Gransnet forums

News & politics

Migrant abandons child and scrambles on to dinghy.

(55 Posts)
Sago Thu 24-Sept-26 19:25:39

Today’s news, this is so awfully sad.

Obviously we do not know the full story yet or the man’s relationship to the child.

The child is OK and was returned to shore.

The French are supposed to be policing this, with UK tax payers money.

How are the many millions we are handing over to France being spent?

Sago Thu 24-Sept-26 19:26:11

Sorry forgot the link!

www.aol.co.uk/articles/shocking-moment-migrant-abandons-child-155900000.html

pably15 Thu 24-Sept-26 19:58:39

I've just read about this..thankfully someone else got hold of the child.

eazybee Thu 24-Sept-26 19:59:37

Appalling.
I thought the child was a dummy at first.
And the man who abandoned him?
Welcomed into our country?

pably15 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:02:23

looks like every man for himself..disgraceful

MT62 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:15:29

They do it all the time. Two women & a child were left stranded in the water last week. She paddled back to shore.
My backside they care about their woman & children.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:26:39

Absolutely heartbreaking 💔

No decent human would abandon a child in the sea.

What are we (this and previous governments) letting into our country…

pably15 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:32:35

G G ...everyone and anyone, they're not trying to stop them

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 20:49:02

Apparently, they don’t leave the boats from Calais anymore, but drift along in shallow waters piling as many people into the boats, not caring who does and doesn’t make it into a boat or across the channel.

Actions of some of these AS appall me, but nowhere near as much as the traffickers.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:51:07

I am all for legal immigration, our NHS and care services wouldn’t run without it.

I am also aware that some of those arriving here are genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution and brutal regimes.

Realistically some arriving on our shores are wrong-uns

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 20:51:09

It’s just silly though to say the governments doing nothing.

Like it or not, the actual number arriving in this past 12 months is still some 40% less than same time last year.

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 20:54:33

GrannyGravy13

I am all for legal immigration, our NHS and care services wouldn’t run without it.

I am also aware that some of those arriving here are genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution and brutal regimes.

Realistically some arriving on our shores are wrong-uns

Absolutely, sadly I agree.

I also agree that the people arriving on boats like this are the cause of many issues, issues with housing them, issues with processing them.

These people though are not “illegals”, simply arriving here, registering for Asylum then waiting (within our laws) is not “illegal”.

I am not denying that there’s some who are not “good” people and I agree we do not want more criminals entering our country.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sept-26 20:56:36

Cossy

It’s just silly though to say the governments doing nothing.

Like it or not, the actual number arriving in this past 12 months is still some 40% less than same time last year.

I know that cossy

However, the traffickers have changed their launch sites, 780 arriving yesterday. The new routes are longer and far more perilous.

They (the traffickers) seem to be one step ahead 🤷‍♀️

Cossy Thu 24-Sept-26 21:35:35

Nasty bunch, the traffickers, shame they cannot put their good manipulative planning skills to better use.

M0nica Thu 24-Sept-26 22:20:40

1 child, over how many years and how many immigrants? The immigrants hardly make a habit of it. Here miscreants simply set houses on fire with children inside, a darn sight more than 1.

I suspect that it is the traffickers themselves behind most of the horrors.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 06:57:20

One migrant has died in the channel this week, I do not want to see anymore meet their fate in the sea.

Peacelilydilly Fri 25-Sept-26 06:59:24

1 child, over how many years and how many immigrants? The immigrants hardly make a habit of it

Wow what a strange thing to say and how do you know how many are left to drown are you on the beaches watching them. Women have died on the boats from unexplained deaths and you frequently see the men push woman and children aside to reach the boats themselves.

love0c Fri 25-Sept-26 07:12:22

Monica Monica, Monica, words fail me!

M0nica Fri 25-Sept-26 07:50:59

I abhor anything that is used to blacken a whole population of people on the basis of one incident.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Sept-26 08:01:00

Monica again I agree with you
Some posters must go searching the news every day for something negative to write about migrants.
Maybe they tick it off in their diary ‘Good day today eventually found two facts’
There are bad people in every country and of every colour.
There are English people killing and torturing children every day of the week, but let’s grab this one headline to get another point onboard.
No one knows the lives of others, and I totally agree that what happened was wrong, but why oh why do you have to find that one person to set your standards by and conclude ‘they are all like this’ It’s wrong, very wrong

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:08:48

Perhaps it’s because the British here far outnumber the migrants ergo we commit the most crimes?

Frightens me to hear these boat people migrants now outnumber the entire British army. I find that disturbing.

And I’ve lost faith in the system because in reality after asylum assessments fail, hardly any migrants get deported. The numbers are miniscule. We know that much.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:13:39

M0nica

I abhor anything that is used to blacken a whole population of people on the basis of one incident.

Well said.

Don’t think for one minute that a British man of a certain type would not behave in exactly the same way, given a similar situation. .

eazybee Fri 25-Sept-26 08:16:51

1 child, over how many years and how many immigrants? The immigrants hardly make a habit of it

An utterly shameful comment.
I recall you posting sometime ago words to the effect that you liked to take the opposing view to provoke comment.
Satisfied?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 08:17:48

More than one poster has pointed out that not all would be asylum seekers are unscrupulous baddies, myself included.

But hey ho, if it suits your agenda to paint those who have concerns about a child being abandoned in the sea, along with one fatality this week to bring up crimes of white people…

Sago Fri 25-Sept-26 08:32:10

M0nica

1 child, over how many years and how many immigrants? The immigrants hardly make a habit of it. Here miscreants simply set houses on fire with children inside, a darn sight more than 1.

I suspect that it is the traffickers themselves behind most of the horrors.

Oh so that’s OK then!

Astonishing comment.