Gransnet forums

Chat

“I’m like…”

(78 Posts)
Cabbie21 Mon 17-Aug-26 11:03:10

Yesterday I met my grandson’s girlfriend. A nice girl, with interesting things to say, but every sentence was peppered with “ I’m like”.
She is a highly intelligent girl, who did exceptionally well well in her GCSEs last year, now about to enter Year 13. Grandson has just completed his A levels with high grades.
Why can’t she speak properly?
Similarly, one of our successful GB athletes, in a tv interview, peppered every sentence with several “I’m like”….I thought she was perhaps a bear of very little brain, but that is not true of my grandson's girlfriend.
Maybe I should have put this in pedants’ corner, but I don’t think I am being pedantic. Just old fashioned??

AmberGran Mon 24-Aug-26 16:56:06

'Literally' is my bugbear of the moment. Everything is literally, even when it isn't.

Yesterday a young woman told me she literally had a heart attack when someone surprised her. I have to assume she knows nothing about heart attacks.

I recently heard someone on YouTube say how his dog literally bites his hand off when he gives him treats.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Aug-26 17:12:52

There’s some very annoying word usage but I still think the like is the worst because it’s literally every second word