Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another reason to not have a death penalty

(229 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 01-Oct-26 05:43:22

This is so awful… for a country to have a death penalty is bad enough but a botched death penalty is criminal in my opinion
www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cq8r6rjdvlx6o

Galaxy Thu 01-Oct-26 08:03:04

Her backstory is horrific as was the crime, I am opposed to the death sentence. However recent events have made me wonder, I am not sure how much more humane our system is where we seem to be outsourcing the death penalty to the hands of other prisoners, Huntley being one example.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:08:10

Galaxy

Her backstory is horrific as was the crime, I am opposed to the death sentence. However recent events have made me wonder, I am not sure how much more humane our system is where we seem to be outsourcing the death penalty to the hands of other prisoners, Huntley being one example.

That is another whole thread about the state of and running of our prisons. Yet another area in which we have lost control, along with so much else that should be in the public sector but isn’t.

nanna8 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:15:42

Some parts of the US still seem to have the old Wild West frontier mentality. Including ,at times, their leader. Quite concerning.

JenniferEccles Thu 01-Oct-26 08:30:14

Meanwhile here today hundreds of prisoners are being released early from prison including those convicted of domestic violence.
Their victims are understandably angry and fearful.

I am in two minds about the death penalty.

Oreo Thu 01-Oct-26 08:42:08

Tbh I find I am against the death penalty in theory, but in practice if my lovely DD had been tortured and beaten to death by someone I would be for it.

Sago Thu 01-Oct-26 09:01:19

I don’t know where I stand either, I always wonder what kind of person feels able to administer the lethal injection.

It makes me wonder if all the injections at Dignitas are immediately successful or do some patients suffer?

TerriBull Thu 01-Oct-26 09:07:18

I think Japan would be regarded as civilised part of the G7.

However, I agree with GG, inspite of the heinous crime, I still can't come to terms with state sanctioned killing, cold blooded by its very nature. "Thou shall not kill" resounds in every circumstace other than war or self defence situations.

TerriBull Thu 01-Oct-26 09:10:32

Reading about all the beautiful young people put to death in Iran for just expressing their opposition to a regime, heartbreaking!

Basgetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:11:36

FriedGreenTomatoes2

Albert Pierrepoint was a master at the long drop. Efficient and effective.

You’re suggesting we hang people? Chilling.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:17:41

Oreo

This does happen occasionally and in my view the most humane thing to do now is to administer a lethal dose of morphine.

I agree.
I am all for the death penalty, if it’s for killers of children & the elderly, depending on the nature of the murders, & 100 % that the murder was committed by that person.
Fred west, Harold Shipman gave themselves their own death penalty.

.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:19:14

TerriBull

Reading about all the beautiful young people put to death in Iran for just expressing their opposition to a regime, heartbreaking!

Totally different. Just wrong on all levels.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:25:47

Sago

I don’t know where I stand either, I always wonder what kind of person feels able to administer the lethal injection.

It makes me wonder if all the injections at Dignitas are immediately successful or do some patients suffer?

If it was my child, grandchild that was murdered, & raped, I would be first in the queue to plunge that needle in. If it was for someone like Ted Bundy, Ian Huntley yes for sure.
No question.

rafichagran Thu 01-Oct-26 09:44:06

I am 50/50 myself. I have followed the Christa Pike case. This lady is the same age as my daughter and she had a terrible life, failed by the system time and time again. However she had no learning difficulties and knew right from wrong.
This woman was kept on death row for 30 years it was clear she done the crime. That seems cruel as well. Christa's Mother said the execution should go ahead she has lived with the terrible way Colleen lost her life for years. Do we consider the affect on her loved ones, because some say it brings them closure.

Smileless2012 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:50:00

The 'lethal dose' at Dignitas has to be taken by the patient Sago.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:58:39

I can understand those whose say if it was one of their loved ones killed they would want the death penalty.

But honestly if it was rested on my final decision, I’m not sure what it would achieve. I would have to live with the knowledge that I (albeit indirectly) took a life and nothing has brought my child back.

I don’t think it helps one’s mental health remotely to know that the killer was put to death, because it doesn’t bring closure only revenge.

Peacelilydilly Thu 01-Oct-26 10:02:24

The bible says an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-26 10:08:22

Peacelilydilly

The bible says an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth

Blimey - I’d thought that we had advanced beyond such silliness.

Luckygirl3 Thu 01-Oct-26 10:11:16

However she had no learning difficulties and knew right from wrong. You do not have to have learning difficulties to have PTSD and a mental illness.

The bible says an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth The old testament is about as subtle as a brick frankly and thank heavens Christianity has moved on from this now.

Peacelilydilly Thu 01-Oct-26 10:12:47

And looks where its got us, I'm not religious by the way just thought I'd throw it in to the discussion. If you think.a bible quote is silly what do you think about other religions are they silly as well.

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 10:29:17

This is just barbaric.

The fact that a person could be kept on Death Row for all those years is bad enough but this botched attempt at state sanctioned killing is horrific.

What this woman did was horrific too and she should probably never have been let out of prison but her life as a child was equally as bad. Does someone who was so abused as a tiny child and teenager know right from wrong? She clearly needed help which she did not receive with such dreadful consequences.

B9exchange Thu 01-Oct-26 10:35:33

Religions are not silly and an immense comfort when truly followed. The problem is when people choose to misinterpret them for their own ends. For Christians the New Testament supercedes the Old which predicted the coming of events in the New Testament. When asked how many times we had to forgive, Jesus's answer was 'not 7 times but 70 times 7'.

rafichagran Thu 01-Oct-26 10:37:28

"Does someone who was so abused as a tiny child and teenager know right from wrong?

Yes I believe they do unless there is a learning disability. Alot of people have suffered sexual abuse and it is harrowing and life changing but they don't go on to kill the way Christa Pike did.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 10:37:33

Whitewavemark2

I can understand those whose say if it was one of their loved ones killed they would want the death penalty.

But honestly if it was rested on my final decision, I’m not sure what it would achieve. I would have to live with the knowledge that I (albeit indirectly) took a life and nothing has brought my child back.

I don’t think it helps one’s mental health remotely to know that the killer was put to death, because it doesn’t bring closure only revenge.

It depends on how that child was killed?
If it was a drunk driver- maybe a little over the limit, then no.
If it was someone who broke in, tortured, then killed, then yes absolutely I could.

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 10:38:21

rafichagran

"Does someone who was so abused as a tiny child and teenager know right from wrong?

Yes I believe they do unless there is a learning disability. Alot of people have suffered sexual abuse and it is harrowing and life changing but they don't go on to kill the way Christa Pike did.

I have never heard of her

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 10:39:09

rafichagran

"Does someone who was so abused as a tiny child and teenager know right from wrong?

Yes I believe they do unless there is a learning disability. Alot of people have suffered sexual abuse and it is harrowing and life changing but they don't go on to kill the way Christa Pike did.

It is known that often the abused can go on to become abusers unless they receive help and the cycle is broken, unfortunately.