Gransnet forums

Health

Hair loss.Starting to wear a wig.

(60 Posts)
Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 14:40:04

After an illness last year I have lost a considerable amount of hair and unfortunately as my head is scarred the hair isn’t going to grow back.
I have been issued with a wig on the NHS which is actually lovely.The lovely lady who sorted it out asked for pictures of me with all my hair and honestly when she put it on me I had tears in my eyes as I looked like me again.My daughter cried and the lady in the shop was emotional too.
Now for the problem.I have a mental block about wearing it.I have decided next Saturday will be the day as we have a couple of family celebrations coming up so my grandsons party can be my trial run.Both my daughters will be there to make sure it is on right.
Can anyone who has been in this position encourage me?I feel stupid as it is a lovely wig and I am lucky to be better but my stomach is churning at the thought.
Thank you.

Jaxjacky Sun 20-Sept-26 15:18:36

I don’t wear one, but my very good friend has a few from the NHS,a brilliant service.
She had the same angst Susan so wore her first one around the house to get used to it, then ventured to the shops, then went to lunch with a couple of friends. This got her used to it, her two friends made passing complimentary comments.
Then she went to our local, about 25 people she’s known for years, none of the men said a word, a couple of women said ‘you’re hair looks nice, had it done?’ The whole ‘coming out’ went well.
Be brave, you have been to go and get it fitted, I bet you look smashing and your confidence will radiate out once you’re there.
Welcome to your new world, good luck.

hollysteers Sun 20-Sept-26 15:26:07

The wig sounds lovely and you feel you look like yourself again! That’s marvellous. Hair “enhancements” are so much better these days and as it is based on how you had your hair, no one will be surprised I’m sure.

I put some extensions in my now fine hair (radiotherapy, age) when I go out and think they are wonderful. Not long, but enough to thicken up my hair.
Get over this first hurdle and you will soon feel completely happy and used to your look. You have your daughters to support you too.
Enjoy the party!

petra Sun 20-Sept-26 15:32:48

I lost a lot of hair after I had covid so I bought a wig. I loved it so much I kept it on when I left the shop.
I don’t wear it so much now but when I do people comment on my hair I tell them, its not mine 😂
You probably don’t realise that most of the women you see in the media are wearing wigs or clip ins.
It’s a perfectly normal thing to wear now, not as it was years ago.

Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 16:03:57

Thank you for your encouraging comments and kindness.
It’s definitely encouraging to hear about other people’s experience.Hopefully once I have worn it a few times my confidence will grow 🤞🏻

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 20-Sept-26 16:08:16

The mother of my DIL wears one, and I think that she looks absolutely great in it. Take the plunge, Susan..

Maremia Sun 20-Sept-26 16:08:18

You have done the hard bit, and are now moving on to the next stage.
Every time you wear it in company, should make you feel more relaxed.
Good luck.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 20-Sept-26 16:25:23

So my experience.

Breast cancer - hair thinned considerably,
Covid - hair thinned more
Immediately followed by flu when more came out.
This year I has viral bronchitis and hair thinned more, and was so thin in places it was impossible to get it to look decent.

So I off I went to an NHS recommended wig supplier.

Result - brilliant. Plus VAT free because it is as a result of medical conditions.

Like you I felt really difficult about wearing it in public. My first trip out was lunch in a garden centre, and I decided to act completely normal. It was obvious that no one noticed at all. My confidence grew and I now wear it constantly when out and I completely forget about it. I have had frequent compliments about my hair, and if it is someone I know I always tell them, and their mouth drops! They obviously haven't a clue.

I am now browsing all sorts of styles and colours - I’ve got plans!!😄😄😄

Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 16:33:01

Thank you all and Whitewavemark2 I hope to emulate your confidence.
I agree the NHS wig service is brilliant.
I actually am feeling better about it already reading all your responses.

Patsy70 Sun 20-Sept-26 17:13:55

Enjoy the party, Susan. So many encouraging comments, especially from Whitewavemark2. Enjoy browsing!

Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 17:29:42

Thank you Patsy😊

HelterSkelter1 Sun 20-Sept-26 17:34:58

What a lovely positive thread. I think the advice to wear it round the house and then outside for short trips is really good.

I hope you have a wonderful time at the family celebrations.

Aldom Sun 20-Sept-26 17:47:13

Some years ago I was at a function and a lady sitting near me had the most beautiful hair.
I told her how lovely her hair was and she said 'It's a wig'. I would never have guessed!
Enjoy your new hair Susan.
Very best wishes. Perhaps you will be wearing it when we eventually meet up. Maybe next time you come to the dentist? smile flowers

MayBee70 Sun 20-Sept-26 17:49:42

Nicole Kidman has red frizzy hair so wears wigs all the time. Just think Nicole when you’re wearing it!

Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 17:56:58

Ok I will channel my inner Nicole and yes Aldom I hope so.
Everyone’s positive comments have made me feel so much better about it all.

Redrobin51 Sun 20-Sept-26 18:08:16

Think of yourself as Joan Collins as she is quite open about wearing wigs . I am sure you look lovely.

mokryna Sun 20-Sept-26 18:12:37

Those who do wear wigs. Did you wear them during the summer heat?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 20-Sept-26 18:30:51

mokryna

Those who do wear wigs. Did you wear them during the summer heat?

Yes I did. They are very light, and I would never go out into the sun without a hat in any case (skin cancer).

I spent very little time out in the sun though, because at 80 it isn’t terribly sensible.

mokryna Sun 20-Sept-26 20:47:56

Thank you Whitewavemark2

MT62 Sun 20-Sept-26 21:11:14

So did the beautiful Dolly.
Wigs are fab these days. So many lovely colours & styles.
There used be a good wig shop on Penny lane in Liverpool, might well be still there.
She did a lot for cancer patients & other types of hair loss.

Romola Sun 20-Sept-26 21:38:09

Do let us know how you get on at the family celebration, Susan56.
I know we all hope you have a really good time with your new hair.

Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 22:19:39

I will let you know how it goes.Am feeling slightly more confident just having talked it out.Thank you all.

Sago Sun 20-Sept-26 22:28:16

I took my late MIL to have a wig consultation, she had lost her hair during chemo.

She chose a wig and had it cut and styled whilst wearing it, in the following months she purchased about 5 wigs, she got so many compliments on her hair!

The receptionists at the hospital were so impressed with her hair they asked for some cards for her “wig lady”.

The wig lady got so much business from the hospital she gave my MIL a free wig and cut/style.

crazyH Sun 20-Sept-26 22:59:57

Good luck Susan - a friend who lives down the street lost most of her hair during a very stressful time in her life. Tbh I didn’t notice at all, either that she had lost her hair or that she wore a wig , although I did notice she was wearing a woolly hat for some time.
Don’t worry at all about wearing a wig. I think Joan Collins wears one and I’m sure the late and lovely Dolly Parton wore one as well. And there’s a famous quote from one of them saying she’s been wearing a wig for so long, she could not remember what colour her own hair was.
Btw , I used to suffer from Alopaecia Areata. I bought a spray that covers the bald patches - it worked. I wonder if that will help you. Good luck Susan

Deedaa Sun 20-Sept-26 23:09:35

A friend of mine, who has always had thin hair, has gradually lost most of it. When she started to wear a wig it took several meetings before I realised it was a wig. She has two different styles now and in the hot weather often just wears a turban or a scarf. She always looks smart and I don't think many people even give her a second glance.