Gransnet forums

Chat

Eating in bed

(95 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:41:35

Do you?
A full English breakfast, or the odd slice of toast?

I've just has toast, and made lots of crumbs, which no doubt I'll regret tonight, but it just set me wondering if I'm a horrible woman for not getting up to eat.

TwiceAsNice Sat 22-Aug-26 16:27:33

Have a cup of tea in bed every morning . Don’t generally eat in bed except the occasional biscuit or piece of toast

Gwyllt Sat 22-Aug-26 16:44:21

If I ate breakfast I would probably enjoy it in bed.
Would have no trouble with the crumbs as the dog would likely clear up

Labradora Sat 22-Aug-26 17:02:18

Very rarely but not never.
Always Tea and Coffee.
Cereal very occasionally.
Never toast.
I'm a Crumb Monster.

grandMattie Sat 22-Aug-26 17:04:25

My husband forbade me to eat biscuits in bed. Crumbs. He wasn’t that keen on me drinking in bed either, which was why I used to get up at ungodly hours…
Now widowed, I can do exactly what I want!

Carenza123 Sat 22-Aug-26 20:09:04

I never had food or drink when I was a child in bed. The only exception was if I was ill in bed and I was allowed Lucozade.

Casdon Sat 22-Aug-26 20:14:04

No eating in bed, but the first coffee of the day in bed is heaven.

Mollygo Sat 22-Aug-26 21:09:35

Carenza123

I never had food or drink when I was a child in bed. The only exception was if I was ill in bed and I was allowed Lucozade.

Same here Carenza123.
We knew we were really ill if we were made or allowed to stay in bed and got Lucozade.

I get a cup of tea in bed if I’m still there after DH gets up, but I’m usually out with the dog before that, so he keeps it downstairs.

PaperMonster2 Sat 22-Aug-26 21:42:27

I only eat breakfast at weekends when I have an almond croissant in bed. I have a coffee in bed every morning.

PaperMonster2 Sat 22-Aug-26 21:42:54

I bring my daughter breakfast in bed most days!

Silvergirl Sat 22-Aug-26 21:58:00

My hubby brings me tea and toast every morning in bed. I use a tray so there is no problem with crumbs.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-26 01:46:10

Im off to climb into my little crumby bed in a minute, and I'm not looking forward to it one bit.
smile
Nobody to blame except myself.
Perhaps my food in bed days are drawing to an end.

cornergran Sun 23-Aug-26 06:34:30

Always tea in bed sometimes followed by more tea and cereal or a croissant. A unfolded tea towel under the bowl or plate deals with crumbs or escaping cereal.

GrannyIvy Sun 23-Aug-26 06:53:32

No never just an occasional coffee in bed in the morning. I’m not really a breakfast person just eat a banana on the run

RosesandLilac Sun 23-Aug-26 07:09:39

Greyduster

A large cup of coffee and two digestive biscuits - each of which has to be broken in half - eaten in bed, is my morning ritual from which I never deviate wherever I find myself. An actual breakfast in bed would be a recipe for disaster for me - I can barely sit at the table these days without making a mess!

Snap!
That’s what I have too Greyduster 😊
I’ve never eaten breakfast in bed, mainly because I’d have to go and make it myself and carry it back upstairs which seems a tad pointless to me!

Missiseff Mon 24-Aug-26 13:45:21

Never, unless I'm ill

Jojo1950 Mon 24-Aug-26 14:05:26

I do as unwell! Always first cuppa in bed though . Then used to up and about when younger! But do what feels right for you !💐

Margs Mon 24-Aug-26 14:09:42

Tea, crumby toast, marmalade, soft boiled egg........perfect recipe for another fine mess!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

TillyWhiz Mon 24-Aug-26 14:12:47

Oh yes. Every day. On my own with no stairs, cup of herbal tea and a biscuits, then up to feed the birds, then back to bed with a bowl of cereal, fruit and oatmilk.
Read the news online, sort out my social media and a game of two then I'm ready for the day.

knspol Mon 24-Aug-26 14:17:42

I do occasionally get up and make myself tea and toast to take back to bed and really enjoy it, no problem at all with crumbs. Trouble is really don't want to get up after this!

Vintagegirl Mon 24-Aug-26 14:18:04

oh one of my life's pleasures! Best place to be when your bed is only warm place in the house. Yes just tea n toast and so what about the crumbs? quick wipe over of sheet maybe with a special defluff thingie.

win Mon 24-Aug-26 14:19:16

I love eating in bed whilst I catch up on the iPad, never toast though but a sandwich and fruit is always enjoyable. Particularly last thing at night when I am all ready and just have to do one last teeth brushing before switching off. Perfect.

nanna8 Mon 24-Aug-26 14:22:03

No from me. Can’t stand it in hospital, either. I don’t mind eating sat on a lounge chair with my feet up but not in bed.

Chaitriona Mon 24-Aug-26 14:30:54

I have eaten all my meals in bed for years and like it. I do use a napkin. I am chronically ill and it is too tiring and painful to sit on a hard chair at a table. I used to when guests came but it was a great effort. I like to eat and read at the same time. Since my husband has died I have started to eat in the dining room lying on a couch watching TV. That is also a pleasure and distracts me from all the tasks I have to deal with now and from my grief.

Renata1079 Mon 24-Aug-26 16:18:06

I never normally eat in bed, but last Saturday evening, I sat up in bed watching T.V., and ate a bowl of raspberries (with my fingers, not a spoon) that I needed to use up from the fridge before they went off.

They were very ripe and juicy, and there are now splashes of dark red on my cream-coloured top sheet, and also the fitted sheet, that looks like blood! I'm cross with myself, and am now going to have to soak the sheets in some biological detergent.

Crumbs from things like cake or biscuits must be annoying - but at least they can be brushed off!!

Witzend Mon 24-Aug-26 16:26:37

I never have breakfast in bed, but since I don’t sleep well I’m often up at 2 or 3 am, foraging in the kitchen for anything from a nectarine and a satsuma, to a bowl of Grape-Nuts, to some bread and butter - most of which I take back to bed with me, plus a cup of tea. Usually at night it’s a Pukka 3 Ginger.