Gransnet forums

Relationships

Adult kids staying and not contributing.

(81 Posts)
Sli1260 Mon 15-Jun-26 09:34:28

My son and his wife have been staying with us for a few weeks before they emigrate to Australia. They have used our car which had a fault while they were driving it, so they parked it up and left it. They haven’t bought any shopping while staying here - even though my son has been bragging about how much money they have saved up and that he’s earned £7k in the last couple of months, freelancing and are very untidy around the house.
We’ve just returned from a week away, which was booked before they decided to stay with us, and the house hasn’t been cleaned or hoovered since we’ve been gone.
We’ve just been told that on their last night they’re going out to dinner with his cousin, and we haven’t been invited.
I’m trying so hard not to say anything negative before they fly out but it’s becoming really difficult.

CherryPops Wed 12-Aug-26 21:52:06

I’d just grit my teeth, not worth falling out about it. Annoying as it is.

nodramahere Thu 17-Sept-26 14:45:31

But you could do the same when you visit them.

Allsorts Mon 21-Sept-26 18:18:50

Grit your teeth. They will soon be gone but they have behaved badly and nothing to do with how you bought your son up I am sure. If they want to visit in the future I would suggest a hotel because you will not be feeling too good, and as for you behaving the same should you visit them, I wouldn't even consider it just be yourselves , but I doubt they would put up with it anyway.

M0nica Mon 21-Sept-26 18:52:34

Granimal

Sorry, but whenever parents complain about adult children’s behaviour, I think “Well, you brought them up!”

If you read all the thread, you would realise that the OP has acknowledged and addressed this issue.

But adult children are not clones of their parents and have minds of their own and I think all of us have watched our own children deviate from how we brought them up.Nothing but nothing could make DS tidy. I did my best and DDiL acknowledges this but every so often we get together and have a good moan.

Norah Mon 21-Sept-26 19:18:47

Sli1260 Mon 15-Jun-26 09:34:28
My son and his wife have been staying with us for a few weeks before they emigrate to Australia.....I’m trying so hard not to say anything negative before they fly out but it’s becoming really difficult.

I hope a positive attitude keeps you pleasant until they soon leave.