Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Badenoch trying to make Britain a “mini-USA”?

(59 Posts)
DaisyAnneReturns Wed 07-Oct-26 10:09:27

That feels like a reasonable way to describe some of the similarities the Conservatives have come up with. A start in that direction?

Badenoch's current Conservative project is explicitly about reducing the role of the state, emphasising individual responsibility, economic freedom, stronger borders and a much more expansive conception of free speech. Their October 2026 statement, The Right Way, says government should be “restrained where people are better placed to decide for themselves”, while being strong in areas where only the state can act.

There are some particularly American-looking elements :
A much stronger emphasis on free speech, including opposition to laws that the Conservatives argue criminalise offensive speech. Badenoch has explicitly presented America as an example in the broader Western argument over free expression.

Lower taxes, deregulation and free enterprise, with a philosophical emphasis on wealth creation rather than redistribution.

A harder-line approach to immigration, including proposals to leave the ECHR, repeal the Human Rights Act and restrict judicial review in immigration cases.

A rejection of the traditional One Nation/centrist Conservative approach. Badenoch has explicitly said that the party has been moving to the right and that Conservatives who disagree with that direction should “get out of the way”.

She has also argued that Britain should, like America, be much more explicit about putting national interests first.

It's worth looking at where these ideas have taken demodracy in the USA. The most striking recent figures come from three major emocracy/freedom measurement projects, and they all show deterioration in the US.

Economist Intelligence Unit

The EIU's 2025 Democracy Index, released in 2026, puts the United States at 34th, down from 28th the previous year.

Its score fell from 7.85 to 7.65, and the US remains classified as a “flawed democracy”, rather than a “full democracy”.

V-Dem — an even more dramatic finding

The Swedish-based Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) project measures democracy differently and produces some particularly striking numbers.

For the US:

Measure 2024/2025
Liberal Democracy Index- 0.750.57
Electoral Democracy Index - 0.840.74
Liberal Democracy rank - 51st / 179
Electoral Democracy rank - 46th / 179

V-Dem says the US experienced the largest one-year decline in its Liberal Democracy Index in its entire historical dataset, going back to 1789.

Its 2026 Democracy Report goes further, saying that America's Liberal Democracy Index fell 24% in one year, with the country's score returning to approximately its 1965 level.

The biggest deterioration was in things such as:

constraints on executive power
legislative oversight
judicial/constitutional constraints
freedom of expression
media environment
academic and cultural freedom
civil liberties.

That's a significant distinction. At precisely the point when some British Conservatives are drawing inspiration from aspects of the American conservative political model, international democracy measurements are documenting significant deterioration in some of the institutions and norms associated with that model.

I'm sure there is a counter argument to the this. I would be interested in any data that supports an opposite view.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 10:25:58

I find Ms Badenoch a bit of an enigma, in many ways.

Some of her previous speeches have been very well thought out and well presented.

Some have been utterly disastrous.

I think their conference and some of its elements, have absolutely been modelled on some thing the USA claim to do. Especially around freedom of speech. But as we all are only too aware, Trumps idea of freedom of speech is for all to agree with him.

Thank you for your well informed and interesting post, I have no specific data or stats to add, just my opinion that I think making the Conservative Party appear to be heading further right whilst rejecting Reform and Restore, will necessarily bring back those voters who’ve moved across to support these parties.

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 07-Oct-26 12:00:16

Thanks Cossy.

Cillafan Wed 07-Oct-26 12:14:51

I like Kemi, she'll be getting my vote in 29, I don't agree with every Conservative policy there has been (or probably will be), I have no doubt she'll be a strong, no-nonsense leader, I don't like Socialism, there's too much 'don't do as I do, do as I say' hypocrisy for my liking, I'm no fan of the EU either, two world wars weren't fought just for Germany to 'drive the Bus' ........smile

eazybee Wed 07-Oct-26 12:56:42

Is Badenoch trying to make Britain a “mini-USA”?

No.

Smileless2012 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:30:22

No, I don't think she is.

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:50:02

No I dont think so she is either, the concept of free speech was until about five minutes ago a broadly supported notion in this country.

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 15:51:58

In terms of Badenoch I find her interesting, I think she has improved, but I still sense elements of political immaturity.

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 07-Oct-26 16:21:10

Cillafan

I like Kemi, she'll be getting my vote in 29, I don't agree with every Conservative policy there has been (or probably will be), I have no doubt she'll be a strong, no-nonsense leader, I don't like Socialism, there's too much 'don't do as I do, do as I say' hypocrisy for my liking, I'm no fan of the EU either, two world wars weren't fought just for Germany to 'drive the Bus' ........smile

I suppose the question I'd ask is: how much of the Conservative vision actually works in your favour if you're not already relatively financially secure?

It's easy to dismiss social democracy as "socialism" or talk about individual responsibility when you have enough money, assets and security to absorb the consequences when things go wrong. But public services, workers' rights, social security, affordable housing, healthcare and education aren't abstract concepts: they're mechanisms that affect people's day-to-day security and opportunities.

You don't have to agree with every Conservative policy to recognise that a political programme can have very different consequences depending on your income, wealth and circumstances.

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 07-Oct-26 16:30:39

It's interesting to see that the moves towards a transactional society are welcomed by some.

A transactional society - the sort the Conservatives favour - is one where relationships and social obligations are increasingly understood in terms of exchange: “What do I get in return for what I give?”

Instead of seeing society as a community in which people have some responsibilities toward one another simply because they are members of it, a transactional outlook tends to emphasise individual contribution, entitlement and reciprocity.

For example:

Transactional: “I pay taxes, so I should get exactly what I personally paid for.”
Socially reciprocal: “I contribute through taxes, and the system supports people when they need it; over a lifetime, most of us will be both contributors and recipients in different ways.”

Transactional: “Why should my money pay for someone else's healthcare?”
Collective: “Healthcare is something we fund together because anyone can become ill, regardless of how much they have contributed at that particular moment.”

Is this really what posters want?

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 16:43:12

I think that's simplistic to be honest. For example the increase in benefits claimants amongst the young is a disaster for that cohort. I think those who ignore that are actually guilty of the 'I am alright Jack' school of thought.
My children aren't in that cohort so perhaps I should ignore the problems that we are creating for young people and just keep supporting the increase in claims.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 17:13:15

eazybee

^Is Badenoch trying to make Britain a “mini-USA”?^

No.

I agree, Conservatives have always been small State and I can’t see that Badenoch wants anything different from any other Conservative Leader.

MaizieD Wed 07-Oct-26 17:30:20

Galaxy

I think that's simplistic to be honest. For example the increase in benefits claimants amongst the young is a disaster for that cohort. I think those who ignore that are actually guilty of the 'I am alright Jack' school of thought.
My children aren't in that cohort so perhaps I should ignore the problems that we are creating for young people and just keep supporting the increase in claims.

I'm trying to work out who or what you are replying to, Galaxy.

What is it that is 'too simplistic'

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 17:34:01

The idea that society is transactional or socially reciprocal, the issues are much more complex than those definitions. I think that's just another way of saying some political viewpoints are good and some are bad.

foxie48 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:55:25

It's a further move away from "one nation Conservatism" and IMO some of the policies are designed to "buy" votes but instead of targeting people who wanted to buy their council homes (as Thatcher did) she is targeting middle class home owners who want to to pass on more of their wealth to their children (thus, fueling the divide between those who have home owning parents and those who don't). I don't think this is a good way of building a happy cohesive society and paying for these benefits by reducing social benefits to the poorest in our society is unacceptable but I'm not a Tory supporter!

Maremia Wed 07-Oct-26 18:03:54

I suspect that the rise of Reform has rattled KB.
And the defection of so many one time Tory 'Stars'.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 18:06:58

Galaxy

No I dont think so she is either, the concept of free speech was until about five minutes ago a broadly supported notion in this country.

We do support freedom of speech and what’s more, within our current laws, we have that.

Do I subscribe to the Trump method of freedom of speech? No.

Do I think our currents laws, particularly those governing online “speech” are a good thing? Yes!

Would I like to take laws around freedom of speech further, not really, nor would I like to see protesting stopped.

But along with freedom of speech, comes great responsibility.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 18:12:53

foxie48

It's a further move away from "one nation Conservatism" and IMO some of the policies are designed to "buy" votes but instead of targeting people who wanted to buy their council homes (as Thatcher did) she is targeting middle class home owners who want to to pass on more of their wealth to their children (thus, fueling the divide between those who have home owning parents and those who don't). I don't think this is a good way of building a happy cohesive society and paying for these benefits by reducing social benefits to the poorest in our society is unacceptable but I'm not a Tory supporter!

I don’t think divisions across our society, deliberately caused, as per Mr Farage, are good at all.

Only by us working together at all levels, across all parties, all communities, will we ever move forward.

How? Who knows!

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 18:15:49

Responsibility for what though? To not say things that offend people? Who gets to decide what is offensive. And if you are happy it being those in power, well that can turn around and bite you when the people in power change.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 18:27:31

Galaxy

I think that's simplistic to be honest. For example the increase in benefits claimants amongst the young is a disaster for that cohort. I think those who ignore that are actually guilty of the 'I am alright Jack' school of thought.
My children aren't in that cohort so perhaps I should ignore the problems that we are creating for young people and just keep supporting the increase in claims.

I do have three of our children just outside that cohort.

24,26,29.

I think having a huge percentage of these young people currently on benefits is terrible and unsustainable BUT I believe there are very variable reasons.

IMO, both COVID and generational “claimants” have a huge effect on this.

Interestingly our DS2 spent his college years and his 18th birthday in lockdown and was very affected, DD2, joined the DWP as a temp due to so many new claims to benefits being made. Son had a no “choice” but to manage his issues as he lives with two parents who simply tried everything to get him past this.

If AB can resolve both youth unemployment and homelessness he’ll win many points in my own book!

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 18:33:20

Galaxy

Responsibility for what though? To not say things that offend people? Who gets to decide what is offensive. And if you are happy it being those in power, well that can turn around and bite you when the people in power change.

No I don’t mean being offensive, or offending people at all, I can live with that!

I’m talking about inciting hatred online, thinking before you speak about something which might in turn, for some reason, allow people to think it’s ok to burn down a hotel or terrify a person different to themselves.

To be honest, I am not offended personally by very much directed at me personally, but a very close family member was targeted for a few months online by a group who thought it was amusing to accuse him of some quite awful things, then write anonymously to their places of work.

Yes, both the police and solicitors were involved, but at the time it was horrendous and our home address was shared online and other very personal things. That’s the kind of thing I mean.

DaisyAnneReturns Wed 07-Oct-26 18:43:32

Galaxy

The idea that society is transactional or socially reciprocal, the issues are much more complex than those definitions. I think that's just another way of saying some political viewpoints are good and some are bad.

And that's simplistic? How do you suggest we describe "For example the increase in benefits claimants amongst the young is a disaster for that cohort."?

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 18:47:00

DaisyAnneReturns

It's interesting to see that the moves towards a transactional society are welcomed by some.

A transactional society - the sort the Conservatives favour - is one where relationships and social obligations are increasingly understood in terms of exchange: “What do I get in return for what I give?”

Instead of seeing society as a community in which people have some responsibilities toward one another simply because they are members of it, a transactional outlook tends to emphasise individual contribution, entitlement and reciprocity.

For example:

Transactional: “I pay taxes, so I should get exactly what I personally paid for.”
Socially reciprocal: “I contribute through taxes, and the system supports people when they need it; over a lifetime, most of us will be both contributors and recipients in different ways.”

Transactional: “Why should my money pay for someone else's healthcare?”
Collective: “Healthcare is something we fund together because anyone can become ill, regardless of how much they have contributed at that particular moment.”

Is this really what posters want?

It’s definitely not what I want.

But then again I never was a WIIFM person, neither were my parents, who were staunch Tories, very hard working, decent people, very middle class. Yet loving, kind and generous.

We lived in some lovely houses and went to some lovely places.

I was very blessed.

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 18:52:40

I dont even know where I stand with the inciting hatred concept, because again someone has to make judgements about that. I am very wary of controls on speech and whilst not an absolutist , I am probably quite close to that.
I am guessing badenoch partly has in mind what happened to women in the gender debate when the legal process was used to silence women.
The idea of 'terrifying people different to theselves' was used in that debate to stop women talking about reality as it made some people feel 'unsafe'.

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 18:56:52

Actually many people will be with Badenoch regarding Inheritance Tax.
£500,000 in London and the South East ( over that and you have to pay it) isn’t a fabulous home by any means.Inheritance Tax was meant to stop people passing on great wealth to their descendants.
£500,000 is a small house or bungalow.