Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Anyone else getting more scam messages lately?

(18 Posts)
Patrica1010 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:20:28

Seems to be a lot of scam messages about at the moment. I've had a fake Evri text asking for a redelivery fee, and a parking fine one with a link to pay. And Cillafan had the TV licence email earlier.

I've also heard of people getting calls from "the bank" asking them to move money to a safe account. Banks never ask that.

I tend to just ignore anything rushing me to pay and ring the company myself if I'm unsure.

Anyone else had any recently?

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Oct-26 15:34:07

Nope, not online or on my mobile.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:38:35

Nothing. But I always report, block and delete any calls and emails I get I suspect are scams.

Sago Wed 07-Oct-26 16:32:48

We have a lot at the moment, we think it’s the Manchester Airport Group data breach.

Mollygo Wed 07-Oct-26 17:30:58

Not definitely scams, but the number of add me messages has multiplied.

Visgir1 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:40:06

No not really ... The odd one but I block it.

Jojo1950 Sat 10-Oct-26 13:43:05

Yes loads. Block!

Meme60 Sat 10-Oct-26 13:44:20

I have had emails demanding I pay my tv licence. We have a monthly direct debit although I did check as it was at the same time period when we moved into our house two years ago

Bobba Sat 10-Oct-26 13:46:03

We’re getting lots of calls offering to reclaim money for missold loans, which we never had! I seem to be getting more scam calls than usual.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 10-Oct-26 13:51:31

Two a day currently from “my bank” about requests for payment, one is always from Amazon and the other can vary from “ overseas” to “Zoom”
They mostly come from a mobile number to my house phone.

Lizzies Sat 10-Oct-26 13:55:04

Mollygo

Not definitely scams, but the number of add me messages has multiplied.

I saw something about this in the Mail. It said that if you did add the number to WhatsApp then you got the offer of part time work. Probably the sort where you have to pay a registration fee and then hear nothing else about it.

Sueinkent Sat 10-Oct-26 14:00:11

I got the evri one which I ignored. Get a lot of unknown mobile numbers which I also ignore.

ooonana Sat 10-Oct-26 14:04:35

Yes, unrecognisable numbers, don't leave messages...

Redactrice Sat 10-Oct-26 14:07:33

I had a spate of annoying recorded messages and other scam calls recently (e.g. asking me how my missold car finance claim was going, when I've only ever bought cars outright, or telling me my Windows was causing problems, when I've only ever used a Mac). My phone numbers must have been on yet another list sold to scammers. I blame the ridiculous rule that means you have to physically accept cookies, and now even non-essential ones, before you can even browse a website. The alternative is to tailor which cookies you accept, and/or read through pages of unintelligible terms and conditions, which no one ever does, surely?

jmo Sat 10-Oct-26 14:18:57

Had loads. Fortunately it goes straight in my junk mail for deletion. I believe that some charitable organisations which I subscribe to were hacked and I subsequently received about 100 daily.

knspol Sat 10-Oct-26 14:21:03

Had literally dozens lately, my 'best' was 13 in one go. All sorts of messages, several languages. Been happening for last 3/4 weeks now seems to have settled down to .2/3 per day and mostly all about TV licence, spelt the US way, I report and block each one so presumably they are coming from different email addresses.

JakeysGranny Sat 10-Oct-26 14:23:09

I’m getting loads of spam emails at the moment (I think to due to a data leak from airport parking company 🙄). Also loads of filtered calls have blocked the “add me on WhatsApp” messages. It’s a full time job blocking and reporting as spam at the moment!

AuntClarasDoorknobs Sat 10-Oct-26 14:24:48

We have had an increase the last month or so. A lot going on here too, so we both try to keep on the ball. Particularly those ‘we have a delivery’, and ‘this is your bank’ ones. Immune constantly watching DH, as he’s not as sharp as I think I am!