Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another reason to not have a death penalty

(229 Posts)
BlueBelle Thu 01-Oct-26 05:43:22

This is so awful… for a country to have a death penalty is bad enough but a botched death penalty is criminal in my opinion
www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cq8r6rjdvlx6o

Mollygo Thu 08-Oct-26 08:24:18

Smileless2012

I would think the sentence will be commuted to life without parole as I can't see anyone supporting any further attempt to execute her.

I certainly hope so.
There was some mention of whether she could regain competence? enough for execution to take place again.
If I was the parent of the murdered teen, I don’t know how I’d feel though.

JenniRen Thu 08-Oct-26 10:41:46

Allsorts

Its truly horrifying. Pike was abused all her life, did a dreadful thing. But the cruelty of her treatment by that State is sickening. No words can describe their system. It’s like a torture chamber, legalised with people viewing a spectacle. Sick.

What she and Shipp did was horrific but what the State is doing to Pike is horrific too.

It makes them all no better than criminals themselves.

Dickens Thu 08-Oct-26 12:56:16

Mollygo

Smileless2012

I would think the sentence will be commuted to life without parole as I can't see anyone supporting any further attempt to execute her.

I certainly hope so.
There was some mention of whether she could regain competence? enough for execution to take place again.
If I was the parent of the murdered teen, I don’t know how I’d feel though.

There was some mention of whether she could regain competence? enough for execution to take place again.

The ongoing debate will centre around the interpretation of the 8th Amendment, apparently.

She may yet be executed, but it won't be by IV or even IM, so God only knows what will be pulled out of the hat. The 'drug' could be given via a Central Line - but that requires expertise and, understandably, the experts in the medical profession won't get involved.

Allegedly, she was co-operative with the staff - even tried to help them find a 'suitable' vein at the beginning... which just adds more horror to the whole thing...

If I was the parent of the murdered teen, I don’t know how I’d feel though.

Me neither. None of this is giving them any peace of mind, I'm sure. Must be pretty horrible for the family.