Good morning Michael and all GN's on a dark slightly breezy morning in North Yorkshire. I can just begin to make out the tree but that is all so far. This morning I am taking my laptop to see my great techy genius at 10am. It is driving me mad at the moment. Not some great particular fault, but lots of irritating things. Some stuff it wont let me erase, another intemitent fault, which I always hate, as the minute you try to show it to someone it disappears and then later when you are on your own it starts again! He is always in great demand, so need to be there on the dot, and hope we can sort out a few things. Due to all the branches of various banks closing here, I am being forced into more online banking. Whilst I am perfectly competent to use the online I still do not like putting such information available to scammers etc etc. and with my background, I am aware that even highly sophisticated systems can be hacked etc.
I feel that I am running to stand still at the moment. Whilst (fingers crossed) there is some improvement in my leg, and in general terms my brain does seem to be working in a better manner, what I actually accomplish in a day never seems anywhere near my intentions! I absolutely must make some inroads to my ironing, as there is nothing available that I would want to wear to a business meeting or even a social meeting. I have everything washed but am down to those clean but not at all favourite clothes in the wardrobe. I am getting the basics done, as regards keeping clean and now cooking a bit and the kitchen is clean etc., but plants are languishing waiting to be planted, weeds to be pulled up, the seasonal wardrobe change over touched at all, and still annoyingly documents not found etc.
Yesterday, I made the most of the sunny but slightly humid day, by getting a washer load of clothes and towels done and out and dried on the line. Always pleasing. Went off on the yellow peril to the surgery, where I showed the receptionist the stupid text that gave me no information as to what or where this appointment was to be made, and she agreed that it was totally ridiculous and you could not tell any information from it. She made a note about it and the admin will be calling me at some unknown time today, when I shall be suggesting that someone takes a look at what they are sending out and uses some commonsense, whilst hopefully finding out who the mystery message is from and that I have not missed some important appointment!!
Then I went off to do a few more chores and ended up at Tesco, having for once , quite a successful shop, delving into the reducted basket and getting several good things including some seabass, which I enjoy, but which are usually at a price I wouldnt afford, and then there was a general reduction on some lovely cullen skink, so a fishy trip and had the soup for lunch with lovely fresh bread. Very enjoyable.
On the way back I decided as I was passing the library, I would call in and confirm that I wanted to be on a course they are running at the end of the month I think. I came in the back way of course, bumping over the horrible yellow lines which always hurt my back but you cant get round them. Then the tiresome hassle of the slopes and the 6 point turns etc. Finally got into the library. Coming in this way you arrive at the first floor level. This is both a reference level section, but also a meeting area , which is what we usually use, where there is a space I can park the buggy and then hobble into the room where they make sure that I have a seat with arms so that I can get up and down. There is a lift to the ground floor and usually a member of staff at the desk for enquiries etc. Just my luck that after negotiating the doors, there was no member of staff there and a notice stating that books should be taken down to the ground floor where a member of staff was available. However there was no camera, or phone that I could use to contact someone, and as I was in too much pain to struggle off the buggy and go down, and in any case could not have been sure that the person I wished to speak to was there, I then had to reverse the whole procedure and start to go home, in rather an annoyed state of mind!
Fortunately for me, but probably not for them, there were three women sat out in the sunshine having their break with a drink, so I asked them if they were library staff or were in touch with them etc. and they said they could pass on a message etc. I regaled them with my trip and told them that I would be writing to the library later but would like them to inform them that day, especially regarding the total non availability of any communication with staff etc, and that I would be in touch re the course etc. That I would not be put off by this experience, but how many other people might have had similar experiences and just not come back!!
I then finally got home, somewhat later than I had intended, and dumped the shopping in, and then off to retrieve my beautifully dry washing. Felt too weary to make any effort to do the extra jobs I had intended, and just got the shopping put away, enjoyed the chowder , and plodded through a few more things, managing to stay awake for the final part of Vigil, which I thought was very good, but yet again, somewhere around the news headlines I fell asleep and woke about 1.30am! Very annoying, that I cant get to sleep when I want to , and yet manage to drop off just where I dont want to,!
So today will be hopefully sorting out the laptop, then I shall be sending emails to the library, and also to the council about the state of the roads and paths ,and to the hotel that purports to have disabled access but hasnt checked it out etc., and then I think if I dont get some sort of satisfactory answer from them, I may contact the fire brigade to check that the rules regarding the fire certificate still stand. I used to know them off by heart when I ran various departments in companies. Firstly because that was my job, but fire is ,for me , the worst sort of thing, that I cannot control.
When I was travelling abroad a lot, I used to do some temping work in London, often in the city etc., and I always made sure that I checked on the fire exits for the department I was working in. People do not realize that when you work somewhere permanantely, you are shown the fire exits, have local knowledge and would naturally have that immediate ability to know where you should go, and the safest exit etc. As a temporary staff member, I often found that I had to ask where the exits were, as it was not the usual way to tell people, then sometimes you would see casual slapdash things such as boxes blocking fire doors etc, and so I was always very cautious about such things. It was always a tight line, as I worked for a very well respected company, and so you had to think about how their clients would feel if they knew you were informing on them. I did once have to go out on my first morning to a call box (no mobiles then!) and ring the fire brigade , asking if the place I was working in had a fire certificate, knowing that they could not be working without one. When they said of course, I asked when the regulations had changed that allowed them to pile boxes against a fire door!! By the time I had walked back to the office, surprise , surprise, there was an unannounced visit by a fire officer, and an office manager was being given a dressing down, reminded of the rules and obliged to send all the staff outside until the said boxes had all been removed and it was safe to go back to work. I made no comment when a member of staff said that was unexpected, they had never had such a visit before!! Well I must be careful today, as am obviously in a sorting mood and in particular feel that I have given various people enough rope to hang themselves. They have had sufficient time to sort out things and to let me know that they have dealt with the problems. Now having had no response they will see me in sterner mode. I shall not be backing down, on the contrary if I dont get any satisfactory action or at the least some effort being made to deal with problems I shall be stepping up into my next level, where the local papers will be getting letters, council meetings will be visited and I will be gathering as many other people to also join me so that they will realize that things will not go away if they just keep quiet!!
Ah well , there is more daylight if a bit grey and I have the mornings entertainment of tow pigeons wandering around having a peck about, whilst the agile squirrel is having a morning dash about up and down the tree and along the fence. Time for some coffee and to begin making notes and packing up the laptop, with fingers crossed that I shall come back from the meeting with some improvements. My hair could really do with cutting. As I have very fine hair, if it gets to that irritating level, too long for a short style yet not long enough to put up, it is hard to keep it tidy, but I havent seemed to find a space to get it done. Maybe today. will see if the hairdresser has a space when I am down the town.
I hope that you have a pleasant trip Mike and meet some friends. My goodness GrandMattie you had a day and a half of it didnt you? I hope you found your new spanish class people friendly and enjoyed the morning, and got a little rest after your exertions yesterday. Sorry you are having a down day Bellasnana. I think that there is that first regretful time when we look forward to darker days and colder weather, but then I think the joys of autumn can kick in, when there is pleasure walking through the leaves, putting on a warm jacket and not having to look for the shade. I still love kicking through the dry leaves and have been known to pick up handfuls and throwing them into the air just for the fun of it. You see, I know that I am only 9 really and still enjoy conkers, and autumn leaves and bonfires etc. This slowpoke old lady with white hair is just a disguise! I am sure the grandchildren will soon have you enjoying a walk through the woods or making bonfire toffee. Hope so anyway.
May you all have a pleasant day, and achieve at least one target - even if that is to keep breathing - by tonight. So on with the armour and into the adventures of the moment with hopefully time to draw breath and enjoy a decent coffee.