Gransnet forums

Chat

Reflecting on the weekend............. .

(58 Posts)
j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 09:42:03

and considering Monarchists versus the antis, I think we won. grin

Ella46 Thu 07-Jun-12 09:43:56

I think they are just biding their time 'cause they know they were outnumbered!
grin

AlisonMA Thu 07-Jun-12 09:49:53

jo4 talk about provocative! grin

absentgrana Thu 07-Jun-12 10:08:41

The media has certainly plugged the line that the monarchy has never been stronger or more popular. I think there is a great deal of affection for and profound feelings of warmth towards the Queen, but I am less sure that this carries onward to the monarchy as an institution. While the Prince of Wales pretty much got things right and in tune with the public mood during the celebrations, this is a rare achievement and he generally lacks the charm of his mother. He tends to come across as arrogant, bad tempered, impatient, self-important, with a highly developed sense of entitlement and completely out of touch with the lives of the rest of us. It doesn't help that he has had to hang around for years waiting for his mother to die before he can do the job (such as it is) that he was born for. In spite of the work of the Prince's Trust, he remains, I suspect, an unpopular figure.

There are those who will never be willing to accept the Duchess of Cornwall as Queen Consort. Although she is de facto the Princess of Wales, royal advisors clearly recognised that calling her by that title would be deeply unpopular and so used the Duchess one. I'm not sure what they could come up with as a suitable alternative to HM the Queen.

harrigran Thu 07-Jun-12 10:09:03

j04 flag [crown]

harrigran Thu 07-Jun-12 10:11:55

Huh ! the crown seems to have disappeared.

absentgrana Thu 07-Jun-12 10:16:11

Do you think it's an omen? grin

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 10:54:42

No! (to absent) grin

glassortwo Thu 07-Jun-12 10:57:47

Do you think Charles will ever become King?

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 11:01:51

Yes! And he'll be a good one.

Just like George V1 was. smile

Did you see him on telly going through old private films of the Queen's. He came across as really warm and family loving. Can't be bad.

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 11:07:58

I wonder if he'll have to keep his more eccentric views to himself when he's King? After all, the Queen doesn't offer advice on how to encourage plant growth, or criticise architectural monstrosities.
Just wondering....

glassortwo Thu 07-Jun-12 11:12:50

No didnt see it been away most of the weekend. But have heard good reports.

I think he needs to show he can be more like his Mum, he has a knack of saying something and he usually has to duck afterwards for the flack grin

AlisonMA Thu 07-Jun-12 12:35:16

Prince Charles is patron of Birmingham Royal Ballet and when he went to meet them all they found him very pleasant and it was obvious he had done his homework very well. I know many of them had a rethink about him. I saw pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall when she went to Elmhurst Ballet School and thought she looked an old frump. She certainly doesn't 'do it' for me.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 13:22:25

I think Camilla will make a good Queen. If they decide to go down that route.

I hope so.

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 13:32:30

I've always thought Charles was way ahead of his time with his ideas on conservation and alternative medicine. Camilla will always be 'the other woman' to me, probably because I've been there and got the t shirt. Loose cannon Diana might have been [and Camilla is much more suited to Prince Charles] but my ongoing thought throughout the festivities was 'it was Diana that showed you what your public wanted/expected from their monarchy and I hope you all acknowledge that fact'.

Mishap Thu 07-Jun-12 13:48:19

Monarchy is better than the alternative - we might get a Mormon leading the country - or an out-of-work actor!!

absentgrana Thu 07-Jun-12 13:49:54

Mishap Monarchy might be better than American-style president but there are other models.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:42:04

I think Diana's genes input has probably saved the future of the royal family.

Pity Harry didn't marry Chelsea (or she wouldn't marry him). It would have been nice to see some little chubby blonde children in the family.

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 16:43:48

They might have been ginger, though.....hmm

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:49:04

And what's wrong with that?!!!!

Careful here, Anagram. [warning emoti]

wink

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:50:05

(have got ginger in our family)

Ella46 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:50:27

Careful Anagram !!!! Some of us were born with a full head of ginger hair! grin

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 16:51:09

See! You're upsetting everybody now! hmm

Jacey Thu 07-Jun-12 17:03:25

crimson I agree wirh your comments about Diana flag

Yes Mishap ...I wouldn't want to go down the presidency root either!! [crown]

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 17:07:45

I was only questioning your assumption that their children would be blonde, jingl, and pointing out that there was another option - hence my hmm! emoticon!

(ginger in my family too!) wink