Gransnet forums

News & politics

Goodbye Dame Esther

(64 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 30-Sept-26 19:03:27

Dame Esther Rantzen has died.

MT62 Wed 30-Sept-26 21:45:18

greyfur16

She seemed like a good person...I dunno....was there some strange connection with Saville?

😳

Casdon Wed 30-Sept-26 21:48:34

RIP. I really hope she had a peaceful death after all her struggles.

Purplepixie Wed 30-Sept-26 22:03:49

RIP. She did so much and what a shame she suffered so much.

Cath9 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:24:11

A lady full of ideas.
At least now she will no longer suffer as what happened to my mother-in-law who also died with cancer.

Luckygirl3 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:32:43

Childline is her memorial. flowers

Bukkie Wed 30-Sept-26 23:11:24

I will always associate her with That's Life on a Sunday night. R.I.P Esther, I hope your passing was peaceful.

mokryna Wed 30-Sept-26 23:27:12

RIP Esther flowers

I remember her first starting out in Braden’s week before I changed counties. I do hope she had a peaceful death.

Chestnut Thu 01-Oct-26 00:08:19

Boomer1947

Are we to just gloss over the hurt and distress she and Desmond Wilcox caused to his first wife.? A real lady does not climb into bed with another woman's husband.

This is a condolences thread, and really, do you know enough about their private lives to cast the first stone? None of us can ever know the inside situation around a marriage break up. It may not be what it appears and is ultimately none of our business.

crazyH Thu 01-Oct-26 00:39:10

My marriage broke up. I am divorced.
The years have taught me a lot. I am no saint. Perhaps I had as much to do with the break-up, as his affair did. There is something called falling ‘out of love’ . It’s happened to me and my ex-husband and it probably happened to Esther.
Let’s applaud her for all the wonderful things she’s done.
R.I.P. Esther. flowers

Redhead56 Thu 01-Oct-26 00:59:43

Yes she certainly was a caring considerate and feisty woman to be admired R.I.P. xx

MayBee70 Thu 01-Oct-26 01:34:45

My main memory of her is of the publicity she gave to the Anthony Nolan charity.

Elrel Thu 01-Oct-26 01:40:13

I do hope that Esther did ‘go gently into that goodnight’ in the end. This is surely what we hope for our loved ones, and indeed ourselves. 🕊️

Oreo Thu 01-Oct-26 08:09:00

Luckygirl3

Childline is her memorial. flowers

And what a wonderful memorial it is.💐

Boomer1947 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:40:01

What is there to defend?

appletree21 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:47:14

She was a wonderful person who helped many people by creating Child Line and other support services. R.I.P Esther Rantzen ❤😥

Vito Thu 01-Oct-26 09:05:32

She was one hell of a woman. I hope her death was peaceful and pain free. 🙏

Basgetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:10:24

Boomer1947

Are we to just gloss over the hurt and distress she and Desmond Wilcox caused to his first wife.? A real lady does not climb into bed with another woman's husband.

I don’t know what the circumstances were, neither do you, so won’t leap to judgement.

Remarkable woman, smashed the glass ceiling, achieved incredible things for many, many people.

Bitterness is not appropriate on a condolence thread, Boomer1947.

Grandma600 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:46:28

I met her by chance many years ago at an outdoor event. My daughter, who was a toddler at the time, had a big helium balloon that she wasn't quite sure of, and tried to give it to another little girl of roughly the same age. That little girl was Esther Rantzen's daughter, Emily. It was a shock for me to see a famous face bearing down on me as I was crouching between the girls, but Esther was lovely!

Nannan2 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:47:12

Yes Mollygo we know,you're stating the obvious.Esther was a nice lady,and did a lot for others through her shows.RIP Esther.

Nannan2 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:49:25

I had never heard about any hoo ha over Desmond Wilkox,so i cant comment on that,but i realise theres 2 sides to every story.

Iam64 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:56:36

I heard their nanny for their first child Emily on a phone in this morning. She said she was aged twenty when she started, that two of Desmond Wilcox children from his first marriage lived with them. They were older teenagers close to her in age . She described a happy family, who included her in family life

Grantanow Thu 01-Oct-26 14:01:52

RIP Esther. Whatever your sins you did a great deal of good. A pity assisted dying was not achieved before your death but I am grateful you supported it.

Maries1964 Thu 01-Oct-26 14:07:06

It’s terrible off you to add negative comments at this time

Indiebee Thu 01-Oct-26 14:09:38

I am sad. I was in the same year as her at school. She was lovely, clever, warm hearted and funny. RIP.

Essexgirl145 Thu 01-Oct-26 14:24:46

I lost the whole of my family in 2016, for the first time in my life I was alone. I was terrified of becoming isolated and phoned the Silver Line. The person I spoke to asked me if I would like a telephone friend, a phone call once a week and I said yes. I gave my details but heard nothing. I tried several times but nothing happened so I sent a donation and I actualy had a call from Dame Esther to tell me I was'nt suitable. How suitable to you have to be when you have lost everything and you are looking for a life line. I was in my 70's at the time am now 81 and I've come through. She was not that nice, she knew about Jimmy Saville and did nothing. I've got nothing good to say about her.