Gransnet forums

House and home

Frying pan advice please

(57 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Oct-26 14:16:55

I want to buy a large frying pan as a gift. I am still using my massive cast iron one from the 1970s which weighs a ton but I can fry, make omelettes, steam, put it in the oven etc with no problem. I am also used to heavy pans...

The person I'm buying for is just now aware of the non-stick coatings leeching into foods but is used to non-stick.

Some pans are £300 plus 😱

They have a busy family. If it could go in a dishwasher that would be a bonus.
They don't have induction now but will be moving probably next year...

Any suggestions that are at least (nearly) non-stick?
And durable...
And easy-care...
Up to (absolute maximum) £150 for a 28cm-ish size?

Thank you!

Alwaysworrying Fri 09-Oct-26 14:03:35

I think if it were me and given all their different requirements l would give them a voucher either for a good quality kitchen shop like Lakeland or somewhere like John Lewis and then you can’t really go wrong. It’s a lot of money and a real pain to make a mistake

Olivebranch Fri 09-Oct-26 14:05:05

Buy an enamelled one— safe- and can go in the oven. Mine also looks very swish. Recommended to hand wash but it goes in the dishwasher with no ill effects. Looks good for oven to table. Cost about £35. Make is Ninja.

Aldom Fri 09-Oct-26 14:10:47

midgey

Try TKMaxx, they have really good bargains.

TK Max have a huge range of frying pans etc. etc. I bought all my new pans there following my recent house move. Mine are all for induction hobs. TK is so much better value than the regular shops and top quality.

EmilyHarburn Fri 09-Oct-26 14:15:04

INTIGNIS Paella Pan with Glass Lid 36cm Orange Ceramic Non Stick Induction Pan
Visit the INTIGNIS Store
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars (818) | Search this page
Amazon's Choice

This is a nice light weight pan with a lid however shen it arrives the knob on the lid has to be attached with the result that the lid can lo nonger go in the pan upside down for storage.

Liaise Fri 09-Oct-26 14:17:58

I have two Le Creuset non stick frying pans with lids. I use them on my induction hob and in the oven. I have had them 14 years. I don’t know how much they would cost these days.

PiscesLady Fri 09-Oct-26 14:23:56

I can highly recommend this pan : Prestige Earth Friendly 28cm Non-Stick Induction Chef Pan & Lid – Plant-Based Coating, Toxic Free, Made in Italy, Green.
After a lot of research I bought this last May from Amazon. Currently priced at £52. It is not heavy, nothing sticks to it & it washes like a dream. I only wish I had bought it years ago!

Not sure if the link will work but here goes:
www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-Earth-Friendly-Non-Stick-Induction/dp/B0FP2YJQHJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1R98WI9LAORUN&keywords=28cm%2Bgreen%2Bearth%2Bpan&sprefix=28cm%2Bgreen%2Bearth%2Bpan%2Caps%2C139&th=1&dib_tag=se&tag=gransnetforum-21&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5CSALp-LoU6yqoUlVjaAWB0DjUNptpXCZ9MkV-t9mTQ5XzjIpb2px-QQTU-6sa3WMW2u42rK-TO1jsoJjQHkZ6jjlqhDhA9hFrTODjoHYxPns4JV4MDVrC3zEYEf-TIy4xX1-yxAgOk8aaydC4TZrI6EozxBxoqT7yVBgalhejQJYIy8eC9ozBdGKhTejSSuUgqcjQl6MC5t4erRZB__XQwkS9d_fm3fRIaLhwMw8LtkvMTuwG-L3Ip1P-DFWacZVOaSwM5iyoy15xBtXsJRINnKllQU2e7gHLsWvhHVBb4.Eo42ckJC082_Rew1FK9eUAU3fxiqjv9-KYxjkkhhH3Y&qid=1791551861&sr=8-6

4allweknow Fri 09-Oct-26 14:40:40

Just look for ceramic coated or stainless steel pans. Loads on Amazon.

Anrol Fri 09-Oct-26 15:33:19

Lecruset frying pans are excellent. I’ve got two and used for the last 15 years with out problems and they are induction friendly.

Milest0ne Fri 09-Oct-26 15:37:28

Greyduster

Look at Scoville Neverstick pans. I bought one of their sauté pans this year and it’s really very good. Dishwasher safe - easy to clean. They do a range of frying pans, including ones with an oven safe handle.

I have got 2 of this brand. I have not had them very long , but the non- stick has not lasted very long. I have to put some baking parchment in the bottom of the pan { seen on a cookery programme}
I am thinking of getting a multi use pan from Lakeland.
Has anyone tried them?

Corkie91 Fri 09-Oct-26 15:54:24

Try Curtis stone al kinds of pans that will go in oven on hob etc easy to clean and look after

icanhandthemback Fri 09-Oct-26 15:55:20

I've given up on non-stick and gone back to a good quality
stainless steel pan.

Scribbles Fri 09-Oct-26 16:01:01

I have a couple of ceramic-coated frying pans from Procook which I love. Both are now close to 10 years old and the coating is as good as new. Both work on the induction hob.
My partner has a couple of their stainless steel frying pans which do occasionally suffer from sticking but are very easy to clean in the dishwasher or with an overnight soak. However, the very large one is awkwardly heavy when full of food.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 16:06:51

I am still reading and researching.
Thank you everyone!

I think the pan is likely to be worked very hard (!) so durability is important.
SO much info.
Will pop along to TK Maxx at the weekend.
Really grateful for the various suggestions!

Boadicea Fri 09-Oct-26 16:32:28

Don't know whether you can still get pans with removeable handles, which is what I have (one is only ever used to make tarte tatin!).
(Mine are PTFE though.)

Chulachuli Fri 09-Oct-26 16:41:05

Another vote for Lakeland One Pan though they aren’t full size. I have used Eaziglide Neverstick pans from John Lewis for years now and they are excellent. £60 - £65 depending on if you want a glass lid.

spabbygirl Fri 09-Oct-26 17:03:10

de buyer do lovely ones, very popular in France and cheap, but you do have to season them & be committed to using them, they're not as non-stick as non stick

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-26 17:34:35

I think I may have to go the "layered" stainless steel way... rather than the ceramic coated ones- for durability reasons.

I like the look and marketing of the hexclad ones but some of the reviews are pretty poor.
Currently having a look at Zwilling, Demeyere, All-Clad and Made In as there are lots of good reviews of these. I wonder if anyone has any of these brands?

Some of these brands are out of my budget altogether!

I am a bit biased against Procook after a not very nice one some years ago. May be unfair.

I have Stellar 3 litre (ish) ordinary pans and like them - but my mother-in-law had a Stellar frying pan which I didn't like a lot and found a bit tricky...

Maybe I'm making too much of this and the "perfect" is the enemy of the "good"?

Erica23 Fri 09-Oct-26 17:38:52

Like everything thing else these day Pro cook were a lot better back in the day. Mine have been looked after, less than two years old and are a disgrace.
I’d take them back but I’ve lost the recite.

icanhandthemback Fri 09-Oct-26 19:27:58

Erica23

Like everything thing else these day Pro cook were a lot better back in the day. Mine have been looked after, less than two years old and are a disgrace.
I’d take them back but I’ve lost the recite.

Do you have your purchase on a bank or credit card statement? You don't need a receipt, you just have to have proof of purchase.

Desire Fri 09-Oct-26 19:40:44

Greenpan..good quality and decent prices

Mojack26 Fri 09-Oct-26 21:17:27

I got a fab Ninja non stick one and goes in dishwasher. I love it. Had it a few years now.

Mojack26 Fri 09-Oct-26 21:21:02

Got a fab Ninja one from Argos a fewyears ago,love it. Also goes in dishwasher and not a bit damage. Highly recommend

AnotherLiz Fri 09-Oct-26 22:31:06

I would highly recommend Lakeland. I bought two different size frying pans - Lakeland Tri-tanium Elite. I love them. Great non stick surface. So easy to clean. PTFE, PFAS and PFOA-free non-stick coating. I think the largest size they have in this type is 28cm
The 24cm was £31.99 when I bought it.

DamonGriffin Sat 10-Oct-26 08:06:45

For a busy family, I’d probably look at a 28cm ceramic-coated pan that works on induction, rather than going straight to stainless steel or cast iron. Carbon steel is another good option, but it needs seasoning and a bit more care.

The Ninja ZEROSTICK Ceramic Pro looks worth a look at around £65. It’s PTFE-free, induction-compatible, oven-safe and dishwasher-safe, which ticks a lot of your boxes. Just bear in mind that ceramic coatings can lose their non-stick performance over time, even with careful use. [Ninja ZEROSTICK Ceramic Pro](https://www.sharkninja.co.uk/ninja-zerostick-ceramic-pro-28-cm-frying-pan-black-cw30028UK.html)

If longevity matters more than effortless egg flipping, a good uncoated stainless steel pan could last much longer, but it takes some technique to stop food sticking. I’d personally choose the Ninja for someone used to non-stick, especially with a busy household and a £150 budget.

Sasta Sat 10-Oct-26 10:00:57

NotSpaghetti

...and ideally not as heavy as cast iron!!!

As it is to last a long time why don’t you ask which one they’d prefer within your budget, as it’s not a surprise anyway?