Gransnet forums

News & politics

Goodbye Dame Esther

(64 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 30-Sept-26 19:03:27

Dame Esther Rantzen has died.

Babamaman Thu 01-Oct-26 14:44:57

And silver line🙏💔

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 15:26:50

She was a force to be reckoned with, someone who got things done and improved the lives of many through her initiatives.

RIP Dame Esther

Susieq62 Thu 01-Oct-26 15:58:18

My memory of her was when she introduced the children Sir Nicholas Winton saved
My daughter volunteered for Childline and it set her on the path to her current social work role!
Esther was a force to be reckoned with and will be missed

Nanny27 Thu 01-Oct-26 17:42:40

A great woman who lived her life well. I have no interest in gossip.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 18:25:38

What is silver line? Is it for old uns?

OldFrill Thu 01-Oct-26 18:54:48

MT62

What is silver line? Is it for old uns?

It's a phone line run by Age UK to help combat loneliness in over 55s.

Frogoet Thu 01-Oct-26 19:17:58

Probably best to clothe it all in a shroud of mystery.
There is a lot underneath the surface that can’t be said today.
But it’s a mistake to chart the glories without much doubt

MawsRosie Thu 01-Oct-26 22:31:19

Can somebody please get GNHQ to change this title to ‘Goodbye Dame Esther’ ?
« Good by Dame Esther»:sounds like the title of a book.

MawsRosie Thu 01-Oct-26 22:33:13

Frogoet

Probably best to clothe it all in a shroud of mystery.
There is a lot underneath the surface that can’t be said today.
But it’s a mistake to chart the glories without much doubt

Exactly what this means I have no idea.
I dislike its «nudge, nudge, wink, wink» tone

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 22:42:25

Great idea, oldfrill. I hadn’t heard of it.

Ziplok Fri 02-Oct-26 11:19:44

This is a condolence thread, not a thread to discuss infidelity, alleged unpleasantness, etc. If posters want to discuss such matters then surely they need to start separate threads. I find bringing these things up here somewhat distasteful.

Tina1957 Sun 04-Oct-26 17:02:03

God bless you Esther,such amazing work with childline,rest in peace lovely lady.

WillowBreeze59 Mon 05-Oct-26 21:34:37

It is very sad that Dame Esther Rantzen has passed away. My sincere condolences to all her family.
She certainly came across as a lovely caring lady. I remember looking forward to watching 'That's Life' every week.
Greyfur16. Yes, I do happen to remember something about her connection with Saville years ago. How true it was though, I don't know.