Gransnet forums

News & politics

No good reason still to vote Tory

(156 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:46:07

I have been reading and watching the various speeches at the Tory conference.

Blimey what a poor show it all is. The voter totally rejected them at the last election, and I can see absolutely nothing that will bring them back, particularly the traditional Tory voter.

Tax cuts everywhere together with spending cuts.

The voter knows exactly what that will bring - another 10 miserable years resulting in zero growth, getting poorer and continuing to turn their back on our nearest neighbours.

What a wretched message they are giving.

StoneofDestiny Wed 07-Oct-26 17:03:48

TerriBull
I think it's wrong for the state to acquire properties under such circumstances when the owners, may not be living there but are having the home acquired against their wishes

Have you the save view about the houses that were compulsory purchased to allow HS2 to be built? These houses were lived in and the owners had the houses taken. So many now lie empty as the HS2 route changed!

And who exactly benefits from HS2 - what part of the UK? Was it even necessary or just another vanity project?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:03:55

If posters are going to start with the hackneyed old trope of the right being selfish and entitled don’t be surprised when the opposite trope of politics of envy is used in relation to the Labour Party 🤦‍♀️

Personally I feel name calling in general and towards political parties is a sign of an argument lost 🤷‍♀️

Casdon Wed 07-Oct-26 17:04:21

Explaining, sorry, that didn’t make sense.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 17:05:51

GrannyGravy13

If posters are going to start with the hackneyed old trope of the right being selfish and entitled don’t be surprised when the opposite trope of politics of envy is used in relation to the Labour Party 🤦‍♀️

Personally I feel name calling in general and towards political parties is a sign of an argument lost 🤷‍♀️

Well said GrannyGravy13 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

TerriBull Wed 07-Oct-26 17:06:32

StoneofDestiny

TerriBull
I think it's wrong for the state to acquire properties under such circumstances when the owners, may not be living there but are having the home acquired against their wishes

Have you the save view about the houses that were compulsory purchased to allow HS2 to be built? These houses were lived in and the owners had the houses taken. So many now lie empty as the HS2 route changed!

And who exactly benefits from HS2 - what part of the UK? Was it even necessary or just another vanity project?

Yes!

Agreed! an abysmal failed vanity project and a colossal waste of money,

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 17:09:05

TerriBull

I think the connection to the thread Casdon is this, "No Good Reason to Vote Tory" maybe so! However, I'm also finding, for me there maybe no good reason to vote Labour either. As outlined above, I do not approve of the state acquiring privately owned property, I can understand maybe in the cases of landlords who haven't maintained their properties and leave them abandoned. Not in the case of inherited property where those who have been left homes in a will might be trying to sell. It just smacks of that nasty "possession is 9/10ths of the law" underhand procurement

Secondly my other reasons for struggling to vote Labour, and I await the budget, but I'd go along with GG, I think they've done nothing for business.

Thirdly, I'm appalled that the growth of welfare benefit payouts outpacing the salaries of those who are working.

You’re not wrong!
Labour have never really understood business it’s their main failing.

Susieq62 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:14:02

Cossy thank you for saying exactly what I think and feel plus experiencing even now as a volunteer in a primary school. Those on minimum wages/ universal credit/ stagnant salaries have to spend every penny they receive. So they actually put far more into local economies than any billionaire does. They are not in a position to hire accountants to hide wealth. What they earn, they spend.
I agree with Angela Raynor that empty properties should be taken off the hands of those who allow them to deteriorate, then given to people as a starting point on affordable rents. So simple yet effective. Plus, tough if you are a property developer sitting on long term land/ properties, You have ripped off enough people in our country already.
I could go on but the other half has either flu or COVID so requires some tic.

Giraffe01 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:22:19

The choice, ruthless, leftie Burnham, simplistic Liberals, changed beyond recognition Greens, Reform, who knows, I will go with Kemi!

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 17:31:53

Susieq62

Cossy thank you for saying exactly what I think and feel plus experiencing even now as a volunteer in a primary school. Those on minimum wages/ universal credit/ stagnant salaries have to spend every penny they receive. So they actually put far more into local economies than any billionaire does. They are not in a position to hire accountants to hide wealth. What they earn, they spend.
I agree with Angela Raynor that empty properties should be taken off the hands of those who allow them to deteriorate, then given to people as a starting point on affordable rents. So simple yet effective. Plus, tough if you are a property developer sitting on long term land/ properties, You have ripped off enough people in our country already.
I could go on but the other half has either flu or COVID so requires some tic.

Hope your OH feels better soon. flowers

MaizieD Wed 07-Oct-26 17:43:23

vegansrock

Tax cuts but increase in spending on prisons, defence, police etc etc not sure how that works…. Did she say anything about health and social care? As for the “Britannia Shield” it will henceforth be known as BS.

I'd really laugh if she manages to pull that one off. It's veering towards the MMT message that taxation doesn't fund spending.

I don't say that the media would murder her for it in the same way that they would go for a Labour leader, but there's far too much vested interest in the very convenient ;a country's budget is like a household budget' myth to let her get away with it.

Anyway, in her 'The Right Way' publication she's telling us that the country has, or is about to, maxed out its credit card (which is actually total nonsense) so I can't reconcile these two different ideas...

Susieq62 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:45:50

Thanks Cossy. It is definitely man flu or man covid .☹️

JamesandJon33 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:50:09

I have absolutely no idea what was said in that speech. I turned it off as everyone was clapping at the end of each sentence. Utterly stupid

Suzieque66 Wed 07-Oct-26 19:49:17

Errr hello ... what about Kemi saying that no one would have to lose money with the Inheritance Tax ? Surely that's not bad ?

Primrose53 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:03:22

I thought she gave a very impressive speech. She is a force to be reckoned with.

NanKate Wed 07-Oct-26 20:42:06

I agree Primrose53 👍

JPB123 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:46:17

Well said Kemi .

WithNobsOnIt Wed 07-Oct-26 20:57:26

Would never vote Tory and think the party which was set up to serve the rich and landed gentry is almost finished.

However l think Kemi Badenoch is impressive and should set up her own Party.

petra Wed 07-Oct-26 20:59:43

I’ve never been a fan of Beth Rigby but I gave her full marks when she was interviewing some of the party faithful.
The came out of the hall like giggling schoolgirls high on Kemi.
They couldn’t wait to tell her how wonderful it all was.
Then Beth Rigby produced the sucker punch by quoting the polling figures. That dampened the euphoria somewhat.

Meandrogrog Wed 07-Oct-26 21:24:08

Pilgrimandrew

Can't believe the number of deluded left wing voters on this forum, especially when the demographic must be such that most are pensioners. Any vote for Labour is a vote for the continued down grading and destruction of our wonderful nation. Most of us on here must be old enough to know, and have experienced, that socialism doesn't work, it never has and never will.

Well said 👏👏👏👏

Primrose53 Wed 07-Oct-26 21:43:50

Meandrogrog

Pilgrimandrew

Can't believe the number of deluded left wing voters on this forum, especially when the demographic must be such that most are pensioners. Any vote for Labour is a vote for the continued down grading and destruction of our wonderful nation. Most of us on here must be old enough to know, and have experienced, that socialism doesn't work, it never has and never will.

Well said 👏👏👏👏

Oh I missed that post from pilgrimandrew but I agree too. As soon as I could vote I voted Labour because my parents did as did the whole neighbourhood.

I carried on voting Labour until the Blair years but nothing would convince me to vote for them now.

David49 Thu 08-Oct-26 05:15:41

Suzieque66

Errr hello ... what about Kemi saying that no one would have to lose money with the Inheritance Tax ? Surely that's not bad ?

Weasel words, only 4% of estates pay inheritance tax, her ideas affect very few of the highest earners who should be paying more not less

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 07:16:24

Yes, and surely anyone who would let the interests of 4% of the population override their views on the other policies affecting everyone can see that it would be the ultimate in self-interest.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Oct-26 07:32:00

I a, sure I read somewhere that with the increase in property prices in London and the South East IHT will start to catch a lot more people.

These are not wealthy people they were just fortunate to buy a property score the boom, and manage to keep it.

Taking the family home out of IHT calculations is a good idea in my opinion. If the home is the only asset, it leaves the grieving family 6 month's to get probate and sell the property before they have to pay HMRC. The timeline is far too short.

David49 Thu 08-Oct-26 07:34:41

GrannyGravy13

I a, sure I read somewhere that with the increase in property prices in London and the South East IHT will start to catch a lot more people.

These are not wealthy people they were just fortunate to buy a property score the boom, and manage to keep it.

Taking the family home out of IHT calculations is a good idea in my opinion. If the home is the only asset, it leaves the grieving family 6 month's to get probate and sell the property before they have to pay HMRC. The timeline is far too short.

So a family home worth £2m+ should be exempt from IHT and benefit 1% of the population.

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 07:38:03

So people have to sell their £150k homes for pay for care, but it’s ok to pass on a £2m house and another £1m tax free? Really?