Gransnet forums

Chat

nanny state

(64 Posts)
pammygran Thu 31-May-12 16:59:52

Anyone else sick to death of being told how much alcohol to drink, what to eat & what not, it will be when to go to bed soon(to sleep I mean)..Nanny state give ita rest!

Bags Sat 02-Jun-12 08:44:27

I actually forgot yesterday that I have some caramel cheesecake chocs sent by DD2! I ate one the day they arrived and hid the rest from DD3 wink. Oh well, I can enjoy a couple later today after my hike smile

Greatnan Sat 02-Jun-12 17:00:22

Not really, Jess - I don't like sweet things, so I never eat cakes, biscuits, or sweets. I find just one square of chocolate is as much as I can eat. It used to infuriate my daughter, who is a chocoholic, when I bought a bar and it lasted me a week!. The only exception is chocolate brazils, as long as they are made with good chocolate, not cocoa powder.
My weakness is for lovely fresh French bread and for potatoes.

nanaej Sat 02-Jun-12 17:22:47

bags great link!

Re healthy diet: My MiL boiled veg to death. We could arrive at 11a.m. for a 1:00p.m. Sunday lunch to find the carrots and cabbage happily simmering away with the meat loaded with added lard. She ate loads of cakes, bananas & oranges the only fruit she ate regularly (2 x week) and plenty of suet puds, lemon meringue and trifle! She lived to 98 but never smoked or owned a car.

Mamie Sat 02-Jun-12 18:12:33

Oh yes, my Grandma was like that. Forty minutes for cabbage and sprouts, twenty for beans and peas. She added bicarb to keep it green and then pounded it to death with a wooden mushroom. Yum.

jeni Sat 02-Jun-12 18:29:33

My mil did the same! I'm more healthy!
I rarely eat greens! And when I do I like them soggy!

gracesmum Sat 02-Jun-12 18:41:13

2 points
1) greatnan if one square of dark chocolate is good for you, how much better is the whole bar?
2) Only 40 minutes for cabbage and sprouts, mamie? You all know that timing for sprouts is place 3 large stones in a pan of cold water, add sprouts, boil until the stones are tender, drain and serve.
and 2 1/2) was the wooden mushroom cooked or raw?

Mamie Sat 02-Jun-12 19:43:13

It was wooden - was it the same one she used for darning socks? I remember she used to boil her knickers in a big aluminium saucepan too...

Bags Sat 02-Jun-12 19:48:50

gracesmum grin

goldengirl Sat 02-Jun-12 22:22:08

I'm back to whole milk and butter in protest! I'm sick of being told what I should or shouldn't eat. I don't drink gallons of the stuff and I don't have much butter, but I do make cakes with butter when formerly I used soft marg. Probably my next blood test will show my cholesterol has shot up - but my parents lived on this stuff to a ripe old age and brought me up on it. It was only reading how bad it was etc in the papers that I changed. I've had it up to here [points to eyebrows emoticon] with do gooders telling me what to do.

Anagram Sat 02-Jun-12 22:33:38

Same here, goldengirl. We've gone back to full-fat milk and butter - the amount we get through in a week is not going to make much difference. We changed originally because OH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, mainly on account of his high cholesterol count - then the opinion was reversed after many tests and his just reducing his sugar intake.

j04 Sat 02-Jun-12 23:18:40

It's not really about nannying though, is it? It's about managing a tight NHS budget. If people make the effort to keep themselves healthy, there will be more money to go round for people who are in need through no fault of their own.

Guidance is good when it comes from the proper authorities. Money is being spent on researching the best foods to eat and the best lifestyle choices to make, and we need to be given the results of that research.

After that, we are free to make our own decisions.

nanaej Sun 03-Jun-12 11:51:45

I think it is the hysterical press that turns the guidance into 'nanny state' statements.
Probably any 'guidance' says something less 'shouty' than the papers would have us believe!! grin

absentgrana Sun 03-Jun-12 15:16:13

That's all very well jings. Advice about taking exercise has led to orthopaedic wards overflowing with middle aged men needing their knees seen to. You can't win. smile