Gransnet forums

House and home

Frying pan advice please

(13 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 14:16:55

I want to buy a large frying pan as a gift. I am still using my massive cast iron one from the 1970s which weighs a ton but I can fry, make omelettes, steam, put it in the oven etc with no problem. I am also used to heavy pans...

The person I'm buying for is just now aware of the non-stick coatings leeching into foods but is used to non-stick.

Some pans are £300 plus 😱

They have a busy family. If it could go in a dishwasher that would be a bonus.
They don't have induction now but will be moving probably next year...

Any suggestions that are at least (nearly) non-stick?
And durable...
And easy-care...
Up to (absolute maximum) £150 for a 28cm-ish size?

Thank you!

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 14:17:42

...and ideally not as heavy as cast iron!!!

Elusivebutterfly Thu 08-Oct-26 14:40:37

I had no idea frying pans cost that much. I go to M&S or Sainsbury's if I need one and they are much cheaper.

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-26 14:55:18

Look at Scoville Neverstick pans. I bought one of their sauté pans this year and it’s really very good. Dishwasher safe - easy to clean. They do a range of frying pans, including ones with an oven safe handle.

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 15:42:35

Thanks Greyduster I'm sure it works well as they have great reviews.

I'm looking for something PTFE free really though.

Their existing pans that they want to replace are not PTFE free and as far as I can tell neither are the Scoville, sadly.

Sago Thu 08-Oct-26 15:59:24

Hexclad of you have the budget.

Scoville if not.

midgey Thu 08-Oct-26 17:35:37

Try TKMaxx, they have really good bargains.

ClicketyClick Thu 08-Oct-26 17:46:23

Have a look at Longwell - 28cm just under £60 and PTFE free

longwellco.com/products/hand-hammered-titanium-pan

25Avalon Thu 08-Oct-26 17:53:34

Stainless steel will go in the dishwasher. Several brands are available. Stella is good.

AuntieE Thu 08-Oct-26 18:11:45

I would suggest you buy a good quality stainless steel frying-pan and make sure it can be used on induction, if they are likely to be moving.

Grammaretto Thu 08-Oct-26 18:37:36

I've found excellent ones at Lakeland. I like a lid on mine and theirs were the best. The non stick surface doesn't peel off like the Lidl one I had previously had.

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-26 21:46:31

I would second Stellar as an excellent brand but I get rid of a complete set of pans because they weren’t induction compatible. They may be different now.

twiglet77 Thu 08-Oct-26 21:51:05

Look in Lakeland if budget permits, otherwise IKEA pans are really good.