Gransnet forums

Chat

Eating in bed

(95 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:41:35

Do you?
A full English breakfast, or the odd slice of toast?

I've just has toast, and made lots of crumbs, which no doubt I'll regret tonight, but it just set me wondering if I'm a horrible woman for not getting up to eat.

crazyH Sat 22-Aug-26 10:47:24

I stay in bed till about 9.30 -10 am. . So, by the time I come down after my morning ritual , it’s about 11 am. I then have my morning coffee and soon after, I’ll have my brunch

crazyH Sat 22-Aug-26 10:49:04

Sorry, that didn’t answer your question - no I don’t have breakfast in bed.

Marydoll Sat 22-Aug-26 10:56:05

DH brings me a cuppa and a biscuit, so that I can take the first of my medications.
Otherwise, I find it too uncomfortable, eating in bed. My back protests.

However, I do not leave crumbs.wink

labazs Sat 22-Aug-26 11:05:11

when i wake up i tend to get up but at night when i am reading or scrolling i get myself a snack like a sandwich. one of the awful habits you get when you live alone. the bungalow is small so i can see the kitchen from my bed so that does not help!

Shel1951 Sat 22-Aug-26 11:06:35

My husband is disabled so I have to be up when the carers call to get him up, I get his breakfast and tablets together,then when they have gone and he has eaten I take him to the toilet,

Cossy Sat 22-Aug-26 11:12:58

Cuppa in bed every morning courtesy of DH after he’s walked Poppy.

Odd slice of toast and if I’m having a fibro crash, sometimes early night a light supper.

I don’t mind eating in bed, but really prefer not too.

I do have one of those good wooden trays with the legs.

BoggledMind Sat 22-Aug-26 11:35:11

I've never seen the appeal of breakfast in bed but appreciate it is enjoyable for some. I have had the occasional toast or bowl of cereal in bed due to circumstances at the time but didn't enjoy it. I do sometimes make a brew and take that back to bed (like this morning).

Desdemona Sat 22-Aug-26 12:36:10

Occasionally I have a biscuit and drink.

What I will NOT do again is eat chocolate in bed. A weeks back on one of the hottest evenings of the heatwave I fancied a few squares of chocolate while I read my book. Some crumbs must have fallen on and got on the bottom sheet. It looked pretty disgusting in the morning!

SueDonim Sat 22-Aug-26 12:41:19

Not for me. I prefer to get up and dressed before I eat. Or maybe I can’t eat until I’m up and dressed! I don’t even want a cup of anything in bed before rising. I’ve had meals in bed when I’ve been ill but it’s stressful trying to keep the bedding clean. grin

I don’t judge, though - if it gets your day off to a good start, go for it! ☕️ 🥣 🥯

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 22-Aug-26 13:01:49

Only if I'm ill. Younger son bought one of those wonderful wooden trays with collapsible legs for my 60th. He remembered that I'd admired one when watching television.

Grandmabatty Sat 22-Aug-26 13:25:01

It's just me, so getting up to make a cuppa and take it back to bed doesn't work for me. Once I'm up, I have a cuppa. I never eat in bed. I don't like it' never have

Dottydots Sat 22-Aug-26 13:40:08

Nothing to eat or drink in bed for me. I prefer to be dressed and sitting at the table to eat my breakfast and read the paper.

Happygirl79 Sat 22-Aug-26 13:40:12

I enjoy a cup of coffee in bed when I wake up and read the newspapers online while I drink it but then I get up to start my day with a pre breakfast walk

Greyduster Sat 22-Aug-26 13:40:20

A large cup of coffee and two digestive biscuits - each of which has to be broken in half - eaten in bed, is my morning ritual from which I never deviate wherever I find myself. An actual breakfast in bed would be a recipe for disaster for me - I can barely sit at the table these days without making a mess!

pably15 Sat 22-Aug-26 13:53:12

I've never liked eating in bed, I like to get up, have a cuppa and toast.I don't even like going about in my dressing gown...reminds me of being in hospital.so I like to get up washed and dressed...and start my day..

Oreo Sat 22-Aug-26 14:34:48

Only ever done when ill, I like to be up and about otherwise.

Tenko Sat 22-Aug-26 14:50:13

I’m doing the 16/8 at the moment and don’t eat until lunch . Either DH or myself put the dog in the garden first thing . Make a cuppa and bring it upstairs and we’ll have tea and watch the news for bit before getting up.
Our dog is allowed on our bed , so if I had breakfast in bed , I’d have a soppy Labrador eyeballing me .
A friend hates tea in bed and doesn’t have a cuppa until she’s up , showered and dressed .

watermeadow Sat 22-Aug-26 15:03:10

As soon as I wake up, if it’s later than 5, I get up. I’ve never ever gone downstairs then gone back up with food.
I always eat at the table as otherwise I would drop food on my clothes and the dog would gaze into my eyes and watch every mouthful.

Franbern Sat 22-Aug-26 15:03:29

My Lovely Dad, who always got up very early, even after he retired ALWAYS took my Mum a Cup of tea in bed, and before i got married and lived at home, also for me. Loved it.

When we were first married, hubbie was taking exams, and most nights we would retire to bed with cheese and biccies, whilst I tested him on different business legal cases.

We were so young, in our early twenties, were able to easily digest this even late at night.

Patsy70 Sat 22-Aug-26 15:21:18

No, dread the thought of it.
However, when OH and I first got together we used to have tea and dark chocolate digestives on a Sunday morning, with the papers.

Pigma Sat 22-Aug-26 15:28:30

Not now but when my grandsons were little and came to stay, they loved coming to wake us up in the morning and would climb into my bed to play and sing songs. DH would go down and make toast and we would have toast and jam ‘picnics’ in bed on their last morning. Lovely happy memories.
Had to change the bed after they’d gone home though, which is why we limited the bed picnics to their last morning!
They’re all grown up now but still remember their toast and jam picnics.

Susiewong65 Sat 22-Aug-26 15:33:13

I quite like a cup of tea and a crumpet, no crumbs with those.

HowVeryDareYou2 Sat 22-Aug-26 15:34:02

I don't ever eat or drink anything in bed. I like to be downstairs first for a while.

Bellasnana Sat 22-Aug-26 15:34:30

No, never. Just a cup of tea before I get going. I don’t eat anything before lunchtime.

62Granny Sat 22-Aug-26 15:37:10

No from me too , I do have a cup of coffee first thing very occasionally a biscuit, but I could never eat a meal in bed, I can never get comfortable enough sitting up tbh.