Gransnet forums

Gardening

What to do with this bench?

(36 Posts)
madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 11:06:19

Hi there

At 56 years old, I have finally achieved enthusiasm for gardening, although it will probably take the same amount of years for my horticultural know how to catch up ...

I want to grow some container veg on my south-facing patio. The only problem I have is that it is currently home to a large picnic table/bench. It is extremely uncomfortable to sit on now, even with cushions, but my father-in-law made it so getting rid of it may not be easy ...

I thought about incorporating it within my veg-growing plans (putting containers on it etc)but am not sure about the practicalities of this.

I am attaching a photo of the bench and would appreciate any ideas gransnet gardeners may have.

MT62 Sun 20-Sept-26 11:13:47

Put the pots, trays on feet as the bench may end up rotting.
Or if are handy you could adapt the table into one large planter.
You would have to use a membrane inside to hold the soil so it doesn’t rot. Remember to put drainage holes in the membrane if it’s not drainable fabric.

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Sept-26 11:24:28

Could you be honest? Say you are not comfortable on it even with cushions and could he please remove the seats so that then you can use your plastic chairs with it?
It's obvious been made with love.
He may be happy to do this.

What exactly makes it uncomfortable? Height, seat width?...

madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 11:36:14

It has no back support and you can't sit on it unless you "swing your leg over". This is not practical for my 80 year old mother and mother in law in particular when they regularly come to visit so we end up using a separate patio set anyway.

It's also rather large for just the two of us and we cover it up throughout the winter.

It has indeed been made with love but some years ago now. Regretfully, it is no longer suitable for its intended purpose which is why I would like to consider a change of use.

madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 11:37:45

MT62

Put the pots, trays on feet as the bench may end up rotting.
Or if are handy you could adapt the table into one large planter.
You would have to use a membrane inside to hold the soil so it doesn’t rot. Remember to put drainage holes in the membrane if it’s not drainable fabric.

The suggestion of containers on feet is very helpful as I had considered whether it may rot.

Graphite Sun 20-Sept-26 11:41:48

Lots of idea on Pinterest to adapt a picnic bench.

Some use them as planters but you would need trays under to stop rot.

Best ideas I've seen are turning them into games tables for young children by painting checkerboard and tic-tac-toe grids or generally something more colourful than dull brown.

If FiL still has his carpentry skills, you could ask him to remove and repurpose the seats into a tiered plant stand. Then you would have a table that can hold a large plastic compost tray for potting up.

Norah Sun 20-Sept-26 11:55:35

Perhaps have one bench removed, use chair on that side.

I'd consider sanding, staining out door green. Painting a picture.

V3ra Sun 20-Sept-26 11:55:58

I often have a couple of large pots of cherry tomatoes on my patio table, it keeps them out of the dog's reach so he can't wee on them 🙄
I actually buy them ready-planted, as a hanging basket, from my local garden centre and sit them on a big saucer on the table top.

I've also got strawberries in pots, and herbs such as chives.

I've also done French beans and peas in a big pot, with a support frame for them to grow up.
You could stand one on the patio at either end of the table.

Another idea would be to put some troughs, standing in a long tray, along the benches.
You could have some small bedding plants or bulbs, eg crocuses, in these.

If you oil the wood it will help to protect it.

Have a good look round your local garden centre and see what they have, it will help you decide.

Have fun!

Norah Sun 20-Sept-26 11:56:54

Exterior stain (not out door)

Oreo Sun 20-Sept-26 13:29:54

V3ra

I often have a couple of large pots of cherry tomatoes on my patio table, it keeps them out of the dog's reach so he can't wee on them 🙄
I actually buy them ready-planted, as a hanging basket, from my local garden centre and sit them on a big saucer on the table top.

I've also got strawberries in pots, and herbs such as chives.

I've also done French beans and peas in a big pot, with a support frame for them to grow up.
You could stand one on the patio at either end of the table.

Another idea would be to put some troughs, standing in a long tray, along the benches.
You could have some small bedding plants or bulbs, eg crocuses, in these.

If you oil the wood it will help to protect it.

Have a good look round your local garden centre and see what they have, it will help you decide.

Have fun!

Great ideas!

madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 14:05:12

Norah

Exterior stain (not out door)

These are the sort of suggestions I was thinking about. I don't suppose you could post a picture of what your set up looks like?

madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 14:06:04

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look at Pinterest too.

CarrotTop Sun 20-Sept-26 14:57:45

I'd turn it into a show bench, with flowers and decorative vegetables in pots. Colourful annuals (you can't go wrong with traditional petunias which flower all summer), little pots of lettuce or Ornamental salad leaves; strawberries; perhaps an alpine trough or even an auricula "theatre". Put raised feet under a large growbag tray and arrange the pots on that, to slow down rotting (it will rot if you leave anything damp on wood for any length of time). Or, as Norah suggested, turn the bench into a decorative item by painting (and sealing) it. Wish I had it in my garden!

Norah Sun 20-Sept-26 15:27:59

Pictures

M0nica Sun 20-Sept-26 16:42:44

Is there a charity, school care home etc who would be delighted to have it. That way you could dispose of it with honour.

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Sept-26 16:45:46

Is he likely to visit?
If so don't do anything to the table without discussion.

I'd talk to him about the issues you ard facing (rather too big now, can't use the benches easily, need a seat with a back)... he may say to give it away (or back to him).
I think this would be the kindest solution.
...and he may like to make you a smaller table!

Margs Sun 20-Sept-26 18:17:36

Might it not 'accidentally-on-purpose' catch fire?

madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 18:37:02

Thank you all so much for your continuing suggestions. I knew this was the right place to come!

If possible, we'd like to keep it although we have three daughters between us (second marriage) so passing it on to a new home within the family may be a possibility.

I do like the idea though of changing its use. A symbolic adaptation rather than a discard!

I think Father-in-law would be fine with us tinkering with it. He finds it uncomfortable to sit on himself...

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Sept-26 19:33:26

Might he enjoy being part of the tinkering?

Rocketstop2 Mon 21-Sept-26 13:47:44

I wouldn't put veg on it but I would put trailing plants on it and smaller trailing plants on the seat parts next spring, it would make a lovely feature and the shade it would create underneath would be perfect for sheltering wildlife in the summer. As others have said though, either seal it to protect it or have your pots on legs or similar.

Pleasebenice Mon 21-Sept-26 13:53:02

Just get rid of it. You have enjoyed good use and there may be someone out there who would love it.
Would he like that idea?Made with love and passed on to share the love.

4allweknow Mon 21-Sept-26 14:03:08

Take it you don't want to ask Father in Law to alter the unit. Agree, yes the style is for young, more able folk. Looks like it could be made into planters. Do you have a Men's Shed near you? Worth a visit, with photo, as the two near me are usually very helpful and willing to take on projects for a donation. Perhaps the seating can be removed and standard outdoor chairs used.

25Avalon Mon 21-Sept-26 14:09:36

Have you actually asked fil? It seems a shame you are not really using it and he may be more than happy for it to be passed on to other members of the family where it will be used. (If they want it that is, of course)

Iamthewalrus Mon 21-Sept-26 14:49:57

Perhaps see if you could remove the seating portion and use those in your flower beds to raise some plants up higher in the back and then use the table portion as a potting bench? It’s a beautiful set. I know what you mean about holding on to things for sentimental value but if you do decide to keep it whole perhaps someone else would like to have it in their yard?

barbaraellen Mon 21-Sept-26 15:02:39

Whatever you decide to do . I would be inclined to paint it in a colour of your choice to brighten up the end result. I purchased a bench cushion from Dunelm which made quite a difference to the comfort of bench chair. The cushion is quite thick with ties.