Gransnet forums

Chat

nanny state

(64 Posts)
pammygran Thu 31-May-12 16:59:52

Anyone else sick to death of being told how much alcohol to drink, what to eat & what not, it will be when to go to bed soon(to sleep I mean)..Nanny state give ita rest!

Greatnan Fri 01-Jun-12 07:49:56

Printmiss - I am curious as to why you specify 'unmarried mums' - does marriage confer nutritional expertise?

Annobel Fri 01-Jun-12 07:58:15

It is an outdated term nowadays, Printmiss. There are many 'unmarried' couples who are no different from married ones except for the absence of a certificate. I was a single mum of teenagers from my mid-forties through no fault of my own. Of course, what you mean is young women who have babies without the benefit (?) of a partner but there is no reason why these should be less domesticated than those who have managed to find a husband. In fact, they have probably had an identical education.

Bags Fri 01-Jun-12 08:06:04

Small but relevant point: WE are "the state", not the government. Certainly our health is our business. I think the reason I get pissed off with all the so-called health recommendations that are published in newspapers is that most of them change after a few years hmm. The smoking one hasn't. And everybody knows drinking too much alcohol is bad for your health. People who don't 'listen' to their own bodies, which tell us when we've had enough, but just go with the flow because "everybody's doing it" and it's the fashionable "thing to do" (in some circles!) will not listen to recommendations. So most of it's a waste of "the state's" (that is, our) money. [grump emoticon] grin

Not that anything's going to change. The government will continue to tell us what's good or bad for us and we will continue to listen and scoff and make our own minds up.

Fun, isn't it? wink

Bags Fri 01-Jun-12 08:06:57

Which we couldn,t do without all the info that gets pumped out.....

Hmmm

Bags Fri 01-Jun-12 08:07:44

I like the zooming out imagery.

kittylester Fri 01-Jun-12 08:39:09

PRINTMISS, whilst not disagreeing completely with your post, I would point out that I have two daughters who are unmarried mums who are quite capable of, and regularly do, cook nutritious, healthy meals for themselves, their partners and their babies!

I think that I have had my wine allowance until November this week! grin

Bags Fri 01-Jun-12 09:03:03

How it works:

The Nanny State Process

wink

whenim64 Fri 01-Jun-12 09:33:52

I also have 2 daughters with children who have chosen not to marry. They both cook for their children and are knowledgeable about nutrition. Is the issue intended to mean young parents who have not learned how to budget and provide meals on a shoestring, where income is limited?

absentgrana Fri 01-Jun-12 09:48:52

I wonder if PRINTMISS actually meant young, possibly teenage mothers with no partner left to their own devices with a child and living on benefits. With little or no education about cooking nutritious meals or about budgeting, this must be a hugely difficult situation, at least for those with only limited family support. Of course, she might not have meant this at all, so perhaps I should shut up.

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 10:22:07

bagswhere did you find that? It's hilarious!grin

absentgrana Fri 01-Jun-12 13:37:20

I should like to know what basis has been used for this new recommendation (not actually government in this case) that women should not drink more than 1/4 pint beer a day or 50 ml wine. That's just over 3 tablespoons of wine. shock Actually, come to think of it, I have no desire whatsoever to know anything more about it at all. So :-P to them.

As for five a day – it's all sorts of other numbers in other countries. Totally random.

Mamie Fri 01-Jun-12 13:41:07

It made me laugh that the next item on the news that morning was how Her Maj likes her gin and Dubonnet. She seems to look well enough on it!

Greatnan Fri 01-Jun-12 13:43:50

And her mother got to 101 with a good helping of gin!
I shall continue to enjoy my one glass of wine with my dinner every night and keep eating lots and lots of fruit and veg, simply because I enjoy them.
I liked the chapter on food in Bad Science, it reinforced my own suspicions.

Jacey Fri 01-Jun-12 14:15:19

A little of what you like is no bad thing ...any over indulgence can make you poorly ...except too much time on GN!! grin

But , as usually, the research was turned into media grabbing headlines ...rather than taking a measured assessment of their findings. wine wine wine and tomorrow too!!

Greatnan Fri 01-Jun-12 15:39:22

The phrase 'too much' is often used to load questions for surveys, e.g. do you think too much TV is bad for children?' By definition, of course, too much of anything is bad!
I had to smile at this example of stating the bl**ding obvious on the TV news yesterday 'There is an increase in alcohol related liver disease, caused by too much dinking'.

Mamie Fri 01-Jun-12 16:35:44

Dinking?!? How will I know when I have done too much?
grin

kittylester Fri 01-Jun-12 17:06:05

Dinking or drinking - you fall over when you've done too much of either! grin

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 17:26:49

I like 'dinking'. Is it more or less harmful than drinking?

Mamie Fri 01-Jun-12 17:39:28

Another little dink won't do me any harm...

JessM Fri 01-Jun-12 17:57:39

The term nanny state was probably coined by the Conservative British MP Iain Macleod who referred to "what I like to call the nanny state" in his column "Quoodle" in the December 3, 1965, edition of The Spectator.[2] (source wikipaedia)
There I was thinking that Tory central office had dreamed it up in Blair's time.

glammanana Fri 01-Jun-12 23:32:41

I'd like to meet someone who has taken part in one of these surveys because no one has ever asked for my opinion in all of my 60+ yrs.

Greatnan Sat 02-Jun-12 06:17:56

Ah, how well I remember my dinking years . No,on second thoughts I remember very little of them!
The worst thing was waking up with my contact lenses glued to my eye balls, then there was the migraine, the nausea, the embarrassment.......I am glad I don't need to dink any more!

JessM Sat 02-Jun-12 06:36:22

Well here is some news to cheer you up from the frontiers of medical research, recently published in the BMJ.
Daily consumption of 100g dark chocolate 100 g can help prevent heart attacks.
The group studied were at a high risk of heart problems. But not a good idea, obviously, for diabetics. And it has to be Dark! And it is probably not twice as good if you have 200g!

Greatnan Sat 02-Jun-12 08:06:28

Oh, good - I eat one square of very dark chocolate a day - just because I like it. It has to have some orange, mint or nuts in it, otherwise it is too bitter.

JessM Sat 02-Jun-12 08:17:07

that is amazingly restrained.