Gransnet forums

News & politics

Goodbye Dame Esther

(64 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 30-Sept-26 19:03:27

Dame Esther Rantzen has died.

WillowBreeze59 Mon 05-Oct-26 21:34:37

It is very sad that Dame Esther Rantzen has passed away. My sincere condolences to all her family.
She certainly came across as a lovely caring lady. I remember looking forward to watching 'That's Life' every week.
Greyfur16. Yes, I do happen to remember something about her connection with Saville years ago. How true it was though, I don't know.

Tina1957 Sun 04-Oct-26 17:02:03

God bless you Esther,such amazing work with childline,rest in peace lovely lady.

Ziplok Fri 02-Oct-26 11:19:44

This is a condolence thread, not a thread to discuss infidelity, alleged unpleasantness, etc. If posters want to discuss such matters then surely they need to start separate threads. I find bringing these things up here somewhat distasteful.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 22:42:25

Great idea, oldfrill. I hadn’t heard of it.

MawsRosie Thu 01-Oct-26 22:33:13

Frogoet

Probably best to clothe it all in a shroud of mystery.
There is a lot underneath the surface that can’t be said today.
But it’s a mistake to chart the glories without much doubt

Exactly what this means I have no idea.
I dislike its «nudge, nudge, wink, wink» tone

MawsRosie Thu 01-Oct-26 22:31:19

Can somebody please get GNHQ to change this title to ‘Goodbye Dame Esther’ ?
« Good by Dame Esther»:sounds like the title of a book.

Frogoet Thu 01-Oct-26 19:17:58

Probably best to clothe it all in a shroud of mystery.
There is a lot underneath the surface that can’t be said today.
But it’s a mistake to chart the glories without much doubt

OldFrill Thu 01-Oct-26 18:54:48

MT62

What is silver line? Is it for old uns?

It's a phone line run by Age UK to help combat loneliness in over 55s.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 18:25:38

What is silver line? Is it for old uns?

Nanny27 Thu 01-Oct-26 17:42:40

A great woman who lived her life well. I have no interest in gossip.

Susieq62 Thu 01-Oct-26 15:58:18

My memory of her was when she introduced the children Sir Nicholas Winton saved
My daughter volunteered for Childline and it set her on the path to her current social work role!
Esther was a force to be reckoned with and will be missed

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 15:26:50

She was a force to be reckoned with, someone who got things done and improved the lives of many through her initiatives.

RIP Dame Esther

Babamaman Thu 01-Oct-26 14:44:57

And silver line🙏💔

Essexgirl145 Thu 01-Oct-26 14:24:46

I lost the whole of my family in 2016, for the first time in my life I was alone. I was terrified of becoming isolated and phoned the Silver Line. The person I spoke to asked me if I would like a telephone friend, a phone call once a week and I said yes. I gave my details but heard nothing. I tried several times but nothing happened so I sent a donation and I actualy had a call from Dame Esther to tell me I was'nt suitable. How suitable to you have to be when you have lost everything and you are looking for a life line. I was in my 70's at the time am now 81 and I've come through. She was not that nice, she knew about Jimmy Saville and did nothing. I've got nothing good to say about her.

Indiebee Thu 01-Oct-26 14:09:38

I am sad. I was in the same year as her at school. She was lovely, clever, warm hearted and funny. RIP.

Maries1964 Thu 01-Oct-26 14:07:06

It’s terrible off you to add negative comments at this time

Grantanow Thu 01-Oct-26 14:01:52

RIP Esther. Whatever your sins you did a great deal of good. A pity assisted dying was not achieved before your death but I am grateful you supported it.

Iam64 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:56:36

I heard their nanny for their first child Emily on a phone in this morning. She said she was aged twenty when she started, that two of Desmond Wilcox children from his first marriage lived with them. They were older teenagers close to her in age . She described a happy family, who included her in family life

Nannan2 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:49:25

I had never heard about any hoo ha over Desmond Wilkox,so i cant comment on that,but i realise theres 2 sides to every story.

Nannan2 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:47:12

Yes Mollygo we know,you're stating the obvious.Esther was a nice lady,and did a lot for others through her shows.RIP Esther.

Grandma600 Thu 01-Oct-26 13:46:28

I met her by chance many years ago at an outdoor event. My daughter, who was a toddler at the time, had a big helium balloon that she wasn't quite sure of, and tried to give it to another little girl of roughly the same age. That little girl was Esther Rantzen's daughter, Emily. It was a shock for me to see a famous face bearing down on me as I was crouching between the girls, but Esther was lovely!

Basgetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:10:24

Boomer1947

Are we to just gloss over the hurt and distress she and Desmond Wilcox caused to his first wife.? A real lady does not climb into bed with another woman's husband.

I don’t know what the circumstances were, neither do you, so won’t leap to judgement.

Remarkable woman, smashed the glass ceiling, achieved incredible things for many, many people.

Bitterness is not appropriate on a condolence thread, Boomer1947.

Vito Thu 01-Oct-26 09:05:32

She was one hell of a woman. I hope her death was peaceful and pain free. 🙏

appletree21 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:47:14

She was a wonderful person who helped many people by creating Child Line and other support services. R.I.P Esther Rantzen ❤😥

Boomer1947 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:40:01

What is there to defend?