Gransnet forums

House and home

Frying pan advice please

(57 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 14:16:55

I want to buy a large frying pan as a gift. I am still using my massive cast iron one from the 1970s which weighs a ton but I can fry, make omelettes, steam, put it in the oven etc with no problem. I am also used to heavy pans...

The person I'm buying for is just now aware of the non-stick coatings leeching into foods but is used to non-stick.

Some pans are £300 plus 😱

They have a busy family. If it could go in a dishwasher that would be a bonus.
They don't have induction now but will be moving probably next year...

Any suggestions that are at least (nearly) non-stick?
And durable...
And easy-care...
Up to (absolute maximum) £150 for a 28cm-ish size?

Thank you!

knspol Sat 10-Oct-26 10:21:29

I think pans might be something the cook in the family might be very particular about, I know my late DH was so I would be inclined to give a voucher to a cookware shop or specialist company rather than choosing yourself.

Greyduster Sat 10-Oct-26 10:47:59

I bought a Swedish ceramic omelette pan from an expensive cookware shop in Bakewell. It was supposed to be induction compatible but, unlike every other pan I have, it would only work on one ring and that ring is right at the back of the hob where you really don’t want to be frying things! I took it back and argued with them and they reimbursed me. I bought a Prestige nonstick scratch proof pan in its place and after thirteen years it’s still going strong.

Oreo Sat 10-Oct-26 10:54:13

Elusivebutterfly

I had no idea frying pans cost that much. I go to M&S or Sainsbury's if I need one and they are much cheaper.

Me too, and Dunelm.
I have frying pans which are more heavy duty for slower cooking and lighter ones for cooking pancakes or frying eggs.
NotSpaghetti is there a reason why it has to be so very expensive?

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Oct-26 13:51:49

No Oreo.
Mine was an "up to" budget - but my frying (and much else) pan is a le creuset which to replace would be over £200 - and I know how much good pans cost!

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Oct-26 13:54:29

I also know that the one I picked out originally (before looking at prices) 😬 was £300 plus...

Also. Once you get to 28 or 30 cms they go up a lot it seems.

Maybe most people ard OK with 26.
Mine is 28 and often a bit too small.

Oreo Sat 10-Oct-26 15:26:11

Mine is 28 too, but I have smaller pans for different uses.
Yes Le Crueset are expensive, I had one for years when first married along with the casserole pots.I ditched the frying pan about ten years ago as too heavy for me now.
My larger fry pan is amazing, from Dunelm but can’t remember the make.It’s heavy-ish and made of a black and white flecked material.Fairly non stick and you only need a drip or two of olive oil for cooking anything.