sundowngirl
Basgetti - 'Whataboutery'!!! If that's the case we don't need any more do we??
It certainly is the case. Now whataboutery at all, simply fact.
No, we don’t. So safe routes where asylum seekers can be checked out are essential.
Today’s news, this is so awfully sad.
Obviously we do not know the full story yet or the man’s relationship to the child.
The child is OK and was returned to shore.
The French are supposed to be policing this, with UK tax payers money.
How are the many millions we are handing over to France being spent?
sundowngirl
Basgetti - 'Whataboutery'!!! If that's the case we don't need any more do we??
It certainly is the case. Now whataboutery at all, simply fact.
No, we don’t. So safe routes where asylum seekers can be checked out are essential.
None of my remarks were or were intended to be flippant.
I was just pointing out that it was just as callous for the First class passengers MALE and female to hog the lifeboats on the Titanic, where it was meant to be women and children first, disregarding the fact that many, if not most third class passengers were women and children and they were given little or no opportunity to access the lifeboats.
If you cannot see that what happened on the Titanic and what happened on that immigrant boat were one and the same thing, then I despair.
Basgetti - 'Whataboutery'!!! If that's the case we don't need any more do we??
Monica, you made a flippant,callous remark about the deliberate abandonment of a child in a perilous situation, and are apparently determined to defend it.
Poor, and quite pointless.
Oreo
Tbf we don’t know the exact circumstances do we? We don’t know if there was a relationship between the man and the child or he only left the child floating because the rescuers were there?
However we do know that women and children have been pushed out of the way and even trampled underfoot or pushed out of boats and drowned in the past by male immigrants.
Just as domestic violence against women and children is rife in the British population.
As we are all aware from regular news stories, British parents often mistreat their children, too. There are bad people of every ethnicity.
eazybee
^A beautifully organised way^?
And the fathers of those children just stood back and let it happen?
I know many were trapped below decks but I doubt that those who got on deck cast their children away into the water so they could escape.
Precisely. That is my point. There is more than one way to kill a cat, or a child in a life and death situation.
A beautifully organised way?
And the fathers of those children just stood back and let it happen?
I know many were trapped below decks but I doubt that those who got on deck cast their children away into the water so they could escape.
eazybee
It does not make it any better.
It was done in a beautifully organised way on the Titanic, which means it was done with thought, much worse than on a sinking migrant boat when people act in the moment when panicked.
It does not make it any better.
GrannyGravy13
*Monica*when the Titanic was sinking I understand it was women & children first in the lifeboats.
That was always the rule - and would have been obeyed in public, although I understand a disproportionate number of women and children travelling steerage on the Titanic drowned and quite a number of gentlemen travelling first class survived. As they say, there is more than one way of skinning cat and more than one way of not putting women and children first.
What happens in the face of official organisation and what happens in a totally panicked melee like an immigrant boat, is rather different, regardless of nationality.
Monicawhen the Titanic was sinking I understand it was women & children first in the lifeboats.
MT62
M0nica
I abhor anything that is used to blacken a whole population of people on the basis of one incident.
It’s not one incident though, is it?
Only one abandonment of a child that I know of. What makes you think a cross section of the British population placed in the same situation would behave any differently?
M0nica
I abhor anything that is used to blacken a whole population of people on the basis of one incident.
It’s not one incident though, is it?
dalrymple23
Are those men "decent human beings", Granny Gravy?
If you are referring to the bail condition men.
In my opinion neither a man with previous convictions (violence and drugs I believe) nor a man accused of raping a child and sexual assault are decent human beings
Are those men "decent human beings", Granny Gravy?
One crime is more far more serious than the other which is why the fact that the one charged with the far more serious crime has been bailed until 2028 has been discussed, while the perpetrator of the 'less serious one' is in prison Cossy.
That child might be safe but this trauma will be with him/her forever. And, yes, our countrymen are capable of appalling cruelty, but we know everything about them and they are our responsibility.
Some posters must go searching the news every day for something negative to write about migrants.
No , it is not necessary to search; it appears regularly on the news. Genuine concerns of residents are rising as faith in the power of the Law diminishes.
GrannyGravy13
Cossy I have just commented on that thread.
I think the comparison is between the bail conditions, one custodial and one free to roam the streets for 22 months.
That’s it, and that’s why people feel 😡
Cossy I have just commented on that thread.
I think the comparison is between the bail conditions, one custodial and one free to roam the streets for 22 months.
BlueBelle
Monica again I agree with you
Some posters must go searching the news every day for something negative to write about migrants.
Maybe they tick it off in their diary ‘Good day today eventually found two facts’
There are bad people in every country and of every colour.
There are English people killing and torturing children every day of the week, but let’s grab this one headline to get another point onboard.
No one knows the lives of others, and I totally agree that what happened was wrong, but why oh why do you have to find that one person to set your standards by and conclude ‘they are all like this’ It’s wrong, very wrong
I agree.
On another thread today is a post comparing Daniel Thomas (Tommo) with a migrant rapist.
Both have broken the law.
One crime is far more serious than the other.
Neither are “good” people.
There are good and bad people throughout the world, in every nation, if every colour, of every class, of every age, of every faith.
I’m saddened by the demonisation of entire races, it’s on here, it is in real life.
M0nica
1 child, over how many years and how many immigrants? The immigrants hardly make a habit of it. Here miscreants simply set houses on fire with children inside, a darn sight more than 1.
I suspect that it is the traffickers themselves behind most of the horrors.
Monica. A few months ago two women were knocked off a boat. Day after, it was reported two woman had drowned. What’s betting it was those two women?
That’s just the ones they manage to capture on film.
Also I'm sure not many if any NHS doctors or nurses came over on a small boat they would be recruited from their home countries I would think.
Unless you have cameras recording all the time we don't how many have abandoned children or family do we or pushed children and women out of the way but I've seen plenty of footage of this happening and the camera never lies does it.
Thankfully the child is safe and people were watching.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.