I was always a gas hob user but 14 years ago I was convinced by a kitchen designer to have an induction hob. It is great and I would recommend it to anyone. Very controllable, so easy to clean and pans don’t burn on the outside.
The only downside is that you need steel pans but they are now readily available.
Gransnet forums
House and home
Induction hob
(80 Posts)Do many of you have an Induction hob and do you like it.
My GD has just moved to a new home where one is installed.
They said that 3 of their friends have them and do not rate them highly.
I have a gas hob and had been considering changing it purely for the clean tidy look of an Induction.
My GD having used it is not thrilled, she says it is very slow compared to my gas one.
Any really happy users?
I always had gas for speedy response but got fed up of the cleaning . I now love my induction hob . So clean and sleek and so fast ! Just beware you cant have aluminium pans otherwise brilliant!
I’ve had an induction hob since they were first introduced and wouldn’t dream of having anything else. Can’t think of a single downside. I’ve had my present one for about nine years and it doesn’t scratch at all because they’re made of toughened glass. A good safety feature is if you should let something boil over it turns itself off.
I love my AEG had it 10 years .. check before you buy it though as some models need a separately wired socket & some dont! Heats up as quickly as gas & so easy to keep clean.
I have an induction hob, and must be the only one who doesn't like it.
The hob was fitted by an electrician when we had a new kitchen several years ago, but we aren't sure whether he fitted it correctly.
You can only have 2 pans boiling at the same time, when boiled you can turn on any others to heat up. Also, when the sun is in a certain direction you can hardly see the touchscreen to read the numbers.
I would change it tomorrow if I could.
I love mine. I had/have two 'complaints'. One is that it shrieks at me if I put anything other than a pan near the controls. This is obviously a safety thing and I just have to be a bit disciplined. The other was the time I had to stand with my finger on the control to turn it off from full on. My daughter (more tecchie than me) shared that if I press boost then plus that turns it off. It is a lovely piece of kit!
We've got a Beko induction hob and it's anything but slow. It reacts just as well as my sills gas hob. I love it.
I have a small induction hob which I absolutely love as it heats very quickly and is easy to control as it’s so responsive. It’s very easy to clean too. You obviously need cookware that is suitable for an induction hob otherwise it won’t work properly. I think also if you’re one of those cooks who’s used to lifting up a pan or wok from a gas ring and tossing the contents around you might find cooking on an induction hob difficult at first as the pan must stay in contact with the hob. As a compromise you could order a cheap portable single hob from Amazon and see if you like cooking on that before making any decisions to switch. An extra plug in hob is always very useful at Christmas time for re-heating something quickly.
Luv mine. It’s a neff. One thing is hey are contraindicated if you have a pacemaker. People,of our age might have one. So thought I’d mention it
Loved mine
Great low maintenance
Usually a couple of ‘power’ rings and I anyways found it great.
Moved and have expensive gas hob now ☹️
Get one! 😘
Until yesterday I would have been singing the praises of induction hops. Mine is middle of the road and is a Rangemaster The hob has gone again The cooker is about six or seven years old and for the second time it’s gone. The first time it task about six weeks to fix via Rangemaster themselves He tried to fix it first time but had to replace the whole top not a cheap job Just gone yesterday evening Guy said he will be round when in are area 🤞
I've got used to mine but would always prefer gas. Sadly, no gas in our village!
My 10 year old Bosch still looks like new and I wouldn't use a gas hob or anything other than a good induction hob now. fwiw I'm pacemaker dependent and use my hob daily without any issue, my consultant just told me not to lie on the hob!
After 38 years of gas hobs, really like it now. Very controllable and easy to clean.
My OH chose ours and I must admit that I was sceptical at first but I’m more than impressed! It is fabulous………remove the pan and it turns itself off!…….no wasted energy, no forgotten flames to cause a fire! We didn’t even have to buy new pans as our own were suitable for induction hobs.
Greyduster
I had a Neff hob fitted when we changed our kitchen and wouldn’t have anything else now. I had to ditch a lovely set of Stellar pans which were not compatible and buy new ones that were but that was the only hardship. It has a boost function that bring liquid to the boil faster than any kettle and - very important for me these days - if you remove a pan and forget to turn the ring off, it does it for you! It has a child safety lock and I have accidentally locked it a few times and had to Google how to unlock it again! Most people will never have to do this!
Me too. I keep all my kitchen instructions in a folder with plastic inserts.
So hobb sleeve, I’ve written on the plastic cover hold & press the P button 3secs, instead of having to route through the whole book.
I had a Neff hob fitted when we changed our kitchen and wouldn’t have anything else now. I had to ditch a lovely set of Stellar pans which were not compatible and buy new ones that were but that was the only hardship. It has a boost function that bring liquid to the boil faster than any kettle and - very important for me these days - if you remove a pan and forget to turn the ring off, it does it for you! It has a child safety lock and I have accidentally locked it a few times and had to Google how to unlock it again! Most people will never have to do this!
My daughter has one but I hate the b.thing. I love my gas top with 2 electric ovens underneath. Horses for courses and all that. Me, I wanna see a flame.
Isn't Gransnet great! Any question. So many helpful answers.
I love my induction hob. But when you put it on to boil do not turn your back on it as it boils very quickly but once turned down its instant. Have one with crosses not circles . Cross will take any size pan on each one so my milk pan or my preserving pan will work on any of the 4. If you have circles it will only take the size of pan the circle is.
To test your pans to see if they are suitable for an induction hob if a magnet sticks to the bottom it will work. If it doesn't you need to by new pans.
Easy to clean I just use a washing up water and sponge , dry with kitchen roll. Had one since 2019 looks like new.
I love my Neff twist & turn knob.
We had a gas hob & it was the Bain of my life cleaning it. I always think gas Hobbs look grubby no matter how much you clean them.
I do put paper towels under my pans to prevent scratches & mess,(make sure you have liquid in your pan) stops pan burning.
Five minutes tops to clean with soapy wet sponge & wipe with damp cloth, dry off with those paper towels.
Super quick too.
I have an induction hob and love it. It has a special button to boost each ring which can boil water instantly. Maybe your GD has t found it yet.
I’ve cooked on an induction hob for 20 years now and would never have anything else. My dd still has gas and prefers it but I think it’s smelly and messy and would never go back to it.
We love our Neff hob. It's really precise and fast and so easy to clean. But I dislike any glass-like surface which can so easily become accidentally scratched, and decided this time to buy some special cooking mats which keep the pan bottoms from actually touching the hob. Result is a pristine surface which always looks like new.
I have never cooked with gas.
I inherited a Bosch one when I moved into my last house. Apart from having to get only iron /steel pans, I found it fantastic. Loved it. Sadly, in this place I have a ceramic one which isn’t half as good.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

