Gransnet forums

Health

Help finding a front fastening bra

(42 Posts)
sweetpea Fri 25-Sept-26 20:42:06

Wonder if anyone can recommend a front fastening bra. I have arthritis in my left shoulder and the back of my neck and having a devil of a job fastening a back fastening bra. Any recommendations please?

Pinkrinse Mon 28-Sept-26 15:26:54

rubysong

How about the 'tank top' kind of thing with a built in bra. They are cropping up on my Facebook relentlessly. I imagine they would be easy to put on and comfortable. I have soft pull on bras from Tesco, cheap as chips and comfy. But I don't have a huge amount to support.

Yes. I had to go with a “front loader” after I broke my shoulder, and I still wear them they are so comfortable. Hope the photo works. Amazon. DELIMIRA Women's Front Fastening Seamless Bra
Plus Size, Plunge, Underwire, Unlined, Full Coverage £24.99

Pinkrinse Mon 28-Sept-26 15:27:37

Quoted wrong post! Duh!!!!!

Bestgrammaever Mon 28-Sept-26 15:59:05

From the US I have had several spinal surgeries and rely on front fastening bras. I buy from Amazon. This is one link but there are several. They advertise it being post mastectomy but I find them usable for those of us for those of us without breast surgery. Wireless Front Closure Bras for Women Jelly Mastectomy Post Surgery Support | No Underwire Seamless Full Coverage Comfortable,Enables Simple Dressing,front-clasp,Suitable for Post Surgery & old women
Wireless Front Closure Bras for Women Jelly Mastectomy Post Surgery Support

EmilyHarburn Mon 28-Sept-26 16:53:08

This firm makes their underwear and will sort out a front fastening bra for you. I have one.
www.suzannecharles.co.uk/contact.html
Tel
01234 871901

Jack62 Mon 28-Sept-26 18:46:14

‘Pour Moi’ do all kinds of bras - including front fastening. Reasonably priced and very comfortable! 👙😊

WithNobsOnIt Mon 28-Sept-26 18:46:22

I have arthritis in my neck, that is cervical spondylosis which causes nerve root impingement in both hands which causes numbness

Also have a very ample bust, a bit over weight and am recovering from a broken wrist.

I know people are trying to help, but l found some of knee jerk reactions around swivelling a bit patronising o be honest. Obvious advise for people who are a bit dim?

I have been trying to find a comfortable front opening bra for tears for my bust size 42F for years .

Also the cost for bigger ladies can be expensive. I also want to be able to try it on before I buy.

Not looked at John Lewis for a while.
Maybe try them.

WithNobsOnIt Mon 28-Sept-26 19:14:36

I have just tried to step into my M&S bra as advised. But it won't stretch passed my hips.

But thanks for the advice

I also find that bra straps not to be very well designed these days. Not long enough for me. Remember old skool when you could adjust from from front.

I live in hope.

Barbadosbelle Mon 28-Sept-26 20:30:00

.

Nearly five years ago I too was looking for a front fastening bra that was pretty, efficient and gave shape.

After a long search I found a brilliant bra that I didn’t think would work as it looked rather low cut (I'm a 42C)

But I was desperate and as my right arm was damaged I couldn't do up an ordinary bra at the front and feed it around - too painful.

Anyway it turned out to be absolutely great. Good support, so pretty, and so comfortable (wider cushioned straps stops any tramlines in your shoulders from heavy boobs).

I now have four different colours and they are still all great even after about 50 launders and tumble dries each.

They are £24:99 each and the Amazon link is .......

MELENECA Front Fastening Bras for Women. Underwired. Unlined Lace Cups. Cushion Straps.
.

suelld Mon 28-Sept-26 22:27:15

rubysong

How about the 'tank top' kind of thing with a built in bra. They are cropping up on my Facebook relentlessly. I imagine they would be easy to put on and comfortable. I have soft pull on bras from Tesco, cheap as chips and comfy. But I don't have a huge amount to support.

These are probably great of you have a large ish bust, but I’m a 44B and these don’t work for me …not enough bust to get into the cups for soupport when I move… they keep moving out of place… might suit some, they will be comfortable if so, but not for me!
Just be aware

Snowbell Tue 29-Sept-26 07:42:13

I wouldn't recommend M&S. The one I have has a very awkward hook halfway up the fastening which is really fiddly to do up and narrow straps which dig in.

NotAGran55 Tue 29-Sept-26 08:04:35

Have any of these suggestions been of help to you sweetpea?

Boadicea Tue 29-Sept-26 11:54:17

I've always done the "swivel" too but of course it does stretch the band so it's no longer an accurate fit.
As an aside this is a very useful site and you may find you're wearing the wrong size bra anyway; I used to buy 38A (when I could get it!) as I have a broad back and small boobs but then went to 32D (yes, seriously!) which was actually way more comfortable, surprisingly!

www.booborbust.com/

By the way, the pull-on type can easily get rolled up at the back and impossible to pull down if your skin is slightly damp, especially if you have problems with hands, shoulders etc.

Elegran Tue 29-Sept-26 12:54:23

Snowbell

I wouldn't recommend M&S. The one I have has a very awkward hook halfway up the fastening which is really fiddly to do up and narrow straps which dig in.

I think I have a couple of those, Snowbell One is fine, but the other has stitching so close to the hook is just about impossible to do it up, since you can't see what you are doing at that angle. I now keep the hooks fastened permanently, even in the washing machine, and put the bras on over my head. I put one hand behind my back to pull down the band before settling the front. That rather cancels out the advantages of having a fastening at all. Having said that, they are very comfortable and supportive.

Elegran Tue 29-Sept-26 12:58:46

Forgot to add - the zip front gives a very neat fit, and the hook keeps it together if the zip creeps down (best way to stop that it to take the zip to the extreme and then fold the puller down flat onto the zip. Most zip pullers clip onto the teeth somehow and resist pressure that would open up)

Paperbackwriter Tue 29-Sept-26 13:24:19

Cancer Research have some great front-fastening bras. They are VAT free if you are having cancer treatment (which is how I first heard about them) but still a reasonable price even if not.

sweetpea Wed 30-Sept-26 14:12:38

Thank you all for your responses. I, too, like many of you am neither a swiveller nor a step-inner! Have been looking at the various web sites but none seem to have any cup sizes bigger than an E. Because of the arthritis in my neck am wearing a cotton cami top which serves a purpose and I shall keep searching!