Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Friend gave me a ticket to an event she could not go to. Do I pay her?

(44 Posts)
Pleasebenice Tue 22-Sept-26 10:07:51

I go out with a group of ladies quite often. They booked an event I didn’t fancy. Now one can’t go at short notice. She gave me her ticket. Do I pay her? Maybe half? It was not cheap but had I wanted to go I would have got a ticket.

Oreo Wed 23-Sept-26 16:34:08

I would have said no thanks to the offer of the ticket, but as you accepted it you should really have offered something for it.
It isn’t too late to do that now is it?

Fallingstar Wed 23-Sept-26 16:34:31

Offering money might not be an option, a bit awkward, but getting her a nice bunch of flowers or her favourite tipple will probs go down well.

PamelaJ1 Wed 23-Sept-26 17:02:13

I bought 3 tickets to Jesus Christ Superstar for next April. My mum and husband don’t want to go. I’m happy to treat 2 people to go with me. I just don’t want to waste them.
I don’t expect them to pay but perhaps they could drive and pay for the car park? I don’t expect or even care if they don’t do that. I just don’t want to waste them!

StoneofDestiny Wed 23-Sept-26 23:15:36

If it was me and I didn’t want to go I’d have said no. If I took the ticket I would have paid for it - why would someone pay for me?
I’m sure people will say no to money - I know I have in the same situation, but a decent human will make sure you have some recompense. A meal out, a few bottles of decent wine or a gift voucher for the amount.

crazyH Wed 23-Sept-26 23:46:04

I have seen tickets being offered on FB , at a discount, for several reasons.
If it’s something you don’t fancy anyway , just decline the offer. Maybe one of your other friends would like to go.

CarrotTop Thu 24-Sept-26 02:35:45

Did you tell her when she offered the ticket that you didn't want to go, or did she hold a metaphorical gun to your head to take it? Either way, in accepting the ticket you created a debt for yourself. Also, you did go (and enjoyed it), so it would be ill-mannered not to pay.

CarrotTop Thu 24-Sept-26 02:40:28

Sorry, I see now that the event hasn't yet happened. I still think that, in this situation, it's rude to take something someone else has paid for without making some kind of reimbursement. If she refuses money, get her a little treat (maybe ask her out for coffee and you pay the bill).

Warbler Thu 24-Sept-26 04:59:26

I've just been in a similar situation. A friend gave me a very expensive day out (Willow weaving a hare) that she was going on but due to very unfortunate circumstances she couldn't go. I couldn't have afforded to go but was thrilled to have the opportunity to do it. My offer to pay was refused and I donated the hare I made to her. It was a wrench as I had fallen in love with him, but later on in the year I will be cat sitting for her too, so it's swings and roundabouts and I was so glad of the opportunity to "open a door" on willow weaving and it was such a generous offer.

MawsRosie Thu 24-Sept-26 06:21:48

Pleasebenice

For clarity, another friend would have been alone if I didn’t go. I enjoyed it but would not have chosen to go.

It sounds as if OP has gone?

If you wouldn’t have chosen/didn’t want to go, you should have declined the ticket IMO, but if you went and enjoyed it you should have offered.
As others have said, a nice bunch of flowers now/bottle of wine/offer of a lunch or at least something would be the way forward now.

Allsorts Thu 24-Sept-26 07:54:34

I presume the person has gone, she should have declined, unless she paid or sorted taxi and drinks or similar it is unfortunately very tight.

SpinDriftCoastal Thu 24-Sept-26 09:28:51

eazybee

Definitely offer, and give her a bunch of flowers or similar if she refuses payment.

This.

dragonfly46 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:43:17

I always offer.
If it was something I didn't fancy I wouldn't have taken the ticket.

AuntieE Thu 24-Sept-26 11:00:35

As you did n ot refuse her offer of the ticket, saying either that the event was not really your thing, or mendaciously that you had a prior engagement that day, yes, you should at least offer to pay for the ticket.

If you do so, you can then turn it over to someone else, or hand it in to the box office saying you have been prevented from attending.

JenniferEccles Thu 24-Sept-26 11:36:07

As others have said as you took the ticket I think you should offer to pay at least something towards it.

If I knew it didn’t appeal to me I wouldn’t have taken it but I would have suggested my friend offer it to somebody else who may enjoy the outing!

DamaskRose Thu 24-Sept-26 12:43:22

BlueBelle

I paid for my friend to go to a show we both throughly enjoyed about a year ago, she said I ll pay for the next one ……still waiting 🤔

I met a friend twice a year, I paid in spring and she paid in autumn but she always said she paid last time! It became a joke and I’d gladly pay every time if she was still with us …

StTrinians Thu 24-Sept-26 16:46:06

The different responses are interesting. First time this happened it was a hugely expensive ticket. (Opera at Glyndeboune no less.) Something I would never have booked, not in a million years. Not an opera fan, but agreed to drive my friend. I could not have afforded to pay then, and said friend said she didn't expect me to, and said "don't ask!" When I wondered how much it cost. I think her friend had paid for it. 2nd time, different friend was let down by anotger friend, and this time it was presented as a gift, as was so .last minute... Another very expensive seat (ballet). I did offer to pay, but again it was declined.

Esmay Thu 24-Sept-26 16:52:32

Definitely offer to pay the full amount and if she refuses buy her a gift.
There's nothing worse than looking cheap.

StTrinians Thu 24-Sept-26 20:00:24

"Buy a gift." Good idea. Wish I had thought of that. I will try that, if there is ever a next time. (I rather hope not, didn't really enjoy the opera, felt like an imposter with guilt etc about the ballet... ) There is no such thing as a free lunch. Don't want to "look cheap" (!!) ... I did try! But... both times they refused. Gift is a good compromise, and idea.