Gransnet forums

Health

Hair loss.Starting to wear a wig.

(61 Posts)
Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 14:40:04

After an illness last year I have lost a considerable amount of hair and unfortunately as my head is scarred the hair isn’t going to grow back.
I have been issued with a wig on the NHS which is actually lovely.The lovely lady who sorted it out asked for pictures of me with all my hair and honestly when she put it on me I had tears in my eyes as I looked like me again.My daughter cried and the lady in the shop was emotional too.
Now for the problem.I have a mental block about wearing it.I have decided next Saturday will be the day as we have a couple of family celebrations coming up so my grandsons party can be my trial run.Both my daughters will be there to make sure it is on right.
Can anyone who has been in this position encourage me?I feel stupid as it is a lovely wig and I am lucky to be better but my stomach is churning at the thought.
Thank you.

Susan56 Mon 21-Sept-26 07:58:31

There is too much hair loss for the spray now crazyH but thank you for your encouragement.
I saw a friend some months ago Deedaa who didn’t realise I had lost so much hair, she thought the wide band I was wearing was a fashion item!I am no fashionista!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sept-26 08:16:12

The glory is that your hair is always “going out” ready. You never have a bad hair day.

The one I have at the moment is an off centre below ears Bob - really like the style I’ve had for years, and the exact colour I’ve had my hair coloured, so am thinking of branching out.

Might try a bit of curl and greyer than I have at present.

poppysmum Mon 21-Sept-26 14:05:02

when my dear mother lost hair after cancer she needed a wig. the lady was very caring took ages choosing the right colour and style with mum a lovely lady
you go ahead and wear your wig your best outfit and a big smile go for it

hamster58 Mon 21-Sept-26 14:09:53

It IS your hair-with the added bonus that you can take it off whenever you like!!. As someone else said, so many people on tv use wigs or extensions etc, not to mention lashes eyebrow enhancements lips and nails etc. We all buy new clothes and glasses etc to make us feel nice or look better, and this is just one type of thing that does that. You look like you again, so I hope you can enjoy it.

Karen22 Mon 21-Sept-26 14:18:10

I bought myself a hair topper from amazon , just £20 and got my hairdresser to cut it into my hair.
Like you i was very nervous wearing it, but i took the plunge and got lots of lovely comments, people saying they liked my new hair style and a friend whos a hairdresser didnt even cotton on that it was a topper!
You will be fine and enjoy your new look 💐

Ray82 Mon 21-Sept-26 15:22:32

Please wear and enjoy the nice comments.I am sure it must be lovely for your daughters to see you so happy and looking fantastic with your new hair

GrauntyHelen Mon 21-Sept-26 18:43:19

Been there the sooner you do it the betterYou will get used to it and wigs are SO natural now noone will know

Susan56 Mon 21-Sept-26 22:00:29

Thank you all.Your kind and encouraging comments have given me confidence.

Sweetpeasue Mon 21-Sept-26 23:00:06

Susan56 Im following this thread as I too have significant hair loss, albeit not for such traumatic reasons as your own.
Been thinking about wigs for a long time. Another GN lady was very helpful and kind.
Just wanted to say that I can understand your reluctance about going out with one but I so hope you take all of these GN posts and have confidence . These posts are so encouraging.
Wishing you all the best. Nothing can be worse than what youve already been through.

Shabti100 Tue 22-Sept-26 10:33:18

I'm T2 diabetic last 25 years. I was on original GLP1 injections before licenced for UK use about 15 years took them for about 12 years until 2019. Didn't know it causes hairloss!!
Anyway hair got thin husband died 5 years ago the shock made me lose more I was so depressed. I went to Lucinda Ellery (very WAGs) to look into an integration system but it was incredibly expensive. So purchased a real hair topper after consulting Alopecia uk but the thinning caused the clups to hurt. It did look good though. Again consulted Alopecia uk and found a lady in the next town who ran a hairloss studio and had a integration consultation. Was way less than Lucinda but still pricy. Anyway in the end had it done in 2021 I was over the moon, you don't take it off its literally your hair. (Every 6 weeks it's refitted (as your hair grows). It's not hot like a wig or topper. You forget its not your hair!!! Worth every pound.
If my hairless becomes complete I will get wigs

Susan56 Tue 22-Sept-26 11:18:41

Sweetpeasue, the encouraging posts have really helped me.Also I probably would have put off wearing it again but for all the lovely comments.I hope you have confidence to wear wigs.

Shabtil, that sounds great.Unfortunately as the hair loss started on the top of my head only a wig is suitable.

Susan56 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:33:53

Reporting back!I felt so nervous building up to today and probably wouldn’t have worn it if I hadn’t told you all!
I am so glad I did.I felt confident and freedom to enjoy the day instead of worrying if my carefully placed hair would get blown in the wind and expose my horrible scalp.
My daughters and grandchildren and even my sons in law were so encouraging.I had several compliments on my ‘hair’A couple of my daughters friends who knew and had seen my hair loss were wow your hair is amazing, it’s really better.I did tell them it was a wig and they were shocked at how much it looked like my old hair.
I have to thank each and everyone of you who commented on this thread.Your encouragement and positivity have helped me more than you can know.

Primrose53 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:51:14

My cousin wears a topper and I never knew until recently. It looks great. She has very fine blonde hair and it has gone even thinner as she ages. I would never have guessed she wore one.

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 18:09:35

All I can say is, please do wear it, and enjoy your day and I’ll bet you’ll look (& feel) great thanks

Aldom Sat 26-Sept-26 19:31:33

So very pleased for you Susan 56 flowers

Susan56 Sat 26-Sept-26 19:48:12

Thank you all☺️

hamster58 Sun 27-Sept-26 01:02:10

Lovely to hear that. It brought a smile and a tear x

Whitewavemark2 Sun 27-Sept-26 07:40:53

Good oh 😊 Told you it would be OK, and the point is that you can forget yourself and enjoy the day/evening etc.

Not sure what would happen in high winds though😮😮. I don’t have a contingency plan for that!!

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 09:23:24

A secure hat!

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 09:29:05

I don’t need a wig, my hair is nice enough but I have often been tempted just to have a change of colour and style without having to change my own.Watching tv series and films I have got really good at spotting wigs/ extensions/ toppers and have come to the conclusion that hardly any actors both male and female aren’t wearing them.Never been a better time to wear a wig and it be ‘acceptable’.

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 09:30:22

susan56 well done, branch out now and buy a different one😃

Susan56 Sun 27-Sept-26 09:36:13

Oreo, I plan to buy another but not ready to go too different on the style!

Whitewave, you were right, once I had it on my usual stress about my hair disappeared.I thought the same about high winds going into autumn.Think I will be wearing a woolly hat those days!

hamster, thank you.

petra Sun 27-Sept-26 09:38:04

Oreo

I don’t need a wig, my hair is nice enough but I have often been tempted just to have a change of colour and style without having to change my own.Watching tv series and films I have got really good at spotting wigs/ extensions/ toppers and have come to the conclusion that hardly any actors both male and female aren’t wearing them.Never been a better time to wear a wig and it be ‘acceptable’.

I wore my first wig in the 70s Nothing wrong with my hair but I was a dealer in a casino so every day your hair had to be at the top of its game. So sometimes I just popped my wig on.
It was amusing to see some of the punters faces. They recognised the face but not the hair which was a completely different colour and style.

petra Sun 27-Sept-26 09:44:03

Susan56

Oreo, I plan to buy another but not ready to go too different on the style!

Whitewave, you were right, once I had it on my usual stress about my hair disappeared.I thought the same about high winds going into autumn.Think I will be wearing a woolly hat those days!

hamster, thank you.

Susan
Clips are your friend here. I don’t know what colour your wig is but you can get different colour clips.
Then a good stiff spray. 😂

ClicketyClick Sun 27-Sept-26 09:46:58

So pleased to read that it went well at the party and you confidence has built. Cancer treatment caused my DIL to lose a lot of her hair so wore turbans until one day her hair was loose and flowing so I thought it had grown back. I and others had no idea it was a wig. Onwards and upwards for your next family celebration and no more stressing about it.