Gransnet forums

Health

Hair loss.Starting to wear a wig.

(61 Posts)
Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 14:40:04

After an illness last year I have lost a considerable amount of hair and unfortunately as my head is scarred the hair isn’t going to grow back.
I have been issued with a wig on the NHS which is actually lovely.The lovely lady who sorted it out asked for pictures of me with all my hair and honestly when she put it on me I had tears in my eyes as I looked like me again.My daughter cried and the lady in the shop was emotional too.
Now for the problem.I have a mental block about wearing it.I have decided next Saturday will be the day as we have a couple of family celebrations coming up so my grandsons party can be my trial run.Both my daughters will be there to make sure it is on right.
Can anyone who has been in this position encourage me?I feel stupid as it is a lovely wig and I am lucky to be better but my stomach is churning at the thought.
Thank you.

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 10:03:48

petra

Oreo

I don’t need a wig, my hair is nice enough but I have often been tempted just to have a change of colour and style without having to change my own.Watching tv series and films I have got really good at spotting wigs/ extensions/ toppers and have come to the conclusion that hardly any actors both male and female aren’t wearing them.Never been a better time to wear a wig and it be ‘acceptable’.

I wore my first wig in the 70s Nothing wrong with my hair but I was a dealer in a casino so every day your hair had to be at the top of its game. So sometimes I just popped my wig on.
It was amusing to see some of the punters faces. They recognised the face but not the hair which was a completely different colour and style.

😂
It’s amazing how colour and style can change your looks.

Grammaretto Sun 27-Sept-26 10:36:25

I wore a purple sparkly wig to a party after DD had rejected it as a fancy dress. I was paid so many compliments! Maybe it released my inhibitions.

I think I can understand how you feel about going public Susan. Good luck and have a great time. I bet you look fab.
Now where did I leave my teeth...... 😂

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 11:16:10

….and my falsies😁

Stansgran Sun 27-Sept-26 13:27:04

Dad has had chemo and lost her hair. Her wigs have been very tongue in cheek-wild dishevelled red or white nothing like her own long wavy hair.

Aldom Mon 28-Sept-26 14:21:54

Susan56

Oreo, I plan to buy another but not ready to go too different on the style!

Whitewave, you were right, once I had it on my usual stress about my hair disappeared.I thought the same about high winds going into autumn.Think I will be wearing a woolly hat those days!

hamster, thank you.

I wonder if you are prepared to tell us where your wig came from Susan56 ? Was it a local supplier or online? smile

Susan56 Mon 28-Sept-26 15:18:50

Thank you all again for the further advice and encouragement.

My wig was prescribed on the NHS.They give you a list of suppliers.DD did the research and chose a shop in Chester.It was a good choice, the lady who we saw was brilliant in every way.

I am entitled to two every five years on prescription so will probably have to buy some more in between prescriptions.

Aldom Mon 28-Sept-26 18:52:03

Thank you Susan 😊

Oreo Mon 28-Sept-26 22:11:30

There are lots on Amazon!

Contraryme Mon 05-Oct-26 12:16:00

I have frontal scarring alopecia and have a custom made front hair piece. It's been colour matched to my own hair, and made to just cover the area where I have lost hair. I forget that I am wearing it and I keep it on for three to four days. I visit a place in Birmingham, they are excellent. The hair piece was expensive but I think that it was worth it.

Oreo Mon 05-Oct-26 12:21:44

If you want to test what colour and style will suit you for a wig there are some cheap wigs on Amazon, I don’t need one but am quite tempted😃 my DD’s both have long wigs which they wear now and again and say a tip is to spray a bit of dry shampoo on them to take any unwanted shine off them.