Gransnet forums

Chat

Eating in bed

(95 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 22-Aug-26 09:41:35

Do you?
A full English breakfast, or the odd slice of toast?

I've just has toast, and made lots of crumbs, which no doubt I'll regret tonight, but it just set me wondering if I'm a horrible woman for not getting up to eat.

Boadicea Tue 25-Aug-26 15:17:56

Vintagegirl

oh one of my life's pleasures! Best place to be when your bed is only warm place in the house. Yes just tea n toast and so what about the crumbs? quick wipe over of sheet maybe with a special defluff thingie.

Absolutely! Especially when we didn't have central heating!
We tend to start the day with a proper pot of loose leaf Yorkshire tea and toast (Marmite for him, marmalade and a satsuma for me) and a game of Boggle to get the brain into gear before getting on with the day.
Then cereal as a mid morning snack.
It's the only time I can eat in peace too, as normally as soon as I sit down ANYWHERE the more needy of our two cats just sees a lap and wants fussing. (they're not allowed in the bedroom)
I make very few crumbs but OH tends to slump over and drop crumbs on my side of the bed as well as all over himself and rarely thinks to brush them off (with the "defluff thingy" - one of those red velvet type brushes?) when he gets up.
HAS to be done though, I'm like the Princess and the Pea!
He might have had a cooked breakfast in bed his morning as it's his birthday but sadly we had to be up early to drain and remove the radiator before the guys came to do the damp proofing in the front room.

Anrol Tue 25-Aug-26 13:21:08

Every day. OH brings up tea and on the tray is our cereal, mine kefir soaked porridge and blue berries, his cereal with blueberries & milk in a covered jug ready to be poured. When we are ready to eat, we get out of bed, collect our breakfasts and pop back into bed, napkin under bowl. We also have a single cup water boiler in the spare room with water jug & teabags ready to make the second cuppa before we get up. A perfect start to our day.

arum Tue 25-Aug-26 07:46:13

As a South African, coffee or tea with a few homebaked buttermilk rusks is the usual start to the day. Crumbs? No problem. A quick up and down with the vacuum cleaner keeps the sheet crumb free, and, who knows, keeps the mites in check grin

mokryna Mon 24-Aug-26 23:31:12

Looks lovely in old films, pillows all plumped up with tray on legs but I can’t sit up straight with more back support. It is more tiresome, so I prefer to sit at a table on a chair, unless I am ill.

Greennana Mon 24-Aug-26 23:22:51

V3ra

We had two grandchildren staying here last week.
At 7am our bedroom door opened and breakfast arrived.

A proper cushioned laptray with a cloth, china bowl with greek yogurt, strawberries and crumbled flapjack, and glass of orange juice for me, carried in carefully by 9 year old granddaughter.

A plastic bowl with red grapes and red peppers for my husband, proudly plonked on the bedside table by 5 year old grandson.

Happy days 🥰😂

How lovely
I made breakfast in bed for myself and my two granddaughters yesterday morning. It was lovely. I love spoiling them

grannybuy Mon 24-Aug-26 22:26:27

No. I prefer my cup and plate on a flat, firm surface. Every morning I have my breakfast at the kitchen table, and do Wordle, Connections and Spelling Bee on my iPad at the same time.

dragonfly46 Mon 24-Aug-26 21:46:37

Just a large cup of Green tea for me but never food!

WithNobsOnIt Mon 24-Aug-26 21:34:29

If I didn't have an orthopaedic mattress which won't keep still.

I would live in bed and have all meals there. Hospital Style. Watching a huge TV hanging on the wall.

Just enjoy it. And if they still make them. Buy yourself one those
hand held hoovers to clean up as you go along.

Happy Days
🛏️🦪☕👍

GoldenAge Mon 24-Aug-26 20:11:46

Definitely never ...

Robin202 Mon 24-Aug-26 19:29:47

Yes my husband often brings me breakfast in bed on a tray and recently when recovering from a hip replacement, I had all my lovely meals in bed. It was much appreciated 😊

Rocketstop2 Mon 24-Aug-26 19:09:39

I like to eat choc in bed, unfortunately if you drop some in the dark and then lay on it, it can give you quite a shock in the morning wondering what's happened grin

DeeAitch56 Mon 24-Aug-26 18:44:15

Just crisps and chocolate whilst I’m reading my kindle before I go to sleep

Ali61 Mon 24-Aug-26 18:32:27

Oops posted too soon!

I go to bed really early to watch TV and usually take my dessert with me - sometimes it's a bowl of cereal, sometimes banana or strawberries and cream but never find it messy. Dinner is more of a challenge! And I do like to eat some meals with my other half 😊

Ali61 Mon 24-Aug-26 18:26:20

I had a jam sandwich in bed last night - delicious 😋. No crumbs or mess as I always use a plate! I tend to go to bed really early

polly123 Mon 24-Aug-26 17:52:55

A bowl of cereal is manageable.

AmberGran Mon 24-Aug-26 17:28:29

Only tea or coffee occasionally. DH won't even have that, he likes to be up and about.

Mojack26 Mon 24-Aug-26 17:09:37

I've never eaten in my bed! Just does not appeal to me. Up to you what you do in yourown hoyse.

Shel1951 Mon 24-Aug-26 17:03:11

This was an answer too miss adventure,
Tbh everything runs like clockwork and I do get a break from the house, I daily take myself off to a cafe for coffee before dealing with the rest of the day, and my dh goes to the day centre 3 times a week giving me time to meet friends, just in case I come across as needy I'm happy with my lot, just because I allocate time for myself in all of it , at the moment I'm away and carers are popping in regular for dh plus a daughter and son, I do have an grandson that im a carer for and he's with me, so life's grand, still nice to have breakfast in bed ,,,,but we can't have it all

LonnBestemor Mon 24-Aug-26 16:56:12

Pigma

Not now but when my grandsons were little and came to stay, they loved coming to wake us up in the morning and would climb into my bed to play and sing songs. DH would go down and make toast and we would have toast and jam ‘picnics’ in bed on their last morning. Lovely happy memories.
Had to change the bed after they’d gone home though, which is why we limited the bed picnics to their last morning!
They’re all grown up now but still remember their toast and jam picnics.

This is the sweetest comment…I also have had the little ones come to my room to play and sing in the morning and I would say they are my three little birdies ( like the Bob Marley song, Don’t Worry About a thing...) These are such happy memories and what loving grandparents you sound. Btw, DH brings me tea in bed unless there is a crisis in the news (so frequent now, we live in Canada next door to a madman) and we will have rounds of toast and tea to brace us up.

Witzend Mon 24-Aug-26 16:26:37

I never have breakfast in bed, but since I don’t sleep well I’m often up at 2 or 3 am, foraging in the kitchen for anything from a nectarine and a satsuma, to a bowl of Grape-Nuts, to some bread and butter - most of which I take back to bed with me, plus a cup of tea. Usually at night it’s a Pukka 3 Ginger.

Renata1079 Mon 24-Aug-26 16:18:06

I never normally eat in bed, but last Saturday evening, I sat up in bed watching T.V., and ate a bowl of raspberries (with my fingers, not a spoon) that I needed to use up from the fridge before they went off.

They were very ripe and juicy, and there are now splashes of dark red on my cream-coloured top sheet, and also the fitted sheet, that looks like blood! I'm cross with myself, and am now going to have to soak the sheets in some biological detergent.

Crumbs from things like cake or biscuits must be annoying - but at least they can be brushed off!!

Chaitriona Mon 24-Aug-26 14:30:54

I have eaten all my meals in bed for years and like it. I do use a napkin. I am chronically ill and it is too tiring and painful to sit on a hard chair at a table. I used to when guests came but it was a great effort. I like to eat and read at the same time. Since my husband has died I have started to eat in the dining room lying on a couch watching TV. That is also a pleasure and distracts me from all the tasks I have to deal with now and from my grief.

nanna8 Mon 24-Aug-26 14:22:03

No from me. Can’t stand it in hospital, either. I don’t mind eating sat on a lounge chair with my feet up but not in bed.

win Mon 24-Aug-26 14:19:16

I love eating in bed whilst I catch up on the iPad, never toast though but a sandwich and fruit is always enjoyable. Particularly last thing at night when I am all ready and just have to do one last teeth brushing before switching off. Perfect.

Vintagegirl Mon 24-Aug-26 14:18:04

oh one of my life's pleasures! Best place to be when your bed is only warm place in the house. Yes just tea n toast and so what about the crumbs? quick wipe over of sheet maybe with a special defluff thingie.