Gransnet forums

Chat

The time is now

(13 Posts)
Grammajules Sat 10-Oct-26 11:49:07

I was sorting out my ‘spare room’ where I have appeared to have horded things I have bought and thought ‘I’ll keep that for a special occasion, too good to wear around the house or will make a nice gift’…
Have found:-
Socks, underwear, books, slippers, body lotions, candles, jumpers.
I wonder when I think it will ever be the right time to use all these things and it must be a generational thing, but I think at 70 it’s to change my mindset.

Maremia Sat 10-Oct-26 11:50:33

Definitely, you are worth it, to use your 'best' things now.

Oreo Sat 10-Oct-26 11:53:25

Definitely use these kept for best things.Very sad but when my NN died we found so many nice things put away as too good to use, and she had so very little anyway.😢

eddiecat78 Sat 10-Oct-26 12:19:03

I'm thinking you could have a very cheap Christmas this year

Wyllow3 Sat 10-Oct-26 12:30:41

Yes, choose a few for that then take the rest down to a posh charity shop that sells at a decent price - our local hospice has super shops.

Wyllow3 Sat 10-Oct-26 12:31:30

I like the idea of someone else coming along and treasuring these things you see, it's not all about monetary value.

Cossy Sat 10-Oct-26 12:35:29

eddiecat78

I'm thinking you could have a very cheap Christmas this year

Haha

Cossy Sat 10-Oct-26 12:36:37

Wyllow3

I like the idea of someone else coming along and treasuring these things you see, it's not all about monetary value.

I subscribe to this and since selling our lodge have a houseful of “stuff” we are going through (for “we” read me!), I’m hoping many will treasure and use what we will donating x

nanna8 Sat 10-Oct-26 12:43:14

I found a lovely grey t shirt with a blue dragonfly on it when I was doing a chuck out. Been wearing it ever since. My reward for sending loads of decent stuff to the op shop?? Definitely worth the stress of sorting.

Jaxjacky Sat 10-Oct-26 13:04:57

Never too late to change Grammajules use what you enjoy now, give the rest away, near us there are a few Christmas raffles, tombola etc with people asking for prizes.

Georgesgran Sat 10-Oct-26 13:09:46

There’s a similar thread running ‘Wedding Present Dinner Service’ and the consensus on keeping things for best/special is use them, or donate them. Most of our children won’t want them!

I do have a special handbag and she’ll be out and about during the Winter months.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 10-Oct-26 13:12:35

Can I ask, did you find one of my phone handsets, part of the handheld vacuum cleaner or the Shark vacuum charger in there?

Oldnproud Sat 10-Oct-26 13:54:47

Usedtobeblonde

Can I ask, did you find one of my phone handsets, part of the handheld vacuum cleaner or the Shark vacuum charger in there?

Hmm, I am wondering if I have somehow acquired some of your vac parts - the number of 'orphan' handheld vacuum attachments that i keep finding in my house keeps inexplicably growing!
Meanwhile, I spend more and more time searching for the attachments to my current vac when i need those! 🤔 😁