Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Friend gave me a ticket to an event she could not go to. Do I pay her?

(43 Posts)
Pleasebenice Tue 22-Sept-26 10:07:51

I go out with a group of ladies quite often. They booked an event I didn’t fancy. Now one can’t go at short notice. She gave me her ticket. Do I pay her? Maybe half? It was not cheap but had I wanted to go I would have got a ticket.

Cabbie21 Tue 22-Sept-26 10:27:54

If you want to use it, it would be kind to offer her something towards it. But you said you didn’t fancy it earlier. Maybe pass it on to someone else who would enjoy it?

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 10:33:33

Offer, I’ll bet she says no.

AGAA4 Tue 22-Sept-26 10:34:17

If you plan to use the ticket you should offer to pay or as Cabbie said give it to someone else.

eddiecat78 Tue 22-Sept-26 10:36:06

Why did you accept it if you didn't want it?
Now you have accepted it of course you should offer to pay

Doodledog Tue 22-Sept-26 10:38:49

I'd pay if I wanted to use it, but would refuse it if I didn't. I don't think it's fair to take it and not pay, but neither would I pay to see something I didn't want to see.

poppysmum Tue 22-Sept-26 10:39:59

you could offer she will probably say no but a bunch of flowers and some chocs would not hurt

MT62 Tue 22-Sept-26 10:57:43

Yes definitely offer something

Pleasebenice Tue 22-Sept-26 10:58:38

For clarity, another friend would have been alone if I didn’t go. I enjoyed it but would not have chosen to go.

eazybee Tue 22-Sept-26 11:43:17

Definitely offer, and give her a bunch of flowers or similar if she refuses payment.

OldFrill Tue 22-Sept-26 11:50:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frenchgalinspain Tue 22-Sept-26 11:59:50

I would offer to pay for the ticket and if she declined, I would give her a lovely little gift ..

Doodledog Tue 22-Sept-26 12:00:30

Pleasebenice

For clarity, another friend would have been alone if I didn’t go. I enjoyed it but would not have chosen to go.

That’s different, I think. In that case, the one who dropped out should bear the cost.

Tenko Tue 22-Sept-26 12:45:49

I would offer to pay for the ticket . Infact I’m in a similar situation. Friends planned something I was a bit meh about and said no . However someone has dropped out and offered me her ticket which I’ll pay her for . It’s not my sort of thing but the other ladies are great fun and I enjoy their company.

Doodledog Tue 22-Sept-26 12:52:13

I think it depends on whether going is being done for your own benefit or as a favour to the friend who has been let down by the other one. In the former case I would pay, but in the latter I think it is up to the dropper out to take the financial hit, as it is she who has created the situation.

Labradora Tue 22-Sept-26 13:39:58

eazybee

Definitely offer, and give her a bunch of flowers or similar if she refuses payment.

Yup. That's what I'd do.

Polly7 Wed 23-Sept-26 14:06:36

If me 😊 I would offer to pay
If says no get a Thankyou gift as said
If really don't fancy it ask first if there's anyone else who may like to go

Bottom line I think it's if people are 'flush' or have had struggles with money that they automatically are reserved. Understandable and certainly not judgmental as Iv been in that boat for years, not now, but still hoard more than I should etc from when times were hard

Polly7 Wed 23-Sept-26 14:09:55

🤔 maybe it's just personality types No right ir wrong follow your gut. If it was my ticket and i couldnt go I'd be touched by a Thankyou gift, it's do what you would be done by 😊

Ray82 Wed 23-Sept-26 14:16:52

Totally agree with the suggestions.Offer to pay,if refused buy a little gift.

BlueBelle Wed 23-Sept-26 14:18:39

I paid for my friend to go to a show we both throughly enjoyed about a year ago, she said I ll pay for the next one ……still waiting 🤔

Romola Wed 23-Sept-26 14:27:20

I think it all depends on the circumstances. I was recently given two tickets to a semi-amateur production of a comic operetta. The people bought the tickets but then decided to go on holiday across that date. One of them has been very ill and I know they appreciated my support and hospitality during recovery.
I haven't offered to pay, but I'll invite them for a meal again.

Iamthewalrus Wed 23-Sept-26 14:46:09

I am part of a theatre group with seasons tickets and there is often a member who can’t make it to a performance. We will offer our ticket up and someone will bring a friend.
A thank you gift of a bottle of wine to the original ticket holder is acceptable. We would’t expect for the ticket itself.

monami Wed 23-Sept-26 15:10:11

if you didnt want to go, dont accept the ticket , its as simple as that

Momac55 Wed 23-Sept-26 15:42:45

I had a spa day booked for two and the other person couldn’t come so I asked a friend. She didn’t offer anything , we went for lunch in a pub first and not even an offer if buying me a drink. When we were leaving she asked me how much the car park was and I told her it was £12 , she offered to halve me , I told her no she didn’t need to . This particular person has always been ‘careful’ with money so I wasn’t surprised . All in al she had a lively spa day that cost me well over £100 and thought £6 towards car parking was a good offer. lol

LOUISA1523 Wed 23-Sept-26 16:16:13

I would not offer to pay anything...neither wpuld I ever expect payment ( or accept it) if I offered a ticket yo a friend....all of my friendship groups would ve the same....I would say thank you very much or no thanks.....I am just happy someone could use my tickets if I can't make it....I would never accept money from a friend ....I'm not flush...I'm not skint