Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Mum's 90th birthday bash coming up

(61 Posts)
DogWhisperer Thu 01-Oct-26 22:07:33

Mum and Dad used to take the kids go-karting

Mum is 90 on 6 October. She's not really up for big parties any more, she's in a nursing home, moderately demented and very deaf, and TBH it's all but impossible to get a conversation going with her these days. But she loves looking at old photos, so as my birthday treat for her I've gathered together a collection of old photos, starting with when she and my dad met and got married, then me and my brother and sister when we were growing up, then the three of us meeting our partners, getting married and having children (Mum's grandchildren). My brother and sister will be around and they will probably enjoy the photos too.

But here's the thing. The grandchildren. Five in total, two of whom (ours) have been estranged for the last six years. Mum knows nothing about the estrangement and would find it completely incomprehensible, so if they are not there and she asks about them I'll just say they had other commitments and they are sorry they couldn't make it.

Mum (and Dad when he was alive) were the best grandparents children could want. They went to stay with them most summers and did lots of fun things with them like going to the beach, going to the zoo, riding on steam trains, riding on go-karts, the whole works. As far as I know, since the estrangement neither of the kids has bothered visiting Mum at her nursing home, or sending birthday or Christmas cards or anything like that.

So will they show their faces for the 90th birthday party? They probably know about it because they are in contact with other family members who are going. My guess is they will not show, either because they don't want to associate with their toxic parents (us), or they are too embarrassed about what they have done, or maybe they are just too brain dead to care that it's their Grandma's 90th and they may never see her again.

But in the unlikely event that they do show up, does anyone have any advice? I guess the important thing is it's Mum's special day, we mustn't spoil it for her, and we all have to smile and be civil to each other at least until we get out of the door.

Flippin2 Thu 01-Oct-26 22:25:57

Wow..brain dead,no wonder they're estranged

MT62 Thu 01-Oct-26 22:38:40

Oh what a shame. Would she notice if they don’t turn up? I take it the rest of the family know that they are estranged.
Couldn’t they just rub along for one day?
The day is all about your mum’s special birthday after all.

Chardy Thu 01-Oct-26 22:41:08

If they show, treat exactly as in the past, as if the estrangement never happened. There's no point

TanPony Fri 02-Oct-26 03:50:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Oct-26 06:46:51

Well have they been invited ? You say you they probably know about it but if they don’t and then don’t show up you ll just feel it s been confirmed they don’t want to be there but that won’t be true if they haven’t been invited will it ?

Shouldn’t this be abut your mother and what she would like and I m sure she’d love to have ALL her grandchildren around her wouldn’t she ?
Whatever your problems with your children are, it shouldn’t influence them seeing their nan, or her seeing them.

Be very careful you are not projecting your feelings onto your mums relationship with your estranged children

PamelaJ1 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:25:55

BlueBelle is right. Make sure they know about it and would be welcome. Then if they turn up make them welcome.
It is not our place to comment on your relationship with your children, happens.

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 07:28:16

Make sure they are invited.
That's what I'd do.

Shel1951 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:34:40

Yes,make sure thay are invited then its up to them

DogWhisperer Fri 02-Oct-26 07:42:26

BlueBelle, when I was a kid I knew when my parents' and grandparents' birthdays were without being told. Also, there are things called diaries which people can put dates in if they have bad memories. Also, in this digital age when kids go round with their faces in their smartphones all the time, there are digital diaries which will remind you of upcoming anniversaries and how old people are. I have one such on my iPhone. So yes, if the kids don't show up or at least send a card, I think it will reflect badly on them and indicate that they don't care.

Besides which, we can't contact the kids from their own choice. One of them hasn't responded to our efforts to reach out over the first five years so we have now stopped trying, and the other has responded only with abuse and threats to contact the police if we try to contact him again.

However, as I already said, if the kids do show up, I'm going to act in a civilised way, and I hope they are now mature enough to do the same.

Svtk492 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:58:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 09:04:00

Have the grandchildren actually put the event IN their phone BlueBelle?
How would they know there was a "party" planned?

Basgetti Fri 02-Oct-26 09:07:19

Hmm, wonder why they’re “estranged”?…..

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 09:07:48

If they are avoiding the OP if they do want to visit they will obviously avoid the day planned by her.

Esmay Fri 02-Oct-26 09:12:38

Invite the grandchildren and try to make your Mother's special day wonderful for her .
I went through three miserable years with my Father over family estrangement.
I tried and failed to smooth things over,but I'm glad that I tried.

DogWhisperer Fri 02-Oct-26 11:54:31

NotSpaghetti

Have the grandchildren actually put the event IN their phone BlueBelle?
How would they know there was a "party" planned?

They would know there was a party planned in the same way that I did. I saw it was her birthday coming up so I emailed my brother and sister and said "hey guys, what are we doing for Mum's 90th?" I didn't include our kids in the email because they have made it clear that they don't want any contact from us, about this or anything else. So I am respecting their boundaries and preserving their peace (to use the current buzz-words).

poppysmum Fri 02-Oct-26 12:24:54

i think it is a shame that they have not visited their grandma especially as they had so much enjoyment with her
can the estrangement be sorted at all? if your mum does not know who is the estrangement with?
i think especially if your mum has not full understanding then it would be very confusing for her with two children missing. is there anyone who could reach out explain the occasion and ask if they would just for an hour put everything aside for their gran?
btw i think the photos will be a lovely idea they do seem to understand the past more than the present so it will be a lovely happy trip down memory lane

Casdon Fri 02-Oct-26 12:39:10

Why not tell the family members who have most likely told them about the party to invite them, at a pre agreed specific time when your husband and yourself will not be there, so they won’t bump into you? It’s their grandma’s special day, and it would be a shame for her if an estrangement which has nothing to do with her affects her enjoyment that day.

Bellanonna Fri 02-Oct-26 12:56:50

Hopefully the estranged children will pay their Gran a visit on, say, the day before her birthday. They can apologise and say they couldn’t make it on the 6th I think both they and you would feel very tense if you were all there together. I’m not sure you should send an invitation either given that the estrangement has been 6 years. Maybe another family member could suggest they pay a separate visit as Gran would love to see them. I’m wondering, in fact, when she did last see them?

PamelaJ1 Fri 02-Oct-26 13:07:30

I can’t help thinking about an incident in our close family and one that is going on at the moment.
The advice I gave 15 years ago was - just be nice- the person that I said this to was, I believe, the wronged party.
My advice today is the same.
If you are nice you generally ‘win’ in the end. Even if the contretemps continues you will have nothing to blame yourself for.
Make it as easy as possible for your mother to see them. You will hold the moral high ground. A good place to be?

twiglet77 Fri 02-Oct-26 13:54:44

Perhaps it’s not the soon-to-be 90 year old that they want to avoid… just a thought. Clearly there’s no love lost between you and them.

stillawipp Fri 02-Oct-26 15:43:52

Crikey. Sometimes you can just see why people are estranged, can't you?

CarrotTop Fri 02-Oct-26 16:06:29

It's a tricky one but I guess all you can do is go ahead without actively expecting your children to come. If they do, try to keep a polite distance and just be happy that your mother is getting to see them. If they don't come, you'll need to be on your toes if she asks where they are, but try to have a little stock of non-inflammatory replies ready in our mind, so you aren't caught on the hop. I would definitely not allow the estrangement into the situation at all. Make sure the day is all about her, not you and your kids, and the hours will pass quickly enough. Then it'll be behind you and you can plod onwards (until the next tricky time). Good luck.

Smileless2012 Fri 02-Oct-26 16:23:06

I can understand why this is difficult for you DogWhisperer which with the best will in the world is difficult for anyone not estranged from their AC to understand, and may account for the deleted posts which I didn't see, but can imagine their content flowers.

As your post @ 7.42 clearly demonstrates, you're not in a position to contact your AC about your mum's upcoming birthday. One you are unable to contact and the other has responded to previous attempts with abuse and threats to contact the police.

It does happen when parents are estranged that GP's are too. This happened to my mum who never saw her only GGC and my m.i.l. had very little contact with our ES and his children.

It seems to me very unlikely that they'll turn up on the day knowing that you'll be there, and it also seems unlikely that they'll visit at all if they've made no effort to contact her since you were estranged.

If they do then my advice is to do what you've said you will do; be civil.

I hope if they do decide to acknowledge their GM's birthday they do so without being present on the day.

Unnecessarily cruel responses Basgetti and stillawipp and I have to say I found yours particularly shocking stillawipp as someone whose experienced estrangement by their AC. How would you have felt if during that time, what you've said to DogWhisperer had been said to you?

stillawipp Fri 02-Oct-26 16:36:56

On the contrary, I think my post is more useful to others precisely because I have experienced estrangement, realised what I was doing, & am now reconciled. It was exactly what someone said to me during my estrangement, & one of the reasons why I woke up to myself and how I was acting.