Gransnet forums

News & politics

Migrant abandons child and scrambles on to dinghy.

(56 Posts)
Sago Thu 24-Sept-26 19:25:39

Today’s news, this is so awfully sad.

Obviously we do not know the full story yet or the man’s relationship to the child.

The child is OK and was returned to shore.

The French are supposed to be policing this, with UK tax payers money.

How are the many millions we are handing over to France being spent?

Oreo Fri 25-Sept-26 08:37:09

Tbf we don’t know the exact circumstances do we? We don’t know if there was a relationship between the man and the child or he only left the child floating because the rescuers were there?
However we do know that women and children have been pushed out of the way and even trampled underfoot or pushed out of boats and drowned in the past by male immigrants.

M0nica Fri 25-Sept-26 10:43:29

eazybee

^1 child, over how many years and how many immigrants? The immigrants hardly make a habit of it^

An utterly shameful comment.
I recall you posting sometime ago words to the effect that you liked to take the opposing view to provoke comment.
Satisfied?

I stand by my words. How many immigrants have come over in small boats since they started, hundreds of thousands. How many incidents like this have occurred? One is too many, one person in hundreds of thousands. That is no reason to blacken the characters of those who have come over, probably from 20 or more different countries for one incident.

AGAA4 Fri 25-Sept-26 10:45:06

Agree with you MOnica

Meandrogrog Fri 25-Sept-26 10:57:13

GrannyGravy13

I am all for legal immigration, our NHS and care services wouldn’t run without it.

I am also aware that some of those arriving here are genuine asylum seekers fleeing persecution and brutal regimes.

Realistically some arriving on our shores are wrong-uns

I am not disagreeing with you but have heard that home grown newly qualified nurses are struggling to find jobs within the NHS.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 10:59:09

Nobody is blackening all arriving on boats Monica just questioning the mindset of a person abandoning a small child in the sea.

Shel1951 Fri 25-Sept-26 11:15:38

Thankfully the child is safe and people were watching.

Peacelilydilly Fri 25-Sept-26 11:30:53

Unless you have cameras recording all the time we don't how many have abandoned children or family do we or pushed children and women out of the way but I've seen plenty of footage of this happening and the camera never lies does it.

Peacelilydilly Fri 25-Sept-26 11:33:42

Also I'm sure not many if any NHS doctors or nurses came over on a small boat they would be recruited from their home countries I would think.

MT62 Fri 25-Sept-26 13:30:11

M0nica

1 child, over how many years and how many immigrants? The immigrants hardly make a habit of it. Here miscreants simply set houses on fire with children inside, a darn sight more than 1.

I suspect that it is the traffickers themselves behind most of the horrors.

Monica. A few months ago two women were knocked off a boat. Day after, it was reported two woman had drowned. What’s betting it was those two women?
That’s just the ones they manage to capture on film.

Cossy Fri 25-Sept-26 14:52:00

BlueBelle

Monica again I agree with you
Some posters must go searching the news every day for something negative to write about migrants.
Maybe they tick it off in their diary ‘Good day today eventually found two facts’
There are bad people in every country and of every colour.
There are English people killing and torturing children every day of the week, but let’s grab this one headline to get another point onboard.
No one knows the lives of others, and I totally agree that what happened was wrong, but why oh why do you have to find that one person to set your standards by and conclude ‘they are all like this’ It’s wrong, very wrong

I agree.

On another thread today is a post comparing Daniel Thomas (Tommo) with a migrant rapist.

Both have broken the law.
One crime is far more serious than the other.

Neither are “good” people.

There are good and bad people throughout the world, in every nation, if every colour, of every class, of every age, of every faith.

I’m saddened by the demonisation of entire races, it’s on here, it is in real life.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sept-26 15:13:20

Cossy I have just commented on that thread.

I think the comparison is between the bail conditions, one custodial and one free to roam the streets for 22 months.

Oreo Fri 25-Sept-26 18:37:03

GrannyGravy13

Cossy I have just commented on that thread.

I think the comparison is between the bail conditions, one custodial and one free to roam the streets for 22 months.

That’s it, and that’s why people feel 😡

eazybee Fri 25-Sept-26 19:06:58

Some posters must go searching the news every day for something negative to write about migrants.

No , it is not necessary to search; it appears regularly on the news. Genuine concerns of residents are rising as faith in the power of the Law diminishes.

saintpiran Fri 25-Sept-26 20:35:36

That child might be safe but this trauma will be with him/her forever. And, yes, our countrymen are capable of appalling cruelty, but we know everything about them and they are our responsibility.

Smileless2012 Sat 26-Sept-26 12:28:10

One crime is more far more serious than the other which is why the fact that the one charged with the far more serious crime has been bailed until 2028 has been discussed, while the perpetrator of the 'less serious one' is in prison Cossy.

dalrymple23 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:54:57

Are those men "decent human beings", Granny Gravy?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:59:38

dalrymple23

Are those men "decent human beings", Granny Gravy?

If you are referring to the bail condition men.

In my opinion neither a man with previous convictions (violence and drugs I believe) nor a man accused of raping a child and sexual assault are decent human beings

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 19:08:02

M0nica

I abhor anything that is used to blacken a whole population of people on the basis of one incident.

It’s not one incident though, is it?

M0nica Sun 27-Sept-26 16:55:52

MT62

M0nica

I abhor anything that is used to blacken a whole population of people on the basis of one incident.

It’s not one incident though, is it?

Only one abandonment of a child that I know of. What makes you think a cross section of the British population placed in the same situation would behave any differently?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Sept-26 17:01:52

Monicawhen the Titanic was sinking I understand it was women & children first in the lifeboats.

M0nica Mon 28-Sept-26 09:57:01

GrannyGravy13

*Monica*when the Titanic was sinking I understand it was women & children first in the lifeboats.

That was always the rule - and would have been obeyed in public, although I understand a disproportionate number of women and children travelling steerage on the Titanic drowned and quite a number of gentlemen travelling first class survived. As they say, there is more than one way of skinning cat and more than one way of not putting women and children first.

What happens in the face of official organisation and what happens in a totally panicked melee like an immigrant boat, is rather different, regardless of nationality.

eazybee Mon 28-Sept-26 14:24:42

It does not make it any better.

M0nica Mon 28-Sept-26 18:37:55

eazybee

It does not make it any better.

It was done in a beautifully organised way on the Titanic, which means it was done with thought, much worse than on a sinking migrant boat when people act in the moment when panicked.

eazybee Mon 28-Sept-26 18:52:26

A beautifully organised way?
And the fathers of those children just stood back and let it happen?
I know many were trapped below decks but I doubt that those who got on deck cast their children away into the water so they could escape.

M0nica Tue 29-Sept-26 08:50:22

eazybee

^A beautifully organised way^?
And the fathers of those children just stood back and let it happen?
I know many were trapped below decks but I doubt that those who got on deck cast their children away into the water so they could escape.

Precisely. That is my point. There is more than one way to kill a cat, or a child in a life and death situation.