back onto children again?

Oh my, they are really reaching with the speed limit. Who wants more of our children to die.
Lamentable.

Fallingstar Tue 06-Oct-26 12:55:40

I know there are a lot of Tories sitting on the fence, who voted Labour last time, who want the party to return to centre right policies and to stop chasing Reform.

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 12:56:24

OK. Listen up about whats happening behind the scenes.

What few know about is the 878 group: a British-American think tank co-founded by former Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg and his former special adviser, Dr Radomir Tylecote. Now Mogg is well liked as a constituency MP becuase he does care, but if you look up his little series of homilies on U tube he is heading for re-election for the conservatives but with a big Reform flavour.

And listen up more: the 878 group is funded by Trump and co.

"Overview and Mission
• Founding: Incorporated at Companies House in March 2026.
• Leadership: Founded by Jacob Rees-Mogg and Radomir Tylecote.
• Stated Goals: Focused on cultural and political research, including the rediscovery of traditional culture, restoring Judeo-Christian values, and ending mass immigration.
US Funding Controversy

• Proposed Grants: The US State Department planned to allocate a $7 million no-bid grant to the 878 group as part of a wider allocation of funds to UK conservative-linked organisations

AI backed by the cited Guardian Article that has revealed the story:

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/jul/17/trump-administration-to-grant-12m-to-groups-founded-by-uk-conservatives-jacob-rees-mogg-and-toby-young

Quote from it, tho really do look at the whole thing

Exclusive: Grants are part of controversial package criticised as misuse of public money to influence European politics

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 12:58:30

They are set to challenge Badenoch, and what is needed for more mid ground folks is another more effective leader.

Peacelilydilly Tue 06-Oct-26 13:02:36

I won't be voting Tory again after 14 years in power and what they did to this once great country and I also won't be voting Labour either they are just excellerating the decline started by the Tories.

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 13:12:57

The Tories definitely in their time with austerity policies accelerated the huge decline in social care and the NHS and decline in Education and were ineffective as regards immigration and failed to address abuse of women and children:

It seems to me that Burnham is now addressing it in a way few have to stop the decline: all his policies point in that direction: better to vote Labour critically or even better join in order to influence future policies in a way thatyou think needful: what do you thing we do in LP meetings? Drink tea and sit on hands?

I have just highlighted real dangers to the Tories from Rees Mogg and friends!

MaizieD Tue 06-Oct-26 13:20:27

Now Mogg is well liked as a constituency MP

Errr. Rees Mogg was voted out in 2024.

Stated Goals: Focused on cultural and political research, including the rediscovery of traditional culture, restoring Judeo-Christian values, and ending mass immigration.

I really can't see that appealing to many more than, perhaps, the over 60s.

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 13:29:57

I am intrigued, MaizieD, to see where 878 goes, it wields a lot of being the scenes support and they are talking behind the scenes with Reform.

Yes he was voted out but so were a large number of Tories, and he is known locally to listen to his constituents in a rather paternalistic way when it comes to personal help, as are a number of other Tories. It comes out in his U tube homilies although rather Kinde Kuche Kirche to women and dont ask for help on abortion.

That sort of personal support is an across the board issue, it's to do with the style of constituency management and the willingness to listen in surgeries.

Although who can forget That Photo.......

25Avalon Tue 06-Oct-26 13:32:59

IMO some of Jacob Rees Mogg’s policies are very akin to those of Reform. However the vote was split between Rees Mogg and the Reform candidate permitting Dan Norris to be voted in as Labour MP at the last election where the constituency boundaries had been altered. Norris continued being the WECA Mayor for several months earning double salary. He was then charged with alleged sexual offences, was suspended from Westminster and became an independent mp who can only vote by proxy. This situation prevails and the constituency is not properly served.

Yes Jacob was a good constituency MP. Norris was Ok when he previously represented Wansdyke several years ago. I have voted for both of them in my time. I think Jacob has a good chance next time round.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 13:43:18

I have one reason to vote Tory in the next general election - our excellent Conservative MP.

MaizieD Tue 06-Oct-26 13:45:00

Peacelilydilly

I won't be voting Tory again after 14 years in power and what they did to this once great country and I also won't be voting Labour either they are just excellerating the decline started by the Tories.

I, naturally, agree with you about the tory contribution to the decline of the UK and I am very much afraid that unless Labour has the courage to repudiate the economic 'orthodoxy' created by Thatcher and perpetuated ever since they will go in exactly the same direction, for all Burnham's grand ideas.

We simple have to stop believing the myths that a) a country is just the same as a household or a business and has the same constraints and b) that taxation funds government spending (and now it seems, c) that what the bond markets want are more important than what the country needs).

I am living in dread of the Budget at the end of this month because what I am hearing from our new Chancellor seems to indicate that nothing is going to change and we are looking at what will, in effect, still be 'austerity'. Which must be the most stupid economic policy inflicted on the UK, or any other country.

MaizieD Tue 06-Oct-26 13:51:03

I'm afraid that, however appealing they may be, good constituency MPs can do nothing to alter their party's really bad national policies.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 13:54:07

MaizieD

I'm afraid that, however appealing they may be, good constituency MPs can do nothing to alter their party's really bad national policies.

I am well aware of that, but going by recent local and county elections to vote Labour will let Reform in. Something I am not a fan of.

valdali Tue 06-Oct-26 13:59:01

Cossy

Casdon

They have a leadership issue. Keeping a lower profile for the time being until Reform burn themselves out would have seen a faster rise in the polls for the Tories in my opinion.

I agree and it’s so crucial to have strong and sensible opposition whoever is in power.

Sensible, yes. I don't quite know why Kemi has to oppose or denigrate any suggestion the Government put forward, even if it's one that practically dovetails with previously stated Tory policy on the issue.
I don't know why she won't give cross-party working over the issue of social care a chance, being as the PM isn't suggesting that cos he's short of labour MPs to vote it through - so he genuinely wants to reach a concensus to ensure any solution is long-lasting & not tossed here & there by party politics.
Tax cut ideas are silly, they're trying to justify keeping the super-rich happy with the trickle-down theory again - although that's been tried & not lived up to the hype so often now that re-iterating it sounds a bit as though they're pulling the woll over our eyes.

LemonJam Tue 06-Oct-26 14:14:45

GrannyGravy13

I have one reason to vote Tory in the next general election - our excellent Conservative MP.

The trouble is there are only 118 Conservative MPs currently compared to 403 Labour.

If every one of the current Conservative MPS in those 118 constituencies are well liked and doing a good job and get voted in gains at the next GE that doesn't solve the current dire situation for the Conservative Party.

If it doesn't win lost voters back and doesn't win new voters it's still doomed. That alongside Reform and Restore splitting and eating into Right wing voters hearts and minds.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Oct-26 14:17:48

LemonJam Labour were well and truly in the doldrums post Tony Blair and especially Gordon Brown, look how they have regrouped and the large majority they now have 🤷‍♀️

Doodledog Tue 06-Oct-26 14:29:10

Cossy

25Avalon

Not impressed by any party. Liebour, sorry Labour, tell lies, the Greens aren’t green anymore. None of them do what they were voted in for.

Honestly, do you really think jibes like that are in any way helpful?

It's not even an original insult, but copied from another 'wit'.

Mollygo Tue 06-Oct-26 14:30:58

25Avalon

Not impressed by any party. Liebour, sorry Labour, tell lies, the Greens aren’t green anymore. None of them do what they were voted in for.

It’s sad, but it’s true.
Though I’m sure you’ll get your knuckles rapped for telling that truth.

LemonJam Tue 06-Oct-26 14:33:28

Current 118 MPs is the lowest number of Conservative MPs in history. The party lost more seats than it ever has in any GE in history. There must be a reason for that that is more than just wanting a change. Even if it was just wanting a change- what is the change som many lost voters wanted? I'm not sure Badenoch has grasped what that reason is- and if she has why isn't she sharing that detail? How is that informing her goals and policy agenda? The public clearly disliked austerity and running public services to the ground. We are all living with the consequences.

Unless the reason for losing their voters is overturned the party won't win a majority. Unless it also gains new voters it won't win a majority at next GE. Unless it does something different it won't win (if that is the reason they lost the last GE). Unless it stops losing voters to Reform UK and Restore it won't win the next GE.

What is different in Badenoch's messaging so far since last GE - now 27 months ago? Time is ticking on- she's very slow burn. There is only the same amount of time again to get her house and the right policy platform in order to prepare for next GE.

If there is a coup against Badenoch meanwhile that will reduce the party's time opportunity to turn things round further. AB secured his coup earlier in the summer ( with fall out) but leaving three years to see how he gets on, secure party change in fortunes and for the public to see what he achieves (or not as the case may be).

Unless a new, ambitious, ruthless (they always are by necessity and definition) a Conservative party leadership bid contender must not only secure success in a leadership vote, must also communicate a bold vision and win over enough hearts and minds of lost and new voters, must achieve high, personal favourability ratings (like AB) before the next GE to win.

25Avalon Tue 06-Oct-26 14:34:23

Mollygo

25Avalon

Not impressed by any party. Liebour, sorry Labour, tell lies, the Greens aren’t green anymore. None of them do what they were voted in for.

It’s sad, but it’s true.
Though I’m sure you’ll get your knuckles rapped for telling that truth.

Already have. That’s why I post and run😂😂😂

Doodledog Tue 06-Oct-26 14:39:04

Everyone should feel free to speak what they see as the truth. Others will agree or disagree. It's the plagiarised puns that irritate me, not the differences of opinion. And I don't think that pointing that out is rapping anyone on the knuckles, it is just offering an opinion too.

62Granny Tue 06-Oct-26 14:46:09

Never a good time to vote Tory tbh🙄 but I agree I really can't see a party at the moment to take this country forward, on paper I should be a Liberal but the one time I voted for them they went to bed with Cameron, that put me off as I felt my vote had been wasted. If a general election would be called suddenly I only know who I Wouldn't Vote for, so will need too narrow it down.

Maremia Tue 06-Oct-26 14:53:11

I would never vote Tory, my choice
but,
I do understand why some GNs will vote for the Politician who has been effective in their own constituency.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 14:56:11

Badenoch thinks that she has identified a weakness in the government over defence - we shall know more possibly - but I probably in the budget - more likely in the 10 year plan.

So Badenoch announced the Tory plan for an iron dome (but we mustn’t call it that).

Unfortunately there was sheer embarrassment on Nick Ferrari’s show this morning. Badenoch announced that the Tories were going to introduce a type of iron dome (although we mustn’t call it that)
However, she was unable to describe it, outline its capabilities, whether it would operate on land, sea or air, and in fact she appeared to be utterly clueless. She did know though, how much it would cost - £10bn - a figure that must have been plucked out of thin air.