Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Badenoch trying to make Britain a “mini-USA”?

(67 Posts)
DaisyAnneReturns Wed 07-Oct-26 10:09:27

That feels like a reasonable way to describe some of the similarities the Conservatives have come up with. A start in that direction?

Badenoch's current Conservative project is explicitly about reducing the role of the state, emphasising individual responsibility, economic freedom, stronger borders and a much more expansive conception of free speech. Their October 2026 statement, The Right Way, says government should be “restrained where people are better placed to decide for themselves”, while being strong in areas where only the state can act.

There are some particularly American-looking elements :
A much stronger emphasis on free speech, including opposition to laws that the Conservatives argue criminalise offensive speech. Badenoch has explicitly presented America as an example in the broader Western argument over free expression.

Lower taxes, deregulation and free enterprise, with a philosophical emphasis on wealth creation rather than redistribution.

A harder-line approach to immigration, including proposals to leave the ECHR, repeal the Human Rights Act and restrict judicial review in immigration cases.

A rejection of the traditional One Nation/centrist Conservative approach. Badenoch has explicitly said that the party has been moving to the right and that Conservatives who disagree with that direction should “get out of the way”.

She has also argued that Britain should, like America, be much more explicit about putting national interests first.

It's worth looking at where these ideas have taken demodracy in the USA. The most striking recent figures come from three major emocracy/freedom measurement projects, and they all show deterioration in the US.

Economist Intelligence Unit

The EIU's 2025 Democracy Index, released in 2026, puts the United States at 34th, down from 28th the previous year.

Its score fell from 7.85 to 7.65, and the US remains classified as a “flawed democracy”, rather than a “full democracy”.

V-Dem — an even more dramatic finding

The Swedish-based Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) project measures democracy differently and produces some particularly striking numbers.

For the US:

Measure 2024/2025
Liberal Democracy Index- 0.750.57
Electoral Democracy Index - 0.840.74
Liberal Democracy rank - 51st / 179
Electoral Democracy rank - 46th / 179

V-Dem says the US experienced the largest one-year decline in its Liberal Democracy Index in its entire historical dataset, going back to 1789.

Its 2026 Democracy Report goes further, saying that America's Liberal Democracy Index fell 24% in one year, with the country's score returning to approximately its 1965 level.

The biggest deterioration was in things such as:

constraints on executive power
legislative oversight
judicial/constitutional constraints
freedom of expression
media environment
academic and cultural freedom
civil liberties.

That's a significant distinction. At precisely the point when some British Conservatives are drawing inspiration from aspects of the American conservative political model, international democracy measurements are documenting significant deterioration in some of the institutions and norms associated with that model.

I'm sure there is a counter argument to the this. I would be interested in any data that supports an opposite view.

Cossy Thu 08-Oct-26 17:10:35

Olivebranch

Well I’m just back from conference. Kemi is chasing no one, she really knows her own mind. Would make a great PM— I hope she gets the chance.
Clear water know between Tory and reform— big cheer for not joining up.

I’m happy to hear that.

Three years is a very long time in government though, none of us can know what else might happen between then and now.

foxie48 Thu 08-Oct-26 17:51:17

I believe our democracy depends on having a strong opposition party so I'm pleased to see the Conservatives beginning to sort themselves out even if I don't agree with their policies or would vote for them.

LemonJam Thu 08-Oct-26 19:12:47

I agree it's healthy to have a strong opposition party.

I also acknowledge Badenoch is more popular within her party (and with C party supporters) than she was at last year's party conference.

However the Conservative party is still trailing 4 points behind the vote share it secured in the 2025 General Election. Thus whatever popularity Badenoch has gained that has not make any discernible difference to improve Tory electability with wider UK voters.

Every poster will have their own view why that may be. My view is that she is choosing the wrong strategic focus. The estimated £6billion annual loss in inheritance tax revenue (when only between 4-5% of the population is eligible to pay IHT anyway) is a very clear brand message. Plus the majority of those who would gain financially from abolishing IHT are probably likely to vote Conservative anyway. The Conservative brand Badenoch promotes blatant prioritises and rewards the already well heeled at the £6billion a year expense (in just this policy) of all with with house asset of less than £1 million (as a couple).

Not sure that she's choosing the right path to turn around the worst GE results in the party's history.

Cossy Thu 08-Oct-26 19:22:51

foxie48

I believe our democracy depends on having a strong opposition party so I'm pleased to see the Conservatives beginning to sort themselves out even if I don't agree with their policies or would vote for them.

Spot on flowers

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 21:21:35

GrannyGravy13

Doodledog if IHT is not paid by the sixth month after death, HMRC starts adding interest onto the assessed amount. Which has to be paid from the sixth month date. This causes stress on the heirs, and in some circumstances they have to take out loans with the probate assets as security.

This is regardless of whether or not probate has been completed.

Yes, I can see that that is stressful. I would be happy for the timescale to shift, and for the money to be paid after the sale, but as I say, it can't be open-ended, as people would inflate asking prices to put off the sale.

Six months is a short time, particularly when people are grieving.

MaizieD Thu 08-Oct-26 21:33:48

. I think that many people would simply stop pushing themselves to do better if there were no tangible rewards for doing so -

I can't agree with this. I think that people who want to 'do better' will push themselves whatever the rewards. For the rest who just want to live a decent life with a secure home, a decent education, decent health care, a fair reward for their labour and anything else the state provides for our security they shouldn't have to 'push' for it.

Doodledog Thu 08-Oct-26 21:38:05

But if everyone got the same, regardless of pushing, why would people bother, which is what I was saying - I approve of differentials, but not with inequality of opportunity.

MaizieD Thu 08-Oct-26 21:39:04

I think that those who are saying that they will vote tory on the strength of the stance on IHT would do well to look at all Badenoch's proposals for running the economy. They are not good and would cause problems for the many of the millions of people who aren't caught by IHT.

For a start, cuts to state services are in her sights. We all know how that has worked in the past...

MaizieD Thu 08-Oct-26 21:40:31

Doodledog

But if everyone got the same, regardless of pushing, why would people bother, which is what I was saying - I approve of differentials, but not with inequality of opportunity.

Who is saying that everyone should get the same?

Sorry, have I missed something?

Foxyferret Fri 09-Oct-26 03:27:36

Slightly off piste here but hasn’t the government just changed the time allowed for a house to sit empty from 2 years to 6 months, otherwise they can take it? I may have got the wrong end of the stick. admin alone on selling a house can take a few months. If, say, a parent has died and left you a property, you are still grieving and now the stress to speed things up while organising funerals, house clearing etc on top of that seems heartless. What if it doesn’t sell within 6 months as very often they don’t. Is the government then going to swoop in and take it? Would be pleased to be put straight on this if anyone knows exactly the rules and regs.

Margs Fri 09-Oct-26 04:01:32

Righty-ho Kemi, let's have a hefty dose of Free Enterprise. After all, the privatisation of energy, railways, Royal Mail, water etc, etc, have all been such roaring successes.......

Smileless2012 Fri 09-Oct-26 08:14:49

Under labour, local councils can take hold of a property when it's been empty for 6 months and rent it out on behalf of the owner Foxyferret but they cannot take ownership.

Doodledog Fri 09-Oct-26 08:38:14

Yes, Maisie, you have missed the context of my post, which was a side discussion about equality of opportunity. I wasn’t quoting anyone.

foxie48 Fri 09-Oct-26 08:53:30

May I clear up a misconception, a house cannot be sold during probate as the deed of probate is required as part of the sale. What you need is a valuation of the house, not a sale. If IHT is payable and the property needs to be sold to release cash, HMRC has a number of different ways to enable executors to do this so that probate can be granted and the house sale progressed.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 09-Oct-26 09:00:21

Yes foxie48 it all relies on probate being granted.

Depending of the complexity of the estate and the detail of the will probate can take up to two years.

Whatever arrangements HMRC deem to make with the heirs, interest is added to the estimated amount of IHT due from the six month after death.

HMRC are not known for flexibility.

Lilyflower Fri 09-Oct-26 11:52:43

Free speech and small 'C' conservative values based on a capitalist system are not confined to a nation. It's hardly surprising that America, which has enshrined its values in a stated constitution, should share values with the society from whence many came in the seventeenth century.