Gransnet forums

House and home

Best idea to keep warm without central heating.

(71 Posts)
Allsorts Mon 28-Sept-26 22:28:10

Just wondered are there any people who don't have central heating? What are your tips to keep warm?

MG55 Mon 28-Sept-26 22:31:44

I have central heating but instead of heating the whole house, I have a heated blanket which I wrap around me on the settee 👍

Doodledog Mon 28-Sept-26 22:54:38

I also have CH, but second the heated blanket idea. Also electric underblankets on the bed, and pure wool cardigans/hats/blankets.

I know acrylic is cheap, but it is less than 50% as effective than wool. If you want warmth rather than style, never ever buy or use acrylic, and that goes for knitting for charity, too. Giving an acrylic hat or blanket to a rough sleeper won't help much. Better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as wool for keeping warm.

Other tips in a cold house - keep your feet up. Keep your head warm. Remember that heat rises, so don't have a bathroom window open when the heating is on if you are counting the pennies. Have a bath before bed.

Commonground Mon 28-Sept-26 22:56:33

I don't have central heating ( no gas in the village), three electric radiators downstairs which I use as little as possible, and electric panel heaters in the bedrooms upstairs which I've never used in the eight years I've lived here.
The house is pretty well insulated, and in the winter I leave the heated towel rail in the bathroom on medium all the time. If I feel cold I use the calor gas heaters in the living room and the kitchen diner for short periods.
So far this autumn I've used no heating at all.

M0nica Tue 29-Sept-26 08:32:45

Thick socks

MartavTaurus Tue 29-Sept-26 08:47:08

Last year posters suggested those snuggle blankets, they're very good.
This year I also have a new puppy who nestles into me!

shysal Tue 29-Sept-26 09:19:46

When not using the central heating I just have a hot water bottle on my lap. I have a blanket for when it is very cold. On the whole I am a hot body, so only sheet and a throw on the bed, even my 1 Tog duvet is too warm for me.

Fallingstar Tue 29-Sept-26 09:26:05

We have electric over blankets that are thick and fleecy and sit with one each when in the house. During the day because my DH needs exercise we go out but because it is slow going we both need plenty of layers and thick socks. We usually end up in a cafe where we have coffee and lunch, then back home with the snuggly blankets. Hot water bottles are also good and we have electric blankets on the beds. Because we have a small terraced house with thick walls it really doesn’t get that cold.

Basgetti Tue 29-Sept-26 09:29:33

MartavTaurus

Last year posters suggested those snuggle blankets, they're very good.
This year I also have a new puppy who nestles into me!

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours 😁

Casdon Tue 29-Sept-26 09:41:10

Keep moving would be my advice. If you’re doing something active you’re never as cold as you are when you’re just sitting. I agree with M0nica on the socks, too. If your feet are warm you feel warmer everywhere. I’ve got some sheepskin slippers too, which help.

Doodledog Tue 29-Sept-26 09:47:41

MartavTaurus

Last year posters suggested those snuggle blankets, they're very good.
This year I also have a new puppy who nestles into me!

Oh, a warm dog on your feet is the best heater🥰

pably15 Tue 29-Sept-26 09:55:08

I have a pair of slippers like boots,they come up over your ankles, and I agree if your feet are warm that helps a lot.also a lightweight fleece throw is a lot warmer than it looks.

MartavTaurus Tue 29-Sept-26 11:03:43

Basgetti

MartavTaurus

Last year posters suggested those snuggle blankets, they're very good.
This year I also have a new puppy who nestles into me!

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours 😁

Oh my goodness! Is that a fluffy golden retriever?

MartavTaurus Tue 29-Sept-26 11:11:30

Here's mine.

Oh, a warm dog on your feet is the best heater🥰
Oh yes, Doodledog, until the sharp needle teeth are exercised! 🦈

petra Tue 29-Sept-26 11:20:54

Buy blackout curtains to line your existing curtains.
Or, if you have a friend who’s handy with a sewing machine it’s cheap to buy by the meter.
Plus the fact that they keep out the heat.

J52 Tue 29-Sept-26 11:32:22

petra

Buy blackout curtains to line your existing curtains.
Or, if you have a friend who’s handy with a sewing machine it’s cheap to buy by the meter.
Plus the fact that they keep out the heat.

In the past I have just hooked the ready made to the unused openings on the header tape. Of course wouldn’t work with eyelet style curtains.

V3ra Tue 29-Sept-26 11:48:55

M0nica

Thick socks

Our son's lovely girlfriend asked us last week to choose a ball of wool from her stash, and give her our shoe sizes.
She's knitting us each a pair of socks for Christmas 😊

MawsRosie Tue 29-Sept-26 13:29:18

However tempting it is to hunker down under an electric throw or a cashmere jersey or the cat, unless mobility is a serious issue, it is better all round to keep moving.
By all means wear some extra layers but your heart and circulation (and weight) will thank you.

1summer Tue 29-Sept-26 13:48:46

For a couple of years I have been wearing when it gets very cold an Oodie (cheaper version from Dunelm) its very warm. And if in the evening I sit and watch TV I have a heated blanket.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Sept-26 13:50:46

Hands up 🙋‍♀️ I have no central heating it’s an old Victorian town house (1874) 5 bedrooms, three floors, and old original windows 🤣so I layer up and have lovely thick throws, hot water bottles and big old thick fur hoodies
I don’t often get colds and I m used to it so it’s fine by me

BlueBelle Tue 29-Sept-26 13:53:13

Here’s my favourite oodie

Rocketstop2 Tue 29-Sept-26 13:58:49

My Mum always used to say to wear a thin scarf in the house in winter, , it's surprising how warm it does make you .

Welshy Tue 29-Sept-26 14:00:17

I agree with others. Electric throws they cost pennies to use. Then an ordinary large fleece throw over my shoulders.

www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/cream-heated-electric-blanket

Free delivery and a 2 year warranty.

Welshy Tue 29-Sept-26 14:09:48

I also agree with Rocketstop2 about the scarf/snood. It's surprising how warm they keep you. Or maybe one of those scarves with a built in hood.

DaisyLa Tue 29-Sept-26 14:11:49

Get a heated waistcoat and make sure you get a spare battery then you can wear it all the time indoors and out. I wear mine while U am walking the digs and when I am watching television.