Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour win Starmer’s old seat

(8 Posts)
Cossy Fri 09-Oct-26 10:11:47

Congratulations to Sagal Adbi-Wali for winning this seat.

An extremely courageous woman with real compassion for her community and drive to improve things.

Came here as a child refugee.

www.parliament.uk/business/news/2026/october-2026/sagal-abdi-wali-elected-as-member-of-parliament-for-holborn-and-st-pancras/

Casdon Fri 09-Oct-26 10:28:52

The Burnham bounce continues.

The Greens did better than I expected, given their recent issues, it will be interesting to see if that is a single constituency success, or is carried through to the next by election.

I’m pleased to see that the Tories beat Reform too, it looks like the Tory revival/Reform slump is slowly gathering pace.

MG55 Fri 09-Oct-26 10:39:54

Cossy

Congratulations to Sagal Adbi-Wali for winning this seat.

An extremely courageous woman with real compassion for her community and drive to improve things.

Came here as a child refugee.

www.parliament.uk/business/news/2026/october-2026/sagal-abdi-wali-elected-as-member-of-parliament-for-holborn-and-st-pancras/

Well done 👏

Graphite Fri 09-Oct-26 10:48:34

Congratulations, Sagal.

The hard right did about the same as in 2024 when Reform won 2,371 votes but split this time between Reform 1612 and Restore 692 (total 2,304) which is more than the Tories managed on 1,922.

Presumably Andrew Feinstein’s votes from 2024 (7,312) went to the Greens.

Casdon Fri 09-Oct-26 10:50:54

The split on the right is what is making the difference I agree Graphite, but that is very significant in itself because it greatly reduces Reform’s chances of winning seats, so in electoral terms, it’s a slump.

Visgir1 Fri 09-Oct-26 11:16:00

So the turn out was 38.8% she got 45% of that... so over 60% couldn't be bothered to vote.

JenniRen Fri 09-Oct-26 11:22:07

Visgir1

So the turn out was 38.8% she got 45% of that... so over 60% couldn't be bothered to vote.

I'm surprised at that.

Thank goodness and a relief that Polanski didn't win.
The new MP sounds a very impressive woman.

MartavTaurus Fri 09-Oct-26 11:28:44

I'm ok with that. Good for her.
That Polanski guy is awful.