Gransnet forums

Chat

Reflecting on the weekend............. .

(59 Posts)
j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 09:42:03

and considering Monarchists versus the antis, I think we won. grin

Charlotta Thu 07-Jun-12 17:33:32

The republicans or anti royalists have never been counted and there are far more than it seems. As long as there is the sentimental but loyal BBC they will never have a lobby.

I am dog tired today- packing for a holiday and wish I had someone to do all my work and I had just to appear there. No hassle with motorways or driving or suitcases. I think the queen does alright. She only has to get up and go where she opens a school or whatever. Her special cup of tea will be made for her. I would love that when on holiday! She doesn't have to look after her clothes or go shopping. When everything is done for you, you have NOTHING to do.
I think if she had to live in a council flat up a flight of stairs and had to do EVERYTHING then she would be tired out like every other 86 yr old.
I don't wish her ill but wish people would stop this everlasting praise of someone who has lead a very privileged life and when ill or frial will be able to remain in her own home, in her own bed and be lovingly looked after.

Now I'm off to GN-less holiday so you royalists can have field day sticking up for their queen.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 17:38:01

Have a lovely holiday Charlotta.

I can see where you're coming from. And I sympathise quite a bit.

But it would be a shame to call a halt on so many centuries of history. We don't want the world to become too dull a place.

nanaej Thu 07-Jun-12 18:08:51

it might be more interesting to have dark haired royal babies..we have had generations of fair /blonde ones... maybe Harry ( though is he really a Windsor??) will marry a non-white non-european.

Annobel Thu 07-Jun-12 18:20:21

Enjoy your holiday, Charlotta. I hope it isn't too arduous! sunshine

JessM Thu 07-Jun-12 18:29:30

Didn't know it was a competition J - do you mean on GN or in the world at large I wonder.
I did try my best to butt out and only slipped up twice - despite the plethora of threads, which seemed for a while to be breeding by the hour. And here we have yet another Jubilee thread!
I think the non-royalists on GN were very restrained considering and, being fairly grown up, did not want to spoil your enjoyment by sniping and carping about the monarchy!
Queen gets points for being utterly tactful and restrained for all those decades and never putting her foot in it. Very restrained. Res-pect!
In world at large who can say - the royalists were out in public view. The rest of us were abroad, out walking, watching Hugh Grant movies on satellite, gardening, in the pictures etc etc and not putting our hands up to be counted.
I am looking forward to an Olympics in which GN has: a rowing thread, a weightlifting thread, a canoeing thread, a diving thread, an indoor cycling thread, an outdoor cycling thread, a swimming thread, a track events thread, a field events thread etc etc grin
Oh I forgot - Wimbledon comes first and us non tennis fans will let you tennis fans have fun without any grumbling I hope.
But please can you make this be the last jubilee thread at least until the next time!

Jacey Thu 07-Jun-12 18:45:20

OK JessM you had me worried there ...what had I said?? confused
But eventually worked my way back to the OP and realised your J was referring to j04 [sigh of relief] emoticon

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 19:22:35

grin

Stansgran Thu 07-Jun-12 20:27:58

Didn't Churchill say something on the lines that a monarchy was an appalling way to rule a country but the other ways were infinitely worse

POGS Thu 07-Jun-12 20:56:12

I don't agree with all the 'Hangers on' but I for one would far rather the monarchy than Putin, Mugabee or Kim Yong oogymiflop.

The monarchy are the 'system' not the dictator, thank God. As for Charles he has matured and appears at ease at long last with his life. Camilla may not be to everyones taste but she has never spoken out of term and it looks like she has been accepted by William and Harry so who are we to judge. She does'nt look threatened by Kate either and from the little we see she actually looks to be showing nothing but kindness and helping her settle in.

I find it a little sad they are spoken of in such a derisive manner by a lot of people who would not ever think to talk that way about others. It seems they are classed as fair game and I guess that's why I like the 'sytem' as it is, it's because they can say what they like the 'sytem' is working just fine. I'll happily settle for that thank you and I will also happily pay the 60p it costs me to do so.

nanaej Thu 07-Jun-12 21:19:21

I have said this elsewhere. I do not wish the individuals in the royal family physical harm but what I find unpalatable is the veneration of the royals.
They are a super wealthy and priviledged family who are a tourist attraction.
They make absolutely no direct contribution to the everyday lives of ordinary folk and do not work any harder than the majority of any working person in the country ... bearing in mind the host of servants /ladies in waiting etc. supporting their every move! We have poked fun at other public figures here on GN the royals are no different!

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:35:10

Being a racing fan I was watching something about the Queens' racehorses and it was mentioned how wonderful it was that a jockey that had won a very big race for her was invited over for a glass of champagne, and I could only think what was so wonderful about doing something that was just common decency. It's things like that which irritate me. But I do love pomp and ceremonyflag. And it gives people something to talk about [crown] other than Kerry Katona or Katie Price confused....

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:36:09

...why didn't my crown work...[crown].....

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:36:51

....was it 'for one day only'?

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:38:06

.....or is it ome sort of test to find out if I'm a true Royalist or not?

nanaej Thu 07-Jun-12 21:40:57

crimson! that is exactly what I mean..'bigging' up the royals when they do very ordinary things!

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 21:44:42

Yep! That's what is was crimson. Sorry. Tower!

I think they whipped it off, probably on the stroke of midnight on Tuesday. We can keep the flag for the Olympics.

How nice.

Annobel Thu 07-Jun-12 21:56:35

Irreverence is so much more healthy than all this fawning and slobbering over the very word 'royal'!

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 21:57:33

Phew; haven't been rumbled then [orf with 'err 'ed].....

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 21:57:40

Yeah - now we know where GNHQ stands on this issue! grin

whenim64 Thu 07-Jun-12 22:10:26

Jess I share your views about the royals, and did not wish to rain on their parade (still happened though, musn't snigger) so I kept quiet.

I now look forward to see Nadal, Federer et al equally venerated when my Wimbledon fortnight comes around, and I shall be in heaven. If you are thinking of buying shares in the strawberry market, now is the time as my consumption during Wimbledon keeps the stock market afloat!! grin

crimson Thu 07-Jun-12 22:14:43

Bit out of touch with all things tennis at the moment. What's happening with the Williams sisters these days? I can't stand Sharapova and her grunting. Used to like watching the womens tennis prior to that.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 22:18:03

No fawning or slobbering being done here I can assure you Annobel.

Enjoying things as they come is healthier than being bitter and twisted.

j04 Thu 07-Jun-12 22:18:50

Oh! Why does it always get so heavy on Gransnet?!

Anagram Thu 07-Jun-12 22:31:51

It could be worse, jingl.....hmm

Annobel Thu 07-Jun-12 22:43:55

I enjoy things jingle: I enjoy being irreverent, or what you call bitter and twisted!