Gransnet forums

House and home

Frying pan advice please

(41 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 14:16:55

I want to buy a large frying pan as a gift. I am still using my massive cast iron one from the 1970s which weighs a ton but I can fry, make omelettes, steam, put it in the oven etc with no problem. I am also used to heavy pans...

The person I'm buying for is just now aware of the non-stick coatings leeching into foods but is used to non-stick.

Some pans are £300 plus 😱

They have a busy family. If it could go in a dishwasher that would be a bonus.
They don't have induction now but will be moving probably next year...

Any suggestions that are at least (nearly) non-stick?
And durable...
And easy-care...
Up to (absolute maximum) £150 for a 28cm-ish size?

Thank you!

Chulachuli Fri 09-Oct-26 16:41:05

Another vote for Lakeland One Pan though they aren’t full size. I have used Eaziglide Neverstick pans from John Lewis for years now and they are excellent. £60 - £65 depending on if you want a glass lid.

Boadicea Fri 09-Oct-26 16:32:28

Don't know whether you can still get pans with removeable handles, which is what I have (one is only ever used to make tarte tatin!).
(Mine are PTFE though.)

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 16:06:51

I am still reading and researching.
Thank you everyone!

I think the pan is likely to be worked very hard (!) so durability is important.
SO much info.
Will pop along to TK Maxx at the weekend.
Really grateful for the various suggestions!

Scribbles Fri 09-Oct-26 16:01:01

I have a couple of ceramic-coated frying pans from Procook which I love. Both are now close to 10 years old and the coating is as good as new. Both work on the induction hob.
My partner has a couple of their stainless steel frying pans which do occasionally suffer from sticking but are very easy to clean in the dishwasher or with an overnight soak. However, the very large one is awkwardly heavy when full of food.

icanhandthemback Fri 09-Oct-26 15:55:20

I've given up on non-stick and gone back to a good quality
stainless steel pan.

Corkie91 Fri 09-Oct-26 15:54:24

Try Curtis stone al kinds of pans that will go in oven on hob etc easy to clean and look after

Milest0ne Fri 09-Oct-26 15:37:28

Greyduster

Look at Scoville Neverstick pans. I bought one of their sauté pans this year and it’s really very good. Dishwasher safe - easy to clean. They do a range of frying pans, including ones with an oven safe handle.

I have got 2 of this brand. I have not had them very long , but the non- stick has not lasted very long. I have to put some baking parchment in the bottom of the pan { seen on a cookery programme}
I am thinking of getting a multi use pan from Lakeland.
Has anyone tried them?

Anrol Fri 09-Oct-26 15:33:19

Lecruset frying pans are excellent. I’ve got two and used for the last 15 years with out problems and they are induction friendly.

4allweknow Fri 09-Oct-26 14:40:40

Just look for ceramic coated or stainless steel pans. Loads on Amazon.

PiscesLady Fri 09-Oct-26 14:23:56

I can highly recommend this pan : Prestige Earth Friendly 28cm Non-Stick Induction Chef Pan & Lid – Plant-Based Coating, Toxic Free, Made in Italy, Green.
After a lot of research I bought this last May from Amazon. Currently priced at £52. It is not heavy, nothing sticks to it & it washes like a dream. I only wish I had bought it years ago!

Not sure if the link will work but here goes:
www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Earth-Friendly-Non-Stick-Induction/dp/B0FP2YJQHJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1R98WI9LAORUN&keywords=28cm%2Bgreen%2Bearth%2Bpan&sprefix=28cm%2Bgreen%2Bearth%2Bpan%2Caps%2C139&th=1&dib_tag=se&tag=gransnetforum-21&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5CSALp-LoU6yqoUlVjaAWB0DjUNptpXCZ9MkV-t9mTQ5XzjIpb2px-QQTU-6sa3WMW2u42rK-TO1jsoJjQHkZ6jjlqhDhA9hFrTODjoHYxPns4JV4MDVrC3zEYEf-TIy4xX1-yxAgOk8aaydC4TZrI6EozxBxoqT7yVBgalhejQJYIy8eC9ozBdGKhTejSSuUgqcjQl6MC5t4erRZB__XQwkS9d_fm3fRIaLhwMw8LtkvMTuwG-L3Ip1P-DFWacZVOaSwM5iyoy15xBtXsJRINnKllQU2e7gHLsWvhHVBb4.Eo42ckJC082_Rew1FK9eUAU3fxiqjv9-KYxjkkhhH3Y&qid=1791551861&sr=8-6

Liaise Fri 09-Oct-26 14:17:58

I have two Le Creuset non stick frying pans with lids. I use them on my induction hob and in the oven. I have had them 14 years. I don’t know how much they would cost these days.

EmilyHarburn Fri 09-Oct-26 14:15:04

INTIGNIS Paella Pan with Glass Lid 36cm Orange Ceramic Non Stick Induction Pan
Visit the INTIGNIS Store
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars (818) | Search this page
Amazon's Choice

This is a nice light weight pan with a lid however shen it arrives the knob on the lid has to be attached with the result that the lid can lo nonger go in the pan upside down for storage.

Aldom Fri 09-Oct-26 14:10:47

midgey

Try TKMaxx, they have really good bargains.

TK Max have a huge range of frying pans etc. etc. I bought all my new pans there following my recent house move. Mine are all for induction hobs. TK is so much better value than the regular shops and top quality.

Olivebranch Fri 09-Oct-26 14:05:05

Buy an enamelled one— safe- and can go in the oven. Mine also looks very swish. Recommended to hand wash but it goes in the dishwasher with no ill effects. Looks good for oven to table. Cost about £35. Make is Ninja.

Alwaysworrying Fri 09-Oct-26 14:03:35

I think if it were me and given all their different requirements l would give them a voucher either for a good quality kitchen shop like Lakeland or somewhere like John Lewis and then you can’t really go wrong. It’s a lot of money and a real pain to make a mistake

Norah Fri 09-Oct-26 14:00:47

Ceramic pans are non PTFE, I believe.

GrannyBettie Fri 09-Oct-26 13:39:49

Pan!

GrannyBettie Fri 09-Oct-26 13:39:40

Try the Lakeland One Plan. I have been very happy with this. Not sure if it can go in oven but I use on induction. Nothing sticks to it and it has fared better than my non stick pans. I can't remember how much it was but don't think it was over £150

Franbern Fri 09-Oct-26 08:38:45

DIfferent people, different results. I purchased Pro-cook saucepans and frying pans, when I was moving and getting ready for induction. Seven years ago. Love these, no probems at all with sticking, and with the frying pans, usually just wipe them over, after use with some kitchen paper and put back in drawer. They look exactly as they did when new. Am careful with storage.

V3ra Fri 09-Oct-26 07:53:03

www.tefal.co.uk/PTFE-All-about-our-non-stick-material

This is interesting about the differences between PTFA and PFOS.
Granted it's the Tefal website!

We had new Scoville pans earlier this year and I'm very happy with them.
I never use metal utensils or plastic though, I bought some nice wooden (teak I think) ones at the same time which are easy to care for with a drop of cooking oil.

My previous plastic/nylon non-stick fish-slice had blistered, so that's something else to consider.

Marmin Fri 09-Oct-26 07:19:22

I would have a look at Hexclad. Used by a lot of chefs and seems to meet your requirements. I use Le Creuset but as you probably know, they are heavy, if indestructible. Hexclad are OK for induction hobs I believe.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 07:16:35

Thanks Erica and others. I have been checking out your suggestions.

Erica23 Fri 09-Oct-26 07:13:41

What ever you buy don’t buy Pro cook. We bought a full set two years ago, they’ve rubbish ! The paint is peeling and they stick like crazy. They’ll be going in the bin soon.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 06:51:37

Thank you.
I don't want to buy Tefal as research suggests it starts to break down at 260°C (and if scratched). This is what they want to replace.

I have said I would replace their Tefal pan so really not buying one doesn't make a good gift Macadia!

Macaydia Fri 09-Oct-26 05:59:40

Dont choose one at all.