Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

New grandchild & feeling guilty

(137 Posts)
ASHANTY Tue 29-Sept-26 21:07:52

My DS & DIL live over 250 miles away so I don’t get to see them as much as I’d like to. Their son (my GS) is 17 months old and their second baby was due to arrive September 24th, so they asked my husband and I to drive down to help out with GS before the birth & during labour etc (as they have no other family nearby).
We were asked to travel down 2 weeks before due date, as DIL needed support when DS was working, we were so happy to do this.
However, baby didn’t arrive when expected and my husband wanted to return home at the end of the 2 weeks by train, which left me to help out with GS & new baby on my own when it arrived. Granddaughter arrived yesterday 4 days late.
My DS & DIL want me to stay until the end of the week to help with GS while they adjust to having 2 children under 2.
My husband is making me feel guilty for accepting to stay as I have our car and he says he misses me. He also feels that DS & DIL made the decision to have 2 children close in age so can’t expect me to stay until they’re ready to manage on their own.
As a paternal GP I feel privileged that my DS & DIL want me to help out so much, but also feel guilty that I’m neglecting my husband & daughter at home, as well as my elderly parents who live near to me.
Am I being unrealistic to stay?

BlessedArt Sat 03-Oct-26 11:47:58

Your habitual responses to my comments say otherwise, but I digress…

Happy Saturday to you and the OP! Hoping everyone is enjoying time spent with loved ones flowers

Esmay Sat 03-Oct-26 17:04:03

We don't know the ethnicity /background of the OP .
I have an Asian and an African friend with this name.
I can't imagine either friend telling her husband to stuff it .
Let's be polite ladies.

Purplepixie Sun 04-Oct-26 06:25:10

I hope the OP stayed. I’ve done things in the past to appease a husband. He is the ex husband now and I kick myself for ever listening to him in the past. Your children have asked for help and hopefully you have been there for them.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-26 08:10:31

...we know she has "been there for them"!

Juneandarchie1 Sun 04-Oct-26 14:21:57

Stay.
Your husband chose to leave so it is your entitlement to choose to stay if that’s what you want to do.
It’s like he’s saying it’s alright for me to do want I want, but not alright for you to.
He needs to grow up

ASHANTY Wed 07-Oct-26 08:22:29

Thank you for all of your responses, albeit some are a little argumentative.
I stayed for another week, and enjoyed every second of it. I spent so much time with my toddler grandson that I’ll remember those precious moments forever. My new granddaughter is precious and meeting her within 24 hours is something I’ll treasure.
My DS & DIL had originally asked me & my DH to book into an Airbnb before the birth (which we did & actually enjoyed) but were desperate for me to stay with them once my GD was born. This worked out well for all of us. They both realised they needed my help & it really brought us much closer as a family.
My DH & my DD at home finally accepted that I would be staying longer than expected, despite complaining. The lack of a car for my husband was an issue, as we live in a fairly remote area, but he dealt with it.
In hindsight, my DH realised that he was being a bit selfish, realising he didn’t even manage to meet our GD. On my return home he was super supportive. We’re going back to see our family in a few weeks, where he’ll get the chance to meet his GD.

Smileless2012 Wed 07-Oct-26 08:55:28

Thanks for the update ASHANTY.

It's good to know that you've had such a lovely time and that your DH will be meeting his GD in a few weeks.

a bit selfish is a much fairer description of your DH's reaction to you staying on. I hope the offensive and judgemental comments about him made on this thread haven't upset you.

Congratulations again smile.

BlessedArt Wed 07-Oct-26 12:18:51

So very glad to hear you stayed, and that the minimising and questioning of your feelings by some didn’t upset you. As women we are often second guessed about our feelings and perceptions in ways that men seldom are.

Even happier your husband realized he was wrong and is now very supportive of your time with your family. You followed your heart, and this benefitted everyone. A little sacrifice for family is a normal thing and how wonderful it is for him to realize this.

I remember your thread about the AirBnb as well, so I am double happy that even this arrangement worked out well. With you transitioning to the house, it was probably best only you stayed in the home when your DIL was freshly released from the hospital anyway. Now grandpa gets to see his beautiful new grandbaby with mum more settled post birth. I am sure your son and DIL are very grateful for what you did for them. It’s a precious time for all of you. May these last few weeks continue to bind your family tightly together. Wishing your family good health and unity always flowers.

eazybee Wed 07-Oct-26 14:50:39

What a pleasing outcome.

Smileless2012 Wed 07-Oct-26 15:44:23

And isn't it nice when the OP returns to let us know that all is well eazybee smile.

JenniRen Wed 07-Oct-26 18:20:58

Thank you for updating us ASHANTY and I'm glad all worked out well in the end.

Enjoy your next visit.