Gransnet forums

Gardening

What to do with this bench?

(37 Posts)
madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 11:06:19

Hi there

At 56 years old, I have finally achieved enthusiasm for gardening, although it will probably take the same amount of years for my horticultural know how to catch up ...

I want to grow some container veg on my south-facing patio. The only problem I have is that it is currently home to a large picnic table/bench. It is extremely uncomfortable to sit on now, even with cushions, but my father-in-law made it so getting rid of it may not be easy ...

I thought about incorporating it within my veg-growing plans (putting containers on it etc)but am not sure about the practicalities of this.

I am attaching a photo of the bench and would appreciate any ideas gransnet gardeners may have.

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Sept-26 12:53:34

madamehooch I think this is such a great solution.
Everyone happy and years of more enjoyment!

win/win

🪴🌱🌿☘️🏵🌵🌾

madamehooch Sun 27-Sept-26 12:50:11

An update for everyone kind enough to post their suggestions.

I had a nice chat in person with my father in law this morning. He has no issues with me readapting the bench. I'm going to take it apart and then he's going to help me build some planters with the timber. It will be a lovely project for us to do together.

Thank you all once again.

NannaFirework Tue 22-Sept-26 09:57:39

Hope you don’t object - I asked Ai

David49 Tue 22-Sept-26 09:26:35

I had 2 picnic benches they were in the way I ended up donating them.
For the OP use it as a plant stand with trays under each pot you could make a fantastic center piece for your garden with pot plants.

sazz1 Tue 22-Sept-26 09:16:33

I'd sell it as it looks in vgc. Don't bother telling father -in-law.

JPB123 Mon 21-Sept-26 20:45:51

Give it away .Facebook market place or put ad in free paper.

Oldnproud Mon 21-Sept-26 18:32:15

Im sorry if this is an insensitive question, or if I have missed the answer, but is your father-in- law still around and likely to know what has been done with the bench? If not, I would do what I wanted in my own garden. If any other family were unhappy about that, I would offer them the bench.

Im ruthless in my own garden - if something doesn't work for me, it goes. Mind you, I am the only one who does any work out there, which makes a big difference as far as I am concerned.

Trisha99 Mon 21-Sept-26 16:37:54

Margs

Might it not 'accidentally-on-purpose' catch fire?

My thoughts too! A stray firework on Nov 5th maybe?

Molly10 Mon 21-Sept-26 16:34:59

Hi Madamehooch

Firstly what beautiful craftmanship and you have kept it in great condition from what I can see. Well done to your father in law.

I understand your concerns re comfort and getting in and out from the table is not conducive with aging. I'm glad to hear you would like to keep it which is great.

It's hard to tell from the picture but if it is easy to dismantle the seating section I would use the seating for perching and resting somewhere else in the garden eg under a window with a wall behind to support. Gardening can be tiring and sometimes you need just a little rest for 5 mins as you go. This may need a little joinery work but I'm sure there will be someone in your family who could assist. If there are two benches you could use them in different areas of the garden. Maybe one in a shaded area.

I love the sunflower design an earlier poster put up. Unless you or a family member are artistic that could be difficult.

A potting table is a good idea or maybe half of the table with a minimum of work.

Please post a pic when you have redone.

Silvertwigs Mon 21-Sept-26 16:20:41

Gardeners pearl cherry toms all hang down from pots or grow bags will suit the table famously!

grandMattie Mon 21-Sept-26 16:19:45

Cut off the seats, keep the table as such for outdoor use. Surround it with your pots.
Or, give it away and have LOTS of space!

barbaraellen Mon 21-Sept-26 15:02:39

Whatever you decide to do . I would be inclined to paint it in a colour of your choice to brighten up the end result. I purchased a bench cushion from Dunelm which made quite a difference to the comfort of bench chair. The cushion is quite thick with ties.

Iamthewalrus Mon 21-Sept-26 14:49:57

Perhaps see if you could remove the seating portion and use those in your flower beds to raise some plants up higher in the back and then use the table portion as a potting bench? It’s a beautiful set. I know what you mean about holding on to things for sentimental value but if you do decide to keep it whole perhaps someone else would like to have it in their yard?

25Avalon Mon 21-Sept-26 14:09:36

Have you actually asked fil? It seems a shame you are not really using it and he may be more than happy for it to be passed on to other members of the family where it will be used. (If they want it that is, of course)

4allweknow Mon 21-Sept-26 14:03:08

Take it you don't want to ask Father in Law to alter the unit. Agree, yes the style is for young, more able folk. Looks like it could be made into planters. Do you have a Men's Shed near you? Worth a visit, with photo, as the two near me are usually very helpful and willing to take on projects for a donation. Perhaps the seating can be removed and standard outdoor chairs used.

Pleasebenice Mon 21-Sept-26 13:53:02

Just get rid of it. You have enjoyed good use and there may be someone out there who would love it.
Would he like that idea?Made with love and passed on to share the love.

Rocketstop2 Mon 21-Sept-26 13:47:44

I wouldn't put veg on it but I would put trailing plants on it and smaller trailing plants on the seat parts next spring, it would make a lovely feature and the shade it would create underneath would be perfect for sheltering wildlife in the summer. As others have said though, either seal it to protect it or have your pots on legs or similar.

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Sept-26 19:33:26

Might he enjoy being part of the tinkering?

madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 18:37:02

Thank you all so much for your continuing suggestions. I knew this was the right place to come!

If possible, we'd like to keep it although we have three daughters between us (second marriage) so passing it on to a new home within the family may be a possibility.

I do like the idea though of changing its use. A symbolic adaptation rather than a discard!

I think Father-in-law would be fine with us tinkering with it. He finds it uncomfortable to sit on himself...

Margs Sun 20-Sept-26 18:17:36

Might it not 'accidentally-on-purpose' catch fire?

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Sept-26 16:45:46

Is he likely to visit?
If so don't do anything to the table without discussion.

I'd talk to him about the issues you ard facing (rather too big now, can't use the benches easily, need a seat with a back)... he may say to give it away (or back to him).
I think this would be the kindest solution.
...and he may like to make you a smaller table!

M0nica Sun 20-Sept-26 16:42:44

Is there a charity, school care home etc who would be delighted to have it. That way you could dispose of it with honour.

Norah Sun 20-Sept-26 15:27:59

Pictures

CarrotTop Sun 20-Sept-26 14:57:45

I'd turn it into a show bench, with flowers and decorative vegetables in pots. Colourful annuals (you can't go wrong with traditional petunias which flower all summer), little pots of lettuce or Ornamental salad leaves; strawberries; perhaps an alpine trough or even an auricula "theatre". Put raised feet under a large growbag tray and arrange the pots on that, to slow down rotting (it will rot if you leave anything damp on wood for any length of time). Or, as Norah suggested, turn the bench into a decorative item by painting (and sealing) it. Wish I had it in my garden!

madamehooch Sun 20-Sept-26 14:06:04

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look at Pinterest too.