Chestersmiles sent me a pm asking why I liked sketchers Toms shoes .I posted a photo of them on the show us your shoes thread.He asked what it was about them that I liked.🤷♀️I did not respond.
You and Yours to be cut from BBC radio 4 schedule
After posting on a thread, I got a cheerful-sounding PM from someone commenting favourably on what I had said and asking some fairly reasonable questions. We had a few messages backwards and forwards, but it occurred to me that all the questions were based on bouncing back what I had said, and that the poster didn't come up with any original ideas. Also, there was no first name at the end of the messages, which I (perhaps wrongly) regarded as etiquette for PMs.
Anyway, I was pretty sure that it was a bot, and I know that I am not the only person to have had PMs from that "person". Apparently the name is now classed as a "former user", so perhaps someone has already reported it.
We all need to think about PMs from unfamiliar names - are they looking for information or am I paranoid?...
Chestersmiles sent me a pm asking why I liked sketchers Toms shoes .I posted a photo of them on the show us your shoes thread.He asked what it was about them that I liked.🤷♀️I did not respond.
If everyone reports Csmiles the the name will be blocked… in time another to pop up. However, GN has not confirmed it is in receipt of my report, yet, in its usual rapid response.
Marydoll
^I am fairly sure it’s a foot fetishised.^.
Mine was also about shoes. 🤣
Mine was about shortbread. Can you be a shortbread fetishist, I wonder?
Another GN member ( a real one) told me that a search on GN for Chestersmiles said that it was the name of a former user.
Like you, mokryna, I haven't had the quick response I was expecting from GNHQ. However, I've never reported a PM before, so maybe they don't respond to that in the same way as they do to a reported post.
In my reply I didnot sign with my name, only Regards.
I did make a reference to my region but no detail as to where in the area and gave no other personal information, my original post to which he referred contained the information that I am a widow, but that is all.
Usedtobeblonde
I am going to confess to replying to Chestersmiles.
I now wonder if I should block him, it all seemed so very innocent but I did say I was concerned about giving out personal information to a stranger.
He replied that he totally understood my concern and was very old fashioned about such matters.
Am I being drawn into a cult, will I be talked into the white slave trade at 89?
Will I be asked to send 1000’s of dollars?
Seriously though is a con?
You've been charmed by a conman who targets old ladies online . Online, he can imitate the charm and manners of an oldfashioned gentlemen.
However, "used to be blonde" suggest your hair is now grey or white; age range reveal. "Gransnet"; confirmation of social status.
Potentially a frail elderly widow living alone; owns a valuable property and healthy bank account. After a bit more gentlemanly charm and reassurance, could easily reveal either her own or family members full names, ages/birth/marriage/death dates/ location. Making all an ideal target for ID theft.
Or he could just sell your details online; "daft old dear , easy victim/target for knockers, or a break-in".
All/most of us who post on the Good morning thread say where we are posting from, in other posts we say where we are visiting nearby, we talk about our families,our general doings.
Some post about their homes, indicating wealth in some cases, some being lonely and vulnerable.
I am seriously concerned now.
So concerned I am going to consider every post I make.
I am furious that someone can make me feel so ill at ease and scared.
I had messages from Chestersmiles too. I searched and as there was no history of posts on GN, ignored him/her.
mokryna
I had a strange one from San Francisco last week, I reported it. It was questioning me about my grocery shopping and what kind of shoes I buy.
Your grocery shopping can signal you're shopping and cooking for one; and a great deal about your social , financial and health status.
The kind of shoes and older woman buys/wears are an indicator of health, fitness, social activity and mobility.
My Nigerian Prince seems to have dumped me😩
Oreo, I don't understand why I got messages from a shortbread fetishist from San Francisco, but not from a Nigerian Prince who wants to give me money. It's not fair!
I'm sorry you've been dumped though. You must be very disappointed. 
"... be sure to wear some flowers in your hair ... 🎵 🎹 🎶 (I also got the DM from San Francisco. I blocked the sender. Boring. Didn't report it so I'm glad others did).
Sometimes I think the DM function is unnecessary. Do GN members often use it I wonder...
The rogue poster has obviously been trawling GN, for info,
I suspect they are looking for vulnerable posters, to scam.
Just don't respond and block.
butterandjam -
No I didn't.
I once had a guy posing as a soldier in Afghanistan and after asking me to marry him -he wanted money in order to explore a hidden cache of gold !
I didn't comply.
Wheniwasyourage
*Oreo*, I don't understand why I got messages from a shortbread fetishist from San Francisco, but not from a Nigerian Prince who wants to give me money. It's not fair!
I'm sorry you've been dumped though. You must be very disappointed.
I’m gutted.
I was going to invest in his up and coming witch doctor business that he advertised on here.
Smileless2012
I had messages from Chestersmiles too. I searched and as there was no history of posts on GN, ignored him/her.
www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/a1361939-Trump-Carlson-on-Trumps-nihilism
No hint of feet in his/her contribution here!
🦶
C Smiles followed up my reply to a post, I had said a tv series I was watching was a book I had read, but couldn’t remember the outcome.
He asked me what sort of books I liked?
📚🤷♀️
I had a “foot” one from USA and ignored it as I thought it was someone with a foot fetish .
Always suspicious, me 😁
Sago
Just because they said they were from San Francisco does not mean they are.
It could be Trevor from Leicester.
.... or the Nigerian Prince, trying a new angle.
I once got a message from my Parish Priest, asking me to buy Amazon vouchers. For the record, my Diocesan contact details are known, because I am Safeguarding Officer.
I was in a hurry, and said I would read later.
When I read later, I realised that my P.P would never use such flowery (and holy) language. He was a a grumpy so and so!
I have to admit, the scammers were good and I was nearly taken in.
However, I would never considering responding on GN to a complete stranger, with whom I had never previously interacted.
I spent years drumming internet safety into pupils and staff, suspicion is part of my nature.
I think Chestermiles has been blocked as I had an email saying he/she had sent me a PM but there was nothing in my inbox
I also had a message from ChesterSmiles, no mention of feet, just what made me like a certain tv programme.
Being one of the most suspicious people I know, I deleted and blocked.
The ‘mum, I’ve lost my purse and I’ve had to change my mobile number, please send money ‘ is back in circulation. I had one today 😫
I also had the San Francisco one. I just blocked but didn't report He/she commented on my 'all fours' method of lowering myself into the bath.
shysal - now that’s a compliment you can’t discard 😂
Chestersmiles PM’d me and was very flattering, I was quite happy at first because I don’t get PM’d very often, but then he/she asked what my DDs like to read in the bath which was creepy so I didn’t reply.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.