Gransnet forums

News & politics

No good reason still to vote Tory

(156 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:46:07

I have been reading and watching the various speeches at the Tory conference.

Blimey what a poor show it all is. The voter totally rejected them at the last election, and I can see absolutely nothing that will bring them back, particularly the traditional Tory voter.

Tax cuts everywhere together with spending cuts.

The voter knows exactly what that will bring - another 10 miserable years resulting in zero growth, getting poorer and continuing to turn their back on our nearest neighbours.

What a wretched message they are giving.

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 11:08:08

Agreed, Cossy.

DaisyAnneReturns Thu 08-Oct-26 12:27:00

Your argument fails because the Conservative Party is not a far right Party and Labour is not a far Left Party. (Oreo)

Everyone, so they say, loves a tryer Oreo. Unfortunately, this try doesn't actually establish that my argument fails. Without establishing criteria, your statement is an assertion, not a refutation of my argument. Add to that the fact that I didn't once use the words Conservative or Labour in my reply and it seems we are moving into the land of make believe.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 08-Oct-26 16:09:04

Lots of discussions about the changing of IHT under Ms Badenoch's watch seems to have missed the part where she said " when we can afford it".
Of course, this, potentially, could be never.

Dickens Thu 08-Oct-26 17:51:29

Chocolatelovinggran

Lots of discussions about the changing of IHT under Ms Badenoch's watch seems to have missed the part where she said " when we can afford it".
Of course, this, potentially, could be never.

hmm ... a get-out 'clause' then?

A bit rash to make that sort of 'commitment': people for whom this really matters won't feel kindly toward her or the party if it looks like it's not going to happen in the near future - will they?

I'm not a natural Tory voter, yet I'm disappointed in KB - I thought at one time she might make a good leader for a strong Opposition. For a party that's sitting 3rd in the polls, I think her policy announcements lacked substance.

In her closing speech, she acknowledged the party's 'mistakes', but I can't remember if she said what those were.

It didn't help that the event was sparsely attended - but those that were there were tight knit.

Ever so many years ago now, I once worked for a woman - also originating from Nigeria - in what was then called The Office of Manpower Economics. We were a group of, mostly, 'temps'. She was not easy to work for because one could never challenge her ideas and, she could be quite disdainful and dismissive in her response.

Yet, on one occasion, when I was stymied by my then baby-sitter and couldn't find anyone to look after my son, she was extraordinarily gracious, and suggested I just bring him in to work with me. She had children of her own so would be quite aware of the chaos this could cause which, for a short time, it did; but she was really helpful and kind about it. KB reminds me so much of her - she, too, was very gracious towards Starmer during his final speech when he thanked her for her support behind the scenes.

KB always, to me, looks a bit fierce and 'determined' but she obviously has a more gentle side - I don't know how much that will matter though in the political arena - or the bear-pit that the House sometimes resembles.

LemonJam Thu 08-Oct-26 18:18:31

I also wonder why Badenoch keeps referring to "past mistakes' but never actually says what these mistakes she's referring to are 🤷‍♀️

Badenoch is more popular within her party this year than she was at last Year's C party conference. However her party is still 4 points below the vote share the C party secured in July GE. So not propelling the party forward in public electoral intentions context. The C party has gained some pints in the polls recently I acknowledge (at the expense of Reform UK) but still lower than 2025 GE.