Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Strange personal messages

(65 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Oct-26 09:45:51

After posting on a thread, I got a cheerful-sounding PM from someone commenting favourably on what I had said and asking some fairly reasonable questions. We had a few messages backwards and forwards, but it occurred to me that all the questions were based on bouncing back what I had said, and that the poster didn't come up with any original ideas. Also, there was no first name at the end of the messages, which I (perhaps wrongly) regarded as etiquette for PMs.

Anyway, I was pretty sure that it was a bot, and I know that I am not the only person to have had PMs from that "person". Apparently the name is now classed as a "former user", so perhaps someone has already reported it.

We all need to think about PMs from unfamiliar names - are they looking for information or am I paranoid?...

nanna8 Thu 08-Oct-26 22:51:48

I was thinking how good it is that we are able to share this information - a real help. Love y’all as they say here !

Fallingstar Thu 08-Oct-26 22:15:44

M0nica

I received one fromChestersmiles as well.

This was the text:
Hi Monica, I came across your post and wanted to reach out with a quiet hello. I’m very sorry for your loss. I know there are no perfect words for a time like this, but I hope you’re surrounded by people who care about you and give you the space to take each day as it comes. I just wanted you to know that someone noticed and wished you a little strength today.

After the wonderful response after I posted my sad post. To now be assailed by an opportunist like this who thinks that hopefully grief has addled my senses and I might well be a soft touch for a scam, sickens me.

So sorry. This kind of thing sickens me too and infuriates me.
What a piece of work.

Usedtobeblonde Thu 08-Oct-26 22:13:07

It was to my reply to M0nica’s original very sad news that Chestersmiles responded to me.
I posted that I knew what she was experiencing which outed me as a widow.
I feel outraged that scammers pick out people when they are vulnerable and play on it.

Grannybags Thu 08-Oct-26 22:05:21

Gosh that’s awful M0nica

I’ve had one from him too quoting from one of my posts. Very creepy

M0nica Thu 08-Oct-26 21:59:01

I received one fromChestersmiles as well.

This was the text:
Hi Monica, I came across your post and wanted to reach out with a quiet hello. I’m very sorry for your loss. I know there are no perfect words for a time like this, but I hope you’re surrounded by people who care about you and give you the space to take each day as it comes. I just wanted you to know that someone noticed and wished you a little strength today.

After the wonderful response after I posted my sad post. To now be assailed by an opportunist like this who thinks that hopefully grief has addled my senses and I might well be a soft touch for a scam, sickens me.

NotAGran55 Thu 08-Oct-26 21:55:16

Chestersmiles was impressed with my vocabulary! That’s a first I must say.

Retread Thu 08-Oct-26 21:49:07

I do think that scammers look for ‘hooks’ - a widowed cousin of mine, an educated, intelligent woman was totally taken in by someone she met online who liked art and classical music, shared her tastes. She lived in the US, he allegedly lived in the UK. I offered to meet him in person to suss him out. She offered that, he disappeared.

Retread Thu 08-Oct-26 21:44:59

hollysteers

Chester PMd me and complimented me on my sense of humour 😁
Reported and blocked.

Last night I watched Hey Beautiful on BBCIplayer. The scale of scamming worldwide is astounding and it’s hard to believe people part with such huge amounts of money.

I watched that too, and was equally astounded.

Retread Thu 08-Oct-26 21:44:10

Desdemona

Wheniwasyourage

Oreo, I don't understand why I got messages from a shortbread fetishist from San Francisco, but not from a Nigerian Prince who wants to give me money. It's not fair!

I'm sorry you've been dumped though. You must be very disappointed. grin

I would probably get along quite well with a shortbread fetishist.

😂😂😂

fluttERBY123 Thu 08-Oct-26 21:20:05

Chestersmiles is such a lovely name. I'm sorry he has completely ignored me.

hollysteers Thu 08-Oct-26 21:16:41

Chester PMd me and complimented me on my sense of humour 😁
Reported and blocked.

Last night I watched Hey Beautiful on BBCIplayer. The scale of scamming worldwide is astounding and it’s hard to believe people part with such huge amounts of money.

Desdemona Thu 08-Oct-26 19:39:04

Wheniwasyourage

*Oreo*, I don't understand why I got messages from a shortbread fetishist from San Francisco, but not from a Nigerian Prince who wants to give me money. It's not fair!

I'm sorry you've been dumped though. You must be very disappointed. grin

I would probably get along quite well with a shortbread fetishist.

Esmay Thu 08-Oct-26 18:35:16

Chestersmiles mentioned having a little dog and it being recently deceased .
He seemed to think that I paint portraits of animals .
He said that it was proving difficult to send me a photo of his pet.
I said never mind and wondered if he'd ask me to send an email address /phone number .
I'm always on red alert .

MayBee70 Thu 08-Oct-26 18:02:18

They're obviously reading lots of comments and personalising the messages. Creepy!

Fallingstar Thu 08-Oct-26 17:52:12

Chestersmiles PM’d me and was very flattering, I was quite happy at first because I don’t get PM’d very often, but then he/she asked what my DDs like to read in the bath which was creepy so I didn’t reply.

crazyH Thu 08-Oct-26 17:38:17

shysal - now that’s a compliment you can’t discard 😂

shysal Thu 08-Oct-26 17:32:00

I also had the San Francisco one. I just blocked but didn't report He/she commented on my 'all fours' method of lowering myself into the bath.

crazyH Thu 08-Oct-26 17:20:24

The ‘mum, I’ve lost my purse and I’ve had to change my mobile number, please send money ‘ is back in circulation. I had one today 😫

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Oct-26 17:07:17

I also had a message from ChesterSmiles, no mention of feet, just what made me like a certain tv programme.

Being one of the most suspicious people I know, I deleted and blocked.

Sadgrandma Thu 08-Oct-26 17:06:51

I think Chestermiles has been blocked as I had an email saying he/she had sent me a PM but there was nothing in my inbox

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 16:59:06

Sago

Just because they said they were from San Francisco does not mean they are.

It could be Trevor from Leicester.

.... or the Nigerian Prince, trying a new angle.

I once got a message from my Parish Priest, asking me to buy Amazon vouchers. For the record, my Diocesan contact details are known, because I am Safeguarding Officer.

I was in a hurry, and said I would read later.
When I read later, I realised that my P.P would never use such flowery (and holy) language. He was a a grumpy so and so!
I have to admit, the scammers were good and I was nearly taken in.

However, I would never considering responding on GN to a complete stranger, with whom I had never previously interacted.
I spent years drumming internet safety into pupils and staff, suspicion is part of my nature.

TillyTrotter Thu 08-Oct-26 16:33:54

Always suspicious, me 😁

TillyTrotter Thu 08-Oct-26 16:33:29

I had a “foot” one from USA and ignored it as I thought it was someone with a foot fetish .

Calendargirl Thu 08-Oct-26 16:26:42

C Smiles followed up my reply to a post, I had said a tv series I was watching was a book I had read, but couldn’t remember the outcome.

He asked me what sort of books I liked?

📚🤷‍♀️

ixion Thu 08-Oct-26 16:02:48

Smileless2012

I had messages from Chestersmiles too. I searched and as there was no history of posts on GN, ignored him/her.

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/a1361939-Trump-Carlson-on-Trumps-nihilism

No hint of feet in his/her contribution here!
🦶