Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hegseth wants to livestream execution !

(55 Posts)
Syracute Fri 09-Oct-26 01:08:28

edition.cnn.com/2026/10/08/politics/pete-hegseth-vows-to-make-first-firing-squad-execution-in-decades-public

Syracute Fri 09-Oct-26 01:11:15

Disgusting and barbaric!!!
I am very concerned that children may be exposed to it .

Margs Fri 09-Oct-26 03:57:04

What kind of moral vacuum operates in US politics? And US culture in general?

But I bet there'll be an overwhelming demand for tickets with Trump negotiating for his ten percent.

imaround Fri 09-Oct-26 05:09:46

These is actually a rather large push back. It is disgusting and Hegseth should be impeached and charged.

nanna8 Fri 09-Oct-26 05:16:32

Sick puppies. Going back to the sixteenth century- or did he never leave it ?

Macaydia Fri 09-Oct-26 05:57:54

My thoughts exactly Syracuse. The poor children trying to develop into this adulthood, exactly.

Allsorts Fri 09-Oct-26 06:14:05

What a sick culture. Words fail.

LaCrepescule Fri 09-Oct-26 06:31:17

Words. Fail. Me. Pike’s failed execution and now this. Bring back medieval values!

Grandmabatty Fri 09-Oct-26 06:44:08

This descent into barbarism doesn't surprise me, sadly. I feel for ordinary Americans who are living this. God knows how bad it will get

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 09-Oct-26 07:02:59

Unbelievable. We stopped having public executions in this country in Victorian times. Charles Dickens was instrumental in having executions moved behind closed doors. What has the USA become?

Greyduster Fri 09-Oct-26 07:12:58

I feel for the men who have to carry out this disgusting public spectacle. Firing on an enemy in the fog of war is bad enough - and many of those called upon to make up the firing squad will not even have had to do that - but I’m sure none ever thought they’d have to carry out an execution.

Greyduster Fri 09-Oct-26 07:16:17

Perhaps they should invite the odious Mr Hegseth and his disgusting boss to take up a rifle. It would probably be the first and last time they ever did!

Grandmabatty Fri 09-Oct-26 07:22:00

I don't think the USA have had execution by firing squad for a very long time, although I might be wrong.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 07:29:24

I think it was the 1940s Grandmabatty - but public executions were deemed disgusting and barbaric when done by (say) the Taliban...

What have we become if we don't speak out now?
I hope we do.

Smileless2012 Fri 09-Oct-26 07:32:19

What on earth has happened to America shock

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 07:34:02

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmy0r96xygx6o

It was actually 1945

There were 2,700 executions across 17 countries last year, only two countries carried them out publicly.

Eleven in Iran and six in Afghanistan. (Amnesty International.)

tanith Fri 09-Oct-26 07:44:53

I’m disgusted they would even contemplate doing this America is out of control.

Oreo Fri 09-Oct-26 07:59:44

It isn’t right to livestream any execution, I think they’re sending a message to those in the military.The man due to be shot was in the army and murdered 13 unarmed soldiers on his base.

Magenta8 Fri 09-Oct-26 08:01:23

Just when you think the USA under Trump could not sink any lower, it does. The cage fighting in front of the White House pales into insignificance.

What kind of monster is Hegseth to not only arrange an execution by firing squad but to have it live streamed on TV?

Now, when I think of the USA, I see it as a Hieronymous Bosch painting.

Oreo Fri 09-Oct-26 08:05:15

Hasan killed 13 and injured 32 in order to ‘protect Muslims and the Taliban in Afghanistan’.
The US are making an example of him.
Because Hasan himself was in the Army at Fort Hood he is being shot as a traitor to the country.
All of which is understandable but I still don’t think it should be shown publicly.

Fallingstar Fri 09-Oct-26 08:05:29

Are they seeking to emulate Iran which has public executions?
They are obviously lowering the bar in order to keep up with nations they would describe as barbaric.
I am struggling to even use the word obscene to describe this, there just isn’t a word strong enough.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 09-Oct-26 08:06:48

Why would the USA want to emulate the worst of the behaviours of countries that they have invaded?

Oreo Fri 09-Oct-26 08:10:16

It’s a military execution which tho unused for a long time can be used.
Hasan was a US army Major and a psychiatrist not a young mixed up soldier.
Killing 13 unarmed soldiers and wounding 32 relaxing at the base.

TerriBull Fri 09-Oct-26 08:15:46

OMG! This is only one step away from public executions, shocking! Especially coming on the back of the botched, inhumane lethal injection debacle, which again was utterly horrifying. Both so regressive, no place in a democratic western society, surely!

Vintagewhine Fri 09-Oct-26 08:17:19

Disgusting, Hegseth is an out of control madman, clearly he rotted his brain with alcohol in his days of excess drinking and womanising. IMO He's as dangerous as the fundamentalists he despises in Iran.