Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Strange personal messages

(64 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Oct-26 09:45:51

After posting on a thread, I got a cheerful-sounding PM from someone commenting favourably on what I had said and asking some fairly reasonable questions. We had a few messages backwards and forwards, but it occurred to me that all the questions were based on bouncing back what I had said, and that the poster didn't come up with any original ideas. Also, there was no first name at the end of the messages, which I (perhaps wrongly) regarded as etiquette for PMs.

Anyway, I was pretty sure that it was a bot, and I know that I am not the only person to have had PMs from that "person". Apparently the name is now classed as a "former user", so perhaps someone has already reported it.

We all need to think about PMs from unfamiliar names - are they looking for information or am I paranoid?...

mokryna Thu 08-Oct-26 09:53:58

I had a strange one from San Francisco last week, I reported it. It was questioning me about my grocery shopping and what kind of shoes I buy.

monk08 Thu 08-Oct-26 09:58:32

mokryna I had the San Francisco one commenting on my bright slippers? The slippers were a very dull green just blocked them.

Elless Thu 08-Oct-26 09:58:40

Yes, I did too from the username Chestersmiles. I may get a backlash from mentioning their name but it's the only way to get feedback.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 08-Oct-26 10:00:43

Me too on Monday same person asking me for further thoughts on the death penalty.

mokryna Thu 08-Oct-26 10:02:29

Yes, it was Chestersmiles. Did you report it as it is as if an unofficial source has managed to get into our posts.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Oct-26 10:05:17

That's the one I got. I've reported it too - the more the merrier!

Cossy Thu 08-Oct-26 10:05:51

I don’t think you are in any way “paranoid”, sadly we all have to be very careful these days. Sad, isn’t it.

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 10:07:33

mokryna

I had a strange one from San Francisco last week, I reported it. It was questioning me about my grocery shopping and what kind of shoes I buy.

Ditto!

I did not respond.

I am going to report it.

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 10:08:57

I have blocked and reported.

monk08 Thu 08-Oct-26 10:09:38

I will report now.

Tizliz Thu 08-Oct-26 10:29:35

Chestersmiles praised my patio cleaning. Just ignored them

Greenfinch Thu 08-Oct-26 10:36:48

Mine from him/ her was about shoes. Pretty harmless and not offensive. I just ignored it.

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 11:00:24

Scammers wind you in with innocuous messages.

I was trained to be suspicious of unsolicited messages.
I trust no-one. 😉

Calendargirl Thu 08-Oct-26 11:12:54

I had the San Francisco one.

Commenting on my answer to a post.

I didn’t respond, and blocked it.

blue14 Thu 08-Oct-26 11:22:09

I also had one from chestersmiles after I complimented Witzend on her creations.
He asked what items I made.
I didn't respond and deleted it.

Sago Thu 08-Oct-26 11:23:17

Yes I had the San Francisco one, I checked it out and he/she has posted but only once I think.

I am fairly sure it’s a foot fetishised.

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 12:25:23

I am fairly sure it’s a foot fetishised..

Mine was also about shoes. 🤣

Sago Thu 08-Oct-26 12:31:36

After 3 weeks hiking in Canada my feet would cure him/her immediately.

butterandjam Thu 08-Oct-26 12:38:20

mokryna

Yes, it was Chestersmiles. Did you report it as it is as if an unofficial source has managed to get into our posts.

Not "unofficial " at all.

Anybody in the world can read GN thread without being a registered member of GN.

Only registered members of GN can post messages, and use the PM button to send a private message to another registered poster. So the response you got from GN, tells you that Chestersmiles was/ has been a registered member.

From this thread, its clear Chestersmiles has targeted certain posters.

There are no doubt many "registered members of GN " who never post; but because they are official registered members they CAN use the GN search facility . With that, they can track every poster's history on GN. Search for words of special interest ( euthenasia/ widow/ meeting / mental health / Cumbria/ shoes, then use PM to "befriend" selected posters who match their target group.

For sure, any suspect first approach via PM will be completely inoffensive/ innocent/harmless and reassuring. For instance, mentioning that they are in SF, safely 6000 miles away.....

Esmay Thu 08-Oct-26 12:42:16

Oh dear !
I was asked about going barefoot - a reference to a post about shoes .
I thought that it was genuine .
And answered.
They were very formal and polite.
We talked about animals ,art and gardening.
I did wonder ...
Now I know.

Usedtobeblonde Thu 08-Oct-26 13:03:11

I am going to confess to replying to Chestersmiles.
I now wonder if I should block him, it all seemed so very innocent but I did say I was concerned about giving out personal information to a stranger.
He replied that he totally understood my concern and was very old fashioned about such matters.
Am I being drawn into a cult, will I be talked into the white slave trade at 89?
Will I be asked to send 1000’s of dollars?
Seriously though is a con?

tanith Thu 08-Oct-26 13:11:55

Hand raised! I too was sucked in briefly angry

butterandjam Thu 08-Oct-26 13:16:44

Esmay

Oh dear !
I was asked about going barefoot - a reference to a post about shoes .
I thought that it was genuine .
And answered.
They were very formal and polite.
We talked about animals ,art and gardening.
I did wonder ...
Now I know.

I hope you didn't give away your real name, location, email address etc.

Sago Thu 08-Oct-26 13:21:43

Just because they said they were from San Francisco does not mean they are.

It could be Trevor from Leicester.