Gransnet forums

Chat

Reflecting on the weekend............. .

(59 Posts)
j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 09:42:03

and considering Monarchists versus the antis, I think we won. grin

absentgrana Fri 08-Jun-12 10:41:06

AlisonMA Ha ha. grin

Bags Fri 08-Jun-12 10:40:51

ej grin

jing, do stop moaning, there's a dear. flowers

nanaej Fri 08-Jun-12 10:39:02

Gosh I hope my lack of support for the royals have not made people think I am bitter and twisted! Far from it! I had a sweet, extended, fun filled weekend with friends and family. We had a right republican knees up !!
The only twisted thing about me are my arthritic fingers! grin

j04 Fri 08-Jun-12 10:32:45

Well absent, going by some of the remarks on here, when it comes to the Royal family it seems to come very easily! grin

Annobel I wouldn't dream of being anything but reverent towards her maj.

♥ Queenie.

AlisonMA Fri 08-Jun-12 10:27:55

Whatever your personal feelings about our royal family, they bring in a huge amount of tourist money to the UK and they employ quite a lot of rpeople. They do no harm and perhaps reign in a few of our more stupid Prime Ministers.

Could we leave it there?

absentgrana Fri 08-Jun-12 09:20:41

Stansgran Churchill said that (more or less) about democracy, not monarchy.

jings Just because someone disagrees with your view of things/people and dislikes/disapproves of some of them doesn't make them bitter and twisted. You really have to work at being bitter and twisted. grin

Annobel Thu 07-Jun-12 23:22:50

Just label me as a iconoclast - a label I'd be proud to own.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 22:54:49

Each to his own. smile

Annobel Thu 07-Jun-12 22:43:55

I enjoy things jingle: I enjoy being irreverent, or what you call bitter and twisted!

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 22:31:51

It could be worse, jingl.....hmm

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 22:18:50

Oh! Why does it always get so heavy on Gransnet?!

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 22:18:03

No fawning or slobbering being done here I can assure you Annobel.

Enjoying things as they come is healthier than being bitter and twisted.

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 22:14:43

Bit out of touch with all things tennis at the moment. What's happening with the Williams sisters these days? I can't stand Sharapova and her grunting. Used to like watching the womens tennis prior to that.

whenim64 Thu 07-Jun-12 22:10:26

Jess I share your views about the royals, and did not wish to rain on their parade (still happened though, musn't snigger) so I kept quiet.

I now look forward to see Nadal, Federer et al equally venerated when my Wimbledon fortnight comes around, and I shall be in heaven. If you are thinking of buying shares in the strawberry market, now is the time as my consumption during Wimbledon keeps the stock market afloat!! grin

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 21:57:40

Yeah - now we know where GNHQ stands on this issue! grin

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:57:33

Phew; haven't been rumbled then [orf with 'err 'ed].....

Annobel Thu 07-Jun-12 21:56:35

Irreverence is so much more healthy than all this fawning and slobbering over the very word 'royal'!

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 21:44:42

Yep! That's what is was crimson. Sorry. Tower!

I think they whipped it off, probably on the stroke of midnight on Tuesday. We can keep the flag for the Olympics.

How nice.

nanaej Thu 07-Jun-12 21:40:57

crimson! that is exactly what I mean..'bigging' up the royals when they do very ordinary things!

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:38:06

.....or is it ome sort of test to find out if I'm a true Royalist or not?

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:36:51

....was it 'for one day only'?

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:36:09

...why didn't my crown work...[crown].....

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:35:10

Being a racing fan I was watching something about the Queens' racehorses and it was mentioned how wonderful it was that a jockey that had won a very big race for her was invited over for a glass of champagne, and I could only think what was so wonderful about doing something that was just common decency. It's things like that which irritate me. But I do love pomp and ceremonyflag. And it gives people something to talk about [crown] other than Kerry Katona or Katie Price confused....

nanaej Thu 07-Jun-12 21:19:21

I have said this elsewhere. I do not wish the individuals in the royal family physical harm but what I find unpalatable is the veneration of the royals.
They are a super wealthy and priviledged family who are a tourist attraction.
They make absolutely no direct contribution to the everyday lives of ordinary folk and do not work any harder than the majority of any working person in the country ... bearing in mind the host of servants /ladies in waiting etc. supporting their every move! We have poked fun at other public figures here on GN the royals are no different!

POGS Thu 07-Jun-12 20:56:12

I don't agree with all the 'Hangers on' but I for one would far rather the monarchy than Putin, Mugabee or Kim Yong oogymiflop.

The monarchy are the 'system' not the dictator, thank God. As for Charles he has matured and appears at ease at long last with his life. Camilla may not be to everyones taste but she has never spoken out of term and it looks like she has been accepted by William and Harry so who are we to judge. She does'nt look threatened by Kate either and from the little we see she actually looks to be showing nothing but kindness and helping her settle in.

I find it a little sad they are spoken of in such a derisive manner by a lot of people who would not ever think to talk that way about others. It seems they are classed as fair game and I guess that's why I like the 'sytem' as it is, it's because they can say what they like the 'sytem' is working just fine. I'll happily settle for that thank you and I will also happily pay the 60p it costs me to do so.