Gransnet forums

Travel

Airport meal deals

(41 Posts)
km14 Wed 23-Sept-26 07:46:46

We're due to fly from Manchester Terminal2 in a few weeks.We have in the past bought sandwich meal deals to eat on the plane. Last time we flew we chose a Boots meal deal each. There wasn't a lot of choice and the sandwiches were absolutely disgusting. The other options are M&S before departures or WH Smith. There is also the option of making them myself. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you

Aveline Wed 23-Sept-26 08:32:33

Pret every time. Great quality and delicious

draughtillness Wed 23-Sept-26 08:59:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Sago Wed 23-Sept-26 09:02:42

No sandwich that has been refrigerated is tasty.

It’s taken me years to realise this!

Make your own but not egg!

FranP Wed 23-Sept-26 13:46:58

Always been happy with the good value and quality of Boots compared with other sandwich deals. Airports are very expensive, so take your own if you want better quality.

WH Smiths are OK too but limited choice.

Ray82 Wed 23-Sept-26 13:51:30

My advice is to make your own and enjoy with a coffee on the plane.Next year we go with JET2 and have booked a meal with them.Many holiday providers no longer offer a proper meal.Hope this helps.

Nanny100 Wed 23-Sept-26 14:05:45

I always make our own. A good quality roll, Brie, cranberry and walnuts for me and the same for DH, but green grapes instead of cranberry. A couple of cereal bars and it’s a good picnic!

Fairislecable Wed 23-Sept-26 14:10:27

I also recommend Pret they may cost a little more but are really nice.

I was recently a guest of the NHS for a week, treatment wonderful food not so much, my visitors brought me various salads and sandwiches from Pret and they were all really good.

Fallingstar Wed 23-Sept-26 14:10:43

We always had our own sandwiches because I hate mayo and every shop bought sandwich is full of the stuff. Usually would buy olive bread and use mature cheddar with crisp lettuce, tomatoes and branston, a bag of crisps, a flapjack, and a bottle of water.

Nelli123 Wed 23-Sept-26 14:27:19

I flew out of Heathrow Terminal 3 recently and was surprised to see that the airside Boots store is gone, and it's been replaced by an expanded WHSmith that is now offering a huge selection of Meal Deals, called Smith's. There's a lot of choice and it's better value than if you bought them individually. WHSmith itself is disgustingly expensive though!

DrWatson Wed 23-Sept-26 14:42:11

Most airport shops and cafes will be quite expensive, they have to pay huge fees to be there and get access to all those trapped travellers, plus they have to pay staff for all sorts of weird shifts?

And yes, a bought sandwich will vary in quality. I've no idea why some on here have bothered to detail THEIR fav sandwich, why would anyone else care a jot?

Oh, and for those recommending 'Pret' -- maybe not if they have a peanut allergy?!

Nanny27 Wed 23-Sept-26 14:44:03

I. Would always make my own but the problem is buying fresh salad only for it all to go off in your fridge while you're away. If like me you always clear your fridge before you go away you might have to resort to buying. I find wraps can be better than sandwiches.

Aveline Wed 23-Sept-26 14:58:22

Pret is full of warnings these days. I've never had a bad or even disappointing roll from them.

monami Wed 23-Sept-26 15:06:02

how about taking your own

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 23-Sept-26 15:19:21

Pret are always good.

Witzend Wed 23-Sept-26 15:33:57

Personally I’d always go for M&S sandwiches.
But if we’re doing a long car journey I often make egg and cress sandwiches -freshly just-hard boiled eggs, mashed with mayonnaise, S+ P, in nice fresh granary bread, buttered. 😋

4allweknow Wed 23-Sept-26 15:36:07

Depends on how much you want to pay and the stores available, also times you are flying. Not all airports gave Pret or have stores open 24 hours. You'll need to shop around.

MT62 Wed 23-Sept-26 15:47:45

Why don’t you take your own sandwich

mokryna Wed 23-Sept-26 15:51:40

Don’t buy any sandwiches at the big outlets. I use the free Yuka app and I was so disappointed with the low scores these ready made sandwiches scored because of all the additional additives hidden in the food. Take your own.

Paperbackwriter Wed 23-Sept-26 16:12:06

I suppose it depends how long the flight is. I think I'd rather do without food at all on any flight under 3 hours. Or just a banana. (Plus a bloody Mary on the plane!)

leeds22 Wed 23-Sept-26 17:11:28

Plenty of choice for sandwiches at Manchester T2 but I usually go for Pret. On the way home I survive on a banana, Twix and coffee. DH can't be bothered getting a sandwich before we fly but then moans about the lack of choice on the flight, he never learns!

Patsy70 Wed 23-Sept-26 17:14:57

I wasn’t aware that you could take your own prepared food, and always thought it was a con to get passengers to buy food at the airport.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 23-Sept-26 17:23:30

How would the airplane staff know the difference?!

cc Wed 23-Sept-26 17:35:58

I'd also always go for Prêt. My daughter was a day patient in a hospital this week and I took her favourite in for her to eat when she woke up, she was probably more delighted to see the sandwich than she was me!

Jeanieallergy21 Wed 23-Sept-26 17:40:26

I didn't think you were allowed to take food and drink through security